Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
no thanks the white iphone is still the best iphone variant. but, the graphite iphone looks quiet cool though.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I voted it up. Tim's stern words keep coming back to me as the new iPhones are laid out for the world to see. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see people walking around using the new phones or selling them on Craigslist.

We'll see how gracefully he handles it. "Stop me if you've seen this" is a tough act to follow.

How many thousand times do you want to see it?Do you think you're sending Tim some kind of message?You DO know Tim never does right?How idiotic.
It's just brain dead at this point.Like "snappy"Safari.

smh

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Which version of the S4? The one Samsung sells in the US is of lower quality in terms of processor performance then else place in the world. Further, everytime I pick up a Samsung phone I am amazed at how cheap they feel. The plastic back on the S4 is low quality plastic. Moreover, unlike the iPhone which feels like fine jewelry in terms of construction, the S4 does not have a high quality feel. The only thing that looks nice about the S4 is the larger screen. If I were to go Android, which I wouldn't (I'd go Windows phone first), I would have bought the HTC One which received great reviews in terms of construction. The S4 received luke warms reviews.

I also have too many bad memories of Samsung and Motorola phones before the iPhone to even think of buying a product from either of those companies ever again.

I'm in Australia, so it's the international snapdragon quad core version. I did look at the HTC one and was very tempted but there has been a lot of complaints about build quality, with many owners complaining of gaps and uneven edges on thier so called "seamless" constructed devices. I did see this on a lot of the store examples too, and that was on brand new devices when they were first released. Nice phone but the build quality was a let down for me, I could easily see what many were complaining about.
Compared to the S2 I tried a few years back (and ditched to return to Apple) the S4 feels ten times better in build quality. It's palstic, it can only be made to look and feel so good, and i think it's been done here. Personally I don't think it feels cheap, especially compared to some of the cheap plastic crap toys you find in a lot of these "discuont" shops.
I'd come back to apple for iOS, but not if they are going to keep the same tiny screen size.
You need to spend a bit of time with something else to really see the difference it makes. That's my opinion anyway.

----------

And nobody will buy that. We all know that big screen size is not innovation, I hope.

A 5" screen (no bigger IMO) would be a good improvement. Anytime Apple improves on something that already exists, they call it innovation.
People can say it now, but I can say without doubt that the customer base will grow if a bigger screened iPhone was released. That's the biggest thing that will get me to buy another iPhone. I like their products, but having moved to the S4 and thoroughly enjoying the extra screen, I won't downgrade to something that could be considered inferior.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I just switched from an iPhone 4 to an S4. I got sick of waiting for a worthwhile upgrade from Apple. It will take more than a 5" screen to get me back - it will take the following

I could understand if you switched to a respectable phone, like a Nexus 4. But the Galaxy S 4 is a truly awful device.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I could understand if you switched to a respectable phone, like a Nexus 4. But the Galaxy S 4 is a truly awful device.

Care to back that statement up with a reason? The amount of people making claims with nothing to back them up is amazing.
What makes the Nexus respectable and what makes the Galaxy awful? I have the S4 and don't see anything awful about it. Very nice screen, good build quality for plastic, doesn't seem cheap to me. Hardware is excellent.
Never interested in the Nexus 4 so won't comment just on what I've read.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I just switched from an iPhone 4 to an S4. I got sick of waiting for a worthwhile upgrade from Apple. It will take more than a 5" screen to get me back - it will take the following:

• Real customization features
  • Widgets (see above)
  • SBSettings-like feature out of the box
  • SD slot
  • user-replaceable/upgradable battery (I loved the extreme light weight of my S4 but I just had to upgrade the battery - now I have a 7500mah battery and it is well worth the bulk; I can watch multiple movies and play games for a FULL day and still have a good amount of runtime left at the end of the day)
  • USB host mode (I love that I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and actually use it much like a PC)
  • Compatibility with standardized devices, such as MHL 2.0 interfaces
  • 1080p resolution
  • 2 GB RAM
  • "virtual" buttons in addition to home (like Android's Back and Menu buttons)
  • Better task management

Oh, and the ultra-high ppi display is amazing - I can read full-page PDFs because the characters can be fully drawn, not just be blurred approximations. Reference manuals, e-books, etc. all tiny fonts fully readable whereas on the iPhone I had to zoom to a column of text for it to render. I'm re-reading an RHCE study guide, puny yet fully readable text on this 4.99" 1080p screen. :)

Not needed if the phone design doesn't suck to begin with [*]Real customization features
That's what apps are [*]Widgets (see above)
Who cares [*]SBSettings-like feature out of the box
Who cares when you have enough memory [*]SD slot
Who cares when the battery lasts more than a day already [*]user-replaceable/upgradable battery (I loved the extreme light weight of my S4 but I just had to upgrade the battery - now I have a 7500mah battery and it is well worth the bulk; I can watch multiple movies and play games for a FULL day and still have a good amount of runtime left at the end of the day)
Who cares, that is what a PC is for [*]USB host mode (I love that I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and actually use it much like a PC)
Who cares [*]Compatibility with standardized devices, such as MHL 2.0 interfaces
I'll give you this one [*]1080p resolution
Who cares if the graphics and phone work smoothly already, it wouldn't matter if it was running a 486 with 2MB RAM, as long as it worked [*]2 GB RAM
Huh? Who cares [*]"virtual" buttons in addition to home (like Android's Back and Menu buttons)
Who cares if the phone does the management for you, as it should [*]Better task management

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Not needed if the phone design doesn't suck to begin with [*]Real customization features

Well, it's needed for the iPhone - as the existence of Winterboard proves.

