Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
So- I'm in school and want an iPad.

Want it for the basics- internet, games, movies, apps, etc.

My friend has the regular mini. It's a great size, and works for her as she carries a purse. I always have thought the regular one (mom has a 2) was just too big to carry anywhere. I'm jealous of my friend whipping hers out whereever she is.

So- I'm looking to get one. I love the size of the mini. But see for me, I don't carry a bag with me unless its my bookbag so a mini isn't such the perfect fit.

My logic is if I'm carrying a backpack anyways and have my mini in it, I could go ahead and put the regular one in there instead.

So I have to choose between a mini (would probably wait for the retina) or choose between a regular iPad 4 or wait for the supposedly redesigned 5.

Any input to help me make my mind up?

tl;dr basically, if I have to carry around a bag for the mini iPad, would it make sense just to get the full sized one? And if so, should I get the 4 or wait for the 5?

Last edited:

guyjol

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Well it depends how much are you willing to pay. For me since I can't replace my laptop with an iPad for my classes I can't justify 500$ for an iPad to stay at home. However the mini for what it use it for ( PDF, calendar, gaming) is perfect and I can Easely take it everywhere with me

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Well it depends how much are you willing to pay. For me since I can't replace my laptop with an iPad for my classes I can't justify 500$ for an iPad to stay at home. However the mini for what it use it for ( PDF, calendar, gaming) is perfect and I can Easely take it everywhere with me

Suppose I take money out of the picture. I was planning on a high memory mini or could do a smaller memory big probably. Not worried about that, more about which size is appropriate.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I chose a mini for its portability & small size. It easily fits in with my MBP which I carry daily. Overall it's a nice tablet and meets my needs very well. I'd probably like a larger one better but I'm not willing to stuff one more thing that size into my bag.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
But at that point, if you have a bag too, it would be very easy to toss the larger iPad in the bad instead, right? I would personally leave my laptop at home so that wouldn't bother me.

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Go with iPad Mini - Max memory and Cellular

Hi bkribbs,

I have all the iPads up to and including the iPad3.

Currently I only use the iPad3 rarely and iPad Mini 99% of the time. I will definitely upgrade my mini if retina is available. I hope there is a 128 GB option. I also plan to upgrade to a 15 inch haswell rMBP when available

The Mini is outstanding and is sized for every day carry. I just stick it under my arm and go. It is my goto device.

Since you will be carrying it all the time you can easily fill up 64 GB and cellular connectivity is a must.

For reference, I also have an iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, Apple TV, 2 MBP 13s, and a Mac Mini.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
But at that point, if you have a bag too, it would be very easy to toss the larger iPad in the bad instead, right?

That implies you only care about the smaller size for portability, and not for usability. I like it for both reasons. (And, you can't neglect the fact that it's $170 cheaper than it's full-sized counterpart.)

Concerning portability, I'll carry it around by hand (it's in a case with a cover, so fairly protected), or I'll put it in the side pocket of cargo shorts or pants. I also have a zippered gear pouch that's just big enough to fit (straight from the tool section of Home Depot) which is as close as I care to get to a man purse (more of a "clutch", really :rolleyes: ).

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
So mini is the way to go and just carry it by hand everywhere?

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
As of right now, it's a trade off. Apple has given themselves room to improve everywhere. The full size iPad needs to go thinner and lighter, and more Mini-like. The Mini needs retina and better internals.

I think you'll find most people here would prefer a Retina Mini and retain the same weight and size. The reality is that retina is only available in the regular iPad, and its still pretty portable but not nearly as so as the Mini.

The Mini is big enough to justify using it over an iPhone, better for games, lighter and much thinner than any regular iPad, etc... It's the form factor of choice for most but the screen is also a deal breaker.

If you don't care about the screen, and I promise, if you use the Mini for a while you really won't care, then just go with the Mini. Then again there is also the dilemma of the Mini having outdated iPad 2 internals.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
As of right now, it's a trade off. Apple has given themselves room to improve everywhere. The full size iPad needs to go thinner and lighter, and more Mini-like. The Mini needs retina and better internals.

I think you'll find most people here would prefer a Retina Mini and retain the same weight and size. The reality is that retina is only available in the regular iPad, and its still pretty portable but not nearly as so as the Mini.

The Mini is big enough to justify using it over an iPhone, better for games, lighter and much thinner than any regular iPad, etc... It's the form factor of choice for most but the screen is also a deal breaker.

If you don't care about the screen, and I promise, if you use the Mini for a while you really won't care, then just go with the Mini. Then again there is also the dilemma of the Mini having outdated iPad 2 internals.

Suppose I wait for the updates. Retina mini then or thinner smaller 5?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Suppose I wait for the updates. Retina mini then or thinner smaller 5?

