Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Odd Behaviour from Safari on MR

on my iPhone 5 i can't even get into the ios7 forums keeps crashing. It's only this site everything else works just fine. it just crashed my mac too lol

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I know this is not the usual kind of post in this section, but is there any reason why, as of tonight, I cannot open MR Forums on my Mac without it instantly crashing? Other sites work fine, but MR seems to crash it every time. I have reset Safari. No change.

Typing this on my iPhone as I can't do it on my Mac...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I know this is not the usual kind of post in this section, but is there any reason why, as of tonight, I cannot open MR Forums on my Mac without it instantly crashing? Other sites work fine, but MR seems to crash it every time. I have reset Safari. No change.

Someone keeps posting that Arabic exploit that was published yesterday and it is crashing browsers, Chrome and Safari.

I just downloaded Firefox on my laptop and it seems to be running fine.

We're looking for the culprits and taking appropriate action against them.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Typing this on my iPhone as I can't do it on my Mac...

I'm experiencing the same.

rMBP

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Someone keeps posting that Arabic exploit that was published yesterday and it is crashing browsers, Chrome and Safari.

I just downloaded Firefox on my laptop and it seems to be running fine.

We're looking for the culprits and taking appropriate action against them.
When they post that text in a thread, it only crashes if you open that thread. But if they post it in a thread title, it will also crash if that thread title appears in Forum Spy or New Posts or search results, etc. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that forum members keep responding to such threads, which bumps them up on the list again. It's better to simply report the offending post and not respond to the thread.

Why can't that text be added to the profanity filter, so it's automatically nuked when anyone attempts to post it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Why can't that text be added to the profanity filter, so it's automatically nuked when anyone attempts to post it?

I believe it was added last night, but there was doubt that it was going to work in every case.

Don't ask me how or why not, since I don't have access to that stuff. Maybe Arn, WildCowboy or Doctor Q can chime in later on that topic.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I believe it was added last night, but there was doubt that it was going to work in every case.

Don't ask me how or why not, since I don't have access to that stuff. Maybe Arn, WildCowboy or Doctor Q can chime in later on that topic.

i can say for a fact that thursday afternoon eastern standard time macrumors was crashing safari hard core..so it started even before friday.

edit: also it wasn't just my Mac, any device running safari crashed for me, iphone was the worst.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Also confirming the same.... for the last couple of days (maybe earlier?), Safari has random unexpected quits when I'm reading MacRumors forum threads. No crashes from other websites.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
It's because of the Arabic character exploit most likely. Though I never crashed at all the last week or so. MR has frozen or become slow to load on me a few times though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.