That's what apps are [*]Widgets (see above)

Not even close

Who cares [*]SBSettings-like feature out of the box

Anyone who wants quick access to various settings such as VPN, without having to background an app and drill down 30 levels in user-hostile convoluted menus.

Who cares when you have enough memory [*]SD slot

People who have ripped their 300 CD collection, and 400 DVD collection. 32GB or even 64GB is not enough.

Who cares when the battery lasts more than a day already [*]user-replaceable/upgradable battery

People who travel.

Who cares, that is what a PC is for [*]USB host mode (I love that I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and actually use it much like a PC)

Photographers who want to tether their cameras. That you have no clue how convergence and integration can benefit users does not mean the phone should be incapable of it. I bet you don't care about AV or MHL capability, either. Hell, you probably don't even know what MHL is.

Who cares [*]Compatibility with standardized devices, such as MHL 2.0 interfaces

Photographers, people who travel and want to watch movies on hotel TVs on the go, people with kids who want to let their kids watch movies on hotel TVs, people who want to show off their "home movies"

I'll give you this one [*]1080p resolution

Well, at least you are sensible about something.

Who cares if the graphics and phone work smoothly already, it wouldn't matter if it was running a 486 with 2MB RAM, as long as it worked [*]2 GB RAM

iOS doesn't work smoothly. Try running memory-heavy apps and background them.

Huh? Who cares [*]"virtual" buttons in addition to home (like Android's Back and Menu buttons)

Android is amazingly user friendly now. You should try it and you will appreciate those two extra buttons. You remind me of Mac users who insisted one mouse button is the only way that makes sense, until Apple's Mighty Mouse innovation where they "invented"/"innovated" (read: copied) multiple-button mouses, then it became necessary. HEIL JOBS!!!

Who cares if the phone does the management for you, as it should [*]Better task management

iOS task management sucks moist donkey scrota.

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Admit it. You've never used android.

----------

Why are you worried about that. Apple should be worried not you unless you own stock of course lol.

Agreed - he hasn't tried it - at least not lately. my S4 is every bit as readable in daylight as my iPhone 4, task management is actually better, widgets give me info I need at a glance, and the phone is far, far, FAR more responsive than my iPhone is. Even the S3 and S2 are more responsive, if someone wants to complain that I'm comparing phones generations apart.

Also, the iOS 7 answer to the Notification Bar (or on Cydia, SBSettings) is weak at best.

Don't get me wrong - there are things Apple does better. Autocorrect, for example; even though it causes amusing gaffs in texting at times, it is better than Autocorrect on Android. Compare Siri to S-voice or google's voice control, you'd quickly discover how bad Siri is.

When I first bought an iPhone, it was because Android was far behind and immature. It was great on tablets but I absolutely hated it on the phone. Android has come a long, long way and has pretty much left iOS in the dust.

If Apple gets their act together and comes out with real upgrades I'll switch back. Until then, I'm happy with Samsung.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013

Well, it's needed for the iPhone - as the existence of Winterboard proves.
- The existence of an obscure product means it's needed?

Anyone who wants quick access to various settings such as VPN, without having to background an app and drill down 30 levels in user-hostile convoluted menus.
- Ok, iOS has the least complicated menus for getting around, but that's all opinion.

People who have ripped their 300 CD collection, and 400 DVD collection. 32GB or even 64GB is not enough.
- Who owns 400 DVDs??? Not 99% of people.

People who travel.
Fine. So which is better, bringing a charger with the Iphone? Or bring extra batteries and the charger with the Android? Or alternatively, plug it in more often with the Android?

Photographers who want to tether their cameras. That you have no clue how convergence and integration can benefit users does not mean the phone should be incapable of it. I bet you don't care about AV or MHL capability, either. Hell, you probably don't even know what MHL is.
- I have no idea what you're talking about, and neither does anyone else here. Products can't physically cater to the 0.5%. They have a finite amount of resources, so those have to be dedicated to the tasks that matter, and whatever you just said doesn't matter. Does my iphone do modal or stress analysis on the part i'm designing? No, why does it need to?

Photographers, people who travel and want to watch movies on hotel TVs on the go, people with kids who want to let their kids watch movies on hotel TVs, people who want to show off their "home movies"
- MHL compatibility is software. Software can be fixed.

Well, at least you are sensible about something.

iOS doesn't work smoothly. Try running memory-heavy apps and background them.
- Android does that when not running anything at all, it can't even scroll smoothly.

Android is amazingly user friendly now. You should try it and you will appreciate those two extra buttons. You remind me of Mac users who insisted one mouse button is the only way that makes sense, until Apple's Mighty Mouse innovation where they "invented"/"innovated" (read: copied) multiple-button mouses, then it became necessary. HEIL JOBS!!!
- I've used Android. It's better, but it's just playing catchup to iOS 6 in every way except openness, and that's not an advantage most of the time.

iOS task management sucks moist donkey scrota.
- I have no problem with it, and most people think it's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.