I just sold a mini and got a ipad 4. Put up with it for 8 months. Mini screen is too small and the current no retina is crap. Good for women and kids. Get 4 now or if not urgent wait for 5.
My 2c for what it's worth.

Ps if anyone can't carry a ipad4 around they would better putting money towards a gym membership:eek:

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I just sold a mini and got a ipad 4. Put up with it for 8 months. Mini screen is too small and the current no retina is crap. Good for women and kids. Get 4 now or if not urgent wait for 5.
My 2c for what it's worth.

Ps if anyone can't carry a ipad4 around they would better putting money towards a gym membership:eek:

So even a retina mini wouldn't be good enough?

Qwertylizer

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Europe
I currently have a mini and I'm very pleased with it. I really like the form factor versus bigger iPad (1,2,3,4), the weight and narrow bezels. Much better looking and nicer to use.

However I've noticed that I read a lot of magazines and newspapers with it and for that the screen size is pretty small but for reading books it's excellent. I'm longing for the bigger 9,7" screen but I don't like the big and heavy iPad 4 and I had iPad 2 before the mini came.

So the solution for me is that I'm waiting for the new iPad 5. I hope it is much lighter and smaller than iPad 4 due to narrower bezels and new form factor. I hope it comes exactly between the iPad 4 and the mini.

I suggest that you too wait until the new iPad 5 and mini are released and make your decision then.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Gotcha. It seems like I may go for the 5 when it comes out if the look is of the iPad mini design.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I personally don't know why anyone buys the full sized iPad. It's much heavier, the current one doesn't look nearly as sleek, and the screen size is only about 20% larger. Even with the screen size potentially being why some buy the full-sized iPad, I don't even see how iPad tasks (Netflix, web browsing, reading, games) need the full-sized screen vs. the already quite large Mini's size screen. And things like reading are actually harder to do on the full-sized iPad because of the weight, unless you have it propped up on a desk or something.

I understand the graphics are more powerful, but for 98% of iPad users, who aren't running editing apps and what not, it's not much of a difference. That, and the retina screen is obviously the deciding factor right now. But certainly by October (if the mini gets retina) then I could certainly not justify spending $600+ on something that I consider worse in some regards.

Imo, a tablet experience should be light, because if you're propping it up on a desk or something anyway, you might as well be on your laptop.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I personally don't know why anyone buys the full sized iPad. It's much heavier, the current one doesn't look nearly as sleek, and the screen size is only about 20% larger. Even with the screen size potentially being why some buy the full-sized iPad, I don't even see how iPad tasks (Netflix, web browsing, reading, games) need the full-sized screen vs. the already quite large Mini's size screen. And things like reading are actually harder to do on the full-sized iPad because of the weight, unless you have it propped up on a desk or something.

I understand the graphics are more powerful, but for 98% of iPad users, who aren't running editing apps and what not, it's not much of a difference. That, and the retina screen is obviously the deciding factor right now. But certainly by October (if the mini gets retina) then I could certainly not justify spending $600+ on something that I consider worse in some regards.

Imo, a tablet experience should be light, because if you're propping it up on a desk or something anyway, you might as well be on your laptop.

Just a matter of opinion. Many want the mini over the larger model. Many are tired of the mini, and going back to the larger offering if you had bothered to read this forum a tad longer. You have your opinion, but its not shared with everyone, so the remark above in bold does not make sense since you don't speak for everyone.

1. Full size, better screen (Retina) for one's eye's, and that is a big deal for many that are waiting for the mini to have it.

2. More content visible with web pages, etc

3. Better gaming experience. This is one reason why some complain about the display size on the iPhone being too small for their gaming, and want it wider/larger. Same with the iPad mini. Too small for some. Many want it larger so the games are more visible, and playable.

Next iPad 5 maybe lighter for those that want it light. But others think the current model is not that heavy.

Where did you get the 98% of users stuff from running editing apps and not much of a difference ? Link please :confused:

Prop it up on a desk comment is silly. One does not have to prop it up on a desk.

Sex

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
So- I'm in school and want an iPad.

Want it for the basics- internet, games, movies, apps, etc.

My friend has the regular mini. It's a great size, and works for her as she carries a purse. I always have thought the regular one (mom has a 2) was just too big to carry anywhere. I'm jealous of my friend whipping hers out whereever she is.

So- I'm looking to get one. I love the size of the mini. But see for me, I don't carry a bag with me unless its my bookbag so a mini isn't such the perfect fit.

My logic is if I'm carrying a backpack anyways and have my mini in it, I could go ahead and put the regular one in there instead.

So I have to choose between a mini (would probably wait for the retina) or choose between a regular iPad 4 or wait for the supposedly redesigned 5.

