Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EA today announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2, the sequel to its popular lane defense game Plants vs. Zombies, has been downloaded nearly 25 million times since being released on August 15.

To accompany the announcement, EA has released a new infographic that shares some fun information about the game, including the fact that Plants vs. Zombies 2 downloads have already exceeded the total lifetime downloads for Plants vs. Zombies.

While the first expansion for the Plants vs. Zombies 2, "Far Future," has already been announced, our sister site TouchArcade has a new video that hints at another upcoming update involving aliens.

PopCap blasted us a mysterious pseudo-trailer for what we're thinking might be the first clue for the next Plants vs. Zombies 2 update. It's little more than a zombie standing in a field, the camera pans out... And it's a huge crop circle corn maze sort of thing.
Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' Nears 25 Million Downloads, PopCap Teases 'Crop Circle' Video

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Alien zombies, obviously.

----------

One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.

I normally loathe IAP games, but PvZ2 is actually one of the more enjoyable and user-friendly IAP based games I've seen. My wife has played through most of it and hasn't had to spend a dime yet. Yes, she sometimes goes back to earn some coins for special powers, but since there's lots of challenges that you can earn stars/keys anyway, that's not a problem. PvZ2 has a very friendly IAP.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
The little missions are fun, and sometimes frustratingly hard unless you spend the game currency. Which I try to avoid.

But at least the initial price is 'free'. I hate buying an app to find out there's IAP available for 'bonus' features as well.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

100% enjoyable without using IAP. Those items just get you to the end faster, and why do that? Very fun and addicting game. The new plants make up for the few original plants you have to buy to get.

Just ignore the IAPs and you're golden.

borneo76

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Indonesia
People just neet to stop complaining and start playing the game, never use IAP so far and im fine,.....even i complete most of the level :)

rb0435

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
EZ to complete without IAP. People whining about IAP for PvZ 2 obviously haven't even played the game.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

With a little bit of knowledge it is not difficult to obtain a looooot of the in game currencies all without jailbreaking :D

So instead of getting a bigger upfront payment from me they now basically receive nothing.

----------

I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.
It's not PopCap anymore, it's EA!:(

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So far, I've played for 6 hours and this game has cost me absolutely nothing and I've had plenty of fun. Why do people complain at this point is beyond me.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
i played a few hours last night had a ton of fun kept me occupied while i was shopping with my gf. who cares about in-app-purchases really u don't need them to have fun,plus it's free lol.

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore...

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
This is the best game on iPhone and is completely free .. Yes, some things are locked but none of them are mandatory to progress or to complete the game .. I have finished the first two worlds and got all of the stars without paying a single cent ..

Also, I feel that Popcap is way too generous with the amount of coins that are given in the game .. For example, I have over 100k in-game coins at the moment because I have never used the "gesture powers" which feel like cheating in my opinion ..

So, I don't actually understand why people complain about this F2P model .. I just hope that they 'll continue in the same way and not demand from us to pay real money to unlock new worlds in the future ..

25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore…

Are there ?? Free ?? Please name a few because I would like to play them .. (no sarcasm)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.