Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antjefferson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I am considering picking up on of the newly released StorEDGE™ Flash Memory Expansion Module (64GB):
https://www3.pny.com/StorEDGE-Flash-Memory-Expansion-Module-64GB-P3407C591.aspx

I am curious if anyone has seen a review yet, or, better yet, had a chance to try it out for themselves. Since they say that (at least TECHNICALLY) it isn't a SD card, I am wondering if my MBA would still be unable to go into standby mode with it in the SDXC slot. Also - I have heard some have had trouble getting SD cards to mount again after the computer wakes from it's slumber.

Any suggestions? My SSD is only 256GB - so if one of these will add an additional 64GB that would be awesome. Thanks!

just1ed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
That looks like a ripoff Nifty drive on Kickstarter. Either that, or Kickstarter ripped off their idea. Except PNY's is a single product solution instead of an adaptor.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Are you sure it doesn't stick out? None of the photos on the PNY site show it sitting flush, unless I missed it.

The selling point is that it is nearly flush. If it protrudes like a normal SD card then it won't be selling too well.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Looks like that was funded in August last year, and still not shipped yet unfortunately. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive/posts

The PNY flash is not at all like the Nifty MiniDrive, and has no relationship to this Kickstarter project. The PNY StorEdge is the full SDXH card, while MiniDrive (and its iterations) are the SD-to-microSD adapters. The big advantage of PNY card is that you can get up to 128GB in storage, while microSD cards are currently limited to 64GB.

It doesn't stick out.

Incorrect. It does stick out, although a lot less than a standard SD drive. I actually like the fact that it sticks out a bit - this makes it easily removable, unlike the MiniDrive, which requires special removal tool.

PNY-StorEdge-128gb.jpg

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
It is great. I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SD and the StorEDGE. The StorEDGE is exceptionally fast. It's very very fast. 60 MB/s write and 80 MB/s read. I tested this with AJA System Test. The SanDisk is miserably slow in comparison: 10 MB/s write; 30 MB/s read. It sticks out a little, but it's not in the way. I hardly notice it. I was going to get a MiniDrive or Nifty Drive adapter but not anymore. I'm very impressed with the StorEDGE.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Is the flash storage any different than what is being used in SD cards? I can't imagine putting data on one of those things that the computer reads/writes to frequently and wear it out. Interesting idea.

Opp

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I ran across these today in best buy, instantly thought to come here and make this thread.

I'm regretting my nifty drive now. I can deal with a little edge sticking out for 128gb and the increased speed. I'm assuming these are just as durable as sd cards, sounds like a winner :cool:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I ran across these today in best buy, instantly thought to come here and make this thread.

I'm regretting my nifty drive now. I can deal with a little edge sticking out for 128gb and the increased speed. I'm assuming these are just as durable as sd cards, sounds like a winner :cool:

$199.99 for 128GB though, I wish it was a little cheaper. Interested in selling your nifty mini drive?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
It is great. I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SD and the StorEDGE. The StorEDGE is exceptionally fast. It's very very fast. 60 MB/s write and 80 MB/s read. I tested this with AJA System Test. The SanDisk is miserably slow in comparison: 10 MB/s write; 30 MB/s read. It sticks out a little, but it's not in the way. I hardly notice it. I was going to get a MiniDrive or Nifty Drive adapter but not anymore. I'm very impressed with the StorEDGE.

Since you have this, can you please test a few things for me if possible?

1) Put the PNY StorEDGE into the slot and put the machine to sleep - open lid - is it still mounted?

2) Put the PNY StorEDGE into slot and shut down the computer - power on - is it still mounted?

3) This one is the most important one - dunno if u willing to test it out - but let your battery die (or let the laptop go into hibernation) - attach power adapter- power on - is it still mounted?

because I know the Nifty MiniDrive had an issue with one of those 3, my SanDisk Cruzer FIT to date has the issue with 3rd option and since it takes up the USB port, I would like to replace it with PNY StoreEDGE instead

Thanks in advance

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I order 128gb module from BH, it seem best solution up to date. Regular cards and flash drives sticking out a lot and I need something permanent there. Also seem fast, I read different reports on USB3 flash drives, some are slow and flimsy. Ideally I wish to use it for 1-2 Parallels images with Win8 and Win7 and movies/photo images :)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I order 128gb module from BH, it seem best solution up to date. Regular cards and flash drives sticking out a lot and I need something permanent there. Also seem fast, I read different reports on USB3 flash drives, some are slow and flimsy. Ideally I wish to use it for 1-2 Parallels images with Win8 and Win7 and movies/photo images :)

Can you please test these for me if possible:

1) Put the PNY StorEDGE into the slot and put the machine to sleep - open lid - is it still mounted?

2) Put the PNY StorEDGE into slot and shut down the computer - power on - is it still mounted?

3) This one is the most important one - dunno if u willing to test it out - but let your battery die (or let the laptop go into hibernation) - attach power adapter- power on - is it still mounted?

because I know the Nifty MiniDrive had an issue with one of those 3, my SanDisk Cruzer FIT to date has the issue with 3rd option and since it takes up the USB port, I would like to replace it with PNY StoreEDGE instead

Thanks in advance

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011

Thanks in advance

OK, give me some time. I should get it next week.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011

Thanks in advance

I did first two tests -> card still mounted, will do #3 soon. Did speed test with AJA System Test and it shows write speed 40-45mb/s, read 80-85mb/sec, which is pretty fast. I am running Win8 parallels from it fine too.

Giuly

macrumors 68040

There is however a SanDisk Extreme, which is as fast as the PNY.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I did first two tests -> card still mounted, will do #3 soon. Did speed test with AJA System Test and it shows write speed 40-45mb/s, read 80-85mb/sec, which is pretty fast. I am running Win8 parallels from it fine too.

Can you also share a pic of how much the thing sticks out? I have the same rMBP as you, I know all different Macbooks have different sized Card slots (depth is different)

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
There is however a SanDisk Extreme, which is as fast as the PNY.

Regular SD sticks way more out, I have several SD cards as well. Also in this size/speed Sandisk not as much different in price. One in your link is just 32gb, really nothing for me. You could also use usb3 flash drive which is fast but flimsy and sticks out even more. So, I believe PNY did right thing for my MBPR.

Last edited:

Trubbles

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
After watching this for the past year, and constantly feeling the squeeze on my 256 GB SSD (in my 15" rMBP) I think this new product is a no-brainer...

60-80 MB/sec read and 40 MB/sec write is nowhere near the speed of an SSD, but is fast enough to use for storage. I am in Canada but BH seems to have no problem shipping to Canada (and taking care of duties).

Thanks to everyone else in this post for the info :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.