Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
For all 5th Gen iPod Touch owners how long does the battery lasts for you (full charge) on average if you do minimal things on the iPod such as, YouTube, a bit of Facebook, some Videos, Safari and games (non-intensive) with the Wi-Fi on? Mine last 6 hours before I get a 20% warning message. Just curious is all.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I get 7-8 hrs when it dies. Mine does weird things like i get 3-5 notifications that the is at 20%/ 10% and boots up instantly when i plug into power when at the dead battery screen.

EDIT: Got a replacement from Apple and it works fine now.

Last edited:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I get 7-8 hrs when it dies. Mine does weird things like i get 3-5 notifications that the is at 20%/ 10% and boots up instantly when i plug into power when at the dead battery screen.

I guess battery indicator is just an estimation not 100% accurate. I had the same thing happened to me. 7-8 hours is really good though, when I first bought it a month ago (8th June) I get close to 8 hours but now on average 6 hours going to 7, maybe I need to re-calibrate but it's working great so far with no issues!

Curious, what is your iPod 5G color?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your signature :p lucky you, I wanted the blue or yellow/green (whatever that shade of color is) but the store I went to only had, silver, black and pink. I chose silver 32GB.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
How Long Does Your iPod Touch 5G Lasts...

I guess battery indicator is just an estimation not 100% accurate. I had the same thing happened to me. 7-8 hours is really good though, when I first bought it a month ago (8th June) I get close to 8 hours but now on average 6 hours going to 7, maybe I need to re-calibrate but it's working great so far with no issues!

Curious, what is your iPod 5G color?

I got mine the month it came out. Sometime in october. Blue color. I rather have the silver/ black one since it gives me more choices to choose a case i would want. I have an orangey case on mine.
asa5uzem.jpg
Does it look good to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I got mine the month it came out. Sometime in october. Blue color. I rather have the silver/ black one since it gives me more choices to choose a case i would want. I have an orangey case on mine. ImageDoes it look good to you?

Nice, been looking for a cover/casing myself. I'm also glad I got a screen protector even though friends were like "there's no need to," "it just destroys the good screen" or something like that but man, I know myself better than them and if in the case I got scratches on this close to $400 gadget I would go insane.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Nice, been looking for a cover/casing myself. I'm also glad I got a screen protector even though friends were like "there's no need to," "it just destroys the good screen" or something like that but man, I know myself better than them and if in the case I got scratches on this close to $400 gadget I would go insane.

I use the tech armor screen protectors for all my devices including my iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Ah cool! I hope I can find something where I'm from. Also, just to double-check with you, does this happen to you on your iPod and iPhone 5?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1569647/

Yes but it is normal to save battery life. Sometimes it reconnects back randomly and i get notifications from apps that use the internet. It strange. I hope it get fixed in iOS 7.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Yes but it is normal to save battery life. Sometimes it reconnects back randomly and i get notifications from apps that use the internet. It strange. I