Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
Its a store in Arundel Mills mall in Hanover called Cyberion. A coworker of mine heard it on a police scanner when it was going down. We went to the mall for lunch and stopped by the store to see what it looked like and everything looked normal. Im guessing they just cleared out all the stuff in the stockroom.

JPBoram

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
This is lame!

I cant believe that people can do this to a little shop!

People buy these cheaper refurbished iPhones and they KNOW that they are counter fit, or "NON-OEM" This is a RIP!

VaultFeed said something worth noting:

http://vaultfeed.com/counterfeit-iphone-and-apple-products-taken-by-police-worth-89000-video/

Auto Parts businesses sell "NON-OEM" parts, but they don't get busted?

Why don't we all have the freedom to use the parts we want, when we want!

I think Apple just wants to control the quality of their products! But even the most long-term-reliable auto makers like Honda have MILLIONs of counterfeit parts sold yearly, and they don't go around getting everyone in trouble because people have "less of a quality experience" This doesn't make sense to me! Why can police steal a poor shops stuff because of this?

I DONT think that the cops can really do something like this.

Don't you agree with me that if they cant bust auto-part makers how is the device and device repair world any different? PLESE TELL...

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

People buy these cheaper refurbished iPhones and they KNOW that they are counter fit, or "NON-OEM" This is a RIP!

http://vaultfeed.com/counterfeit-iphone-and-apple-products-taken-by-police-worth-89000-video/

I think Apple just wants to control the quality of their products! But even the most long-term-reliable auto makers like Honda have MILLIONs of counterfeit parts sold yearly, and they don't go around getting everyone in trouble because people have "less of a quality experience" This doesn't make sense to me! Why can police steal a poor shops stuff because of this?

Don't you agree with me that if they cant bust auto-part makers how is the device and device repair world any different? PLESE TELL...

I dont think you understand what counterfeit means. Non OEM parts are not sold as original ones, if they are then they are breaking the law.

These products were being sold as original apple products when they are not, which is illegal and potentially dangerous.

JPBoram

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
lol

I dont think you understand what counterfeit means. Non OEM parts are not sold as original ones, if they are then they are breaking the law.

These products were being sold as original apple products when they are not, which is illegal and potentially dangerous.

But do you really think that people are dumb enough to believe that a bright pink iPhone is original?

People are so dumb...

And if they really were telling people they were original then they are really dumb!!

but I think its the "Apple logo" that they don't like...

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
But do you really think that people are dumb enough to believe that a bright pink iPhone is original?

People are so dumb...

And if they really were telling people they were original then they are really dumb!!

but I think its the "Apple logo" that they don't like...

Yes, the average consumer doesn't know enough to know that apple hadn't released a bright pink iPhone. If the man in the shop says it apple, most consumers will believe it.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013

They are illegal because they had the apple logo on them. If they simply sold parts that had all of the logos removed then there would be no issues. Ideally the police should have only taken the items that had the logo on them, like back plates for example.

The screens and other non branded parts are perfectly legal as long as they aren't trying to sell them as official.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Yes, the average consumer doesn't know enough to know that apple hadn't released a bright pink iPhone. If the man in the shop says it apple, most consumers will believe it.

I think the only way for some of us to understand this would be to pick something we know almost nothing about and would not know what is official and what is not. To many of us it makes people look borderline stupid, like how can they not know these things. Another point would be I tend to know what I'm buying or at least learn how things work before buying. I do this with everything that it applies to. Like people buying large HD TV's than hooking up 480i stretched pan and hack content to it and then wonder why it looks so bad. Or the person that smashed everything inside their computer because they didn't know what a hard drive looked like. GOOGLE IT! I felt like using ************************** because it was just too ridiculous. Too many people don't take ten minutes to learn the most basic things.

So with bad luck maybe they are going to said shop to gather information and that is what they get. Depending how far it goes it can be a bit unfair to call people stupid even if it appears that way at first.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
.. which are identified how exactly?

any big name retailer, which has a contract or account with apple in order to sell their products.

i highly doubt the sketchy mobile phone kiosk next to the food court selling generic pink iphone cases studded with jewels is an authorized apple retailer. i would never purchase anything from them. they sell the same knock off or cheap products you see walking on the streets of manhattan.

only buy apple branded stuff from an official apple retailer. infact, just tonight, i saw headphones at 7-11 for $9.99. they were exact copies of the newest apple earpods....right down to the plastic case. it wasnt branded as apple or anything though.

if people are selling apple looking or apple knockoff stuff or parts, so be it. i have zero issues with that. but once they start selling it and trying to pass it off as genuine, thats what i have an issue with.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I wonder how many Americans got fooled by the extremely sophisticated iPhone clones?

Attachments

• ciphone.jpg
    ciphone.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 53

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Do people actually think cheetah print iPhone back covers with the Apple logo on it are authentic?

It's not the point. You can produce and sell as many as many "cheata" backs as you like and it totally legal - as long as there is no Apple logo on it. The Apple logo is the key point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.