Any input to help me make my mind up?

tl;dr basically, if I have to carry around a bag for the mini iPad, would it make sense just to get the full sized one? And if so, should I get the 4 or wait for the 5?

I moved from ipad 2 to the mini. Don't wait just do it. It's great value for what it offers. I go to college and its PERFECT

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Just a matter of opinion. Many want the mini over the larger model. Many are tired of the mini, and going back to the larger offering if you had bothered to read this forum a tad longer. You have your opinion, but its not shared with everyone, so the remark above in bold does not make sense since you don't speak for everyone.

1. Full size, better screen (Retina) for one's eye's, and that is a big deal for many that are waiting for the mini to have it.

2. More content visible with web pages, etc

3. Better gaming experience. This is one reason why some complain about the display size on the iPhone being too small for their gaming, and want it wider/larger. Same with the iPad mini. Too small for some. Many want it larger so the games are more visible, and playable.

Next iPad 5 maybe lighter for those that want it light. But others think the current model is not that heavy.

Where did you get the 98% of users stuff from running editing apps and not much of a difference ? Link please :confused:

Prop it up on a desk comment is silly. One does not have to prop it up on a desk.

Thanks for being an ass for absolutely no reason. Excuse you. My post was not meant for you or anyone else, it was meant for the OP to help him decide by providing him with my opinion on iPads. Never in my post did I say "No one should buy the full sized iPad" or "Everyone thinks the iPad Mini is better". Everything I said is obviously my opinion.

Btw, with the points you made:

1) I already mentioned that in my post (see below)
That, and the retina screen is obviously the deciding factor right now.

2) You're right, this is a very valid point and reason as to why people would buy the full-sized iPad instead. Thanks for contributing to help the OP decide.

3) This is another reason, but in my opinion (as I always say when I'm about to state an opinion of mine) I think the majority of games run just fine on the Mini's graphics, as well as the iPad4's graphics. I stated editing apps because those require full use of graphics almost to the point of throttling.

I say 98% because I know there are very few who actually use iPads for things like music production, editing, etc. Here's a link to my source: http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy1jYTFkN2QxMDliMmVhZWRm.png ;)

*Nothing to do here*

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
After playing on my friends mini, I've decided that anything larger then that is just too awkward for holding and playing games on and such. Waiting for the next update and if its retina I'll get it, if not, I'll probably buy a refurb of the current model.

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Sounds like the mini is what you want for suit ing your needs. If you game a lot you may want to wait for the beefed up processor of the next gen. I have used the mini and have no use for it. I dog have a need for portability in an iPad. I use my iPad 4 at home when I'm out my iphone is plenty.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Sounds like the mini is what you want for suit ing your needs. If you game a lot you may want to wait for the beefed up processor of the next gen. I have used the mini and have no use for it. I dog have a need for portability in an iPad. I use my iPad 4 at home when I'm out my iphone is plenty.

I don't game a lot, but the occasional one, and the big one would just be kind of awkward. If only it would be released soon... What do you all think about what I say in relation to buying one compared to their updates?

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
After playing on my friends mini, I've decided that anything larger then that is just too awkward for holding and playing games on and such. Waiting for the next update and if its retina I'll get it, if not, I'll probably buy a refurb of the current model.

If your main focus is gaming then I'm sure a mini will suffice. However, if you want to get more out of your tablet than just gaming and basic entertainment apps then I would suggest you test out your mom's iPad 2 with some productivity apps (ie Page, iAnnotate, Goodreader, etc). As a student myself I have been able to largely replace my laptop with my iPad, which I feel would not be possible with a mini. I can't imagine reading, annotating, and highlight entire textbooks on a mini. And like you said, you carry a backpack anyways. But if you find that you have carry around your laptop in your backpack too because your mini can't get the real work done, then is a mini actually more convenient?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
If your main focus is gaming then I'm sure a mini will suffice. However, if you want to get more out of your tablet than just gaming and basic entertainment apps then I would suggest you test out your mom's iPad 2 with some productivity apps (ie Page, iAnnotate, Goodreader, etc). As a student myself I have been able to largely replace my laptop with my iPad, which I feel would not be possible with a mini. I can't imagine reading, annotating, and highlight entire textbooks on a mini. And like you said, you carry a backpack anyways. But if you find that you have carry around your laptop in your backpack too because your mini can't get the real work done, then is a mini actually more convenient?

I pretty much take notes with pen and paper so that doesn't matter. I would mostly be using it for internet and reading books. I can handle the print on the internet on the mini I think, only thing I'm not sure of is books.

If I'm not planning on taking notes with it (some teachers wouldn't allow it, and still I don't think it'd be as easy as notes) do you think a mini would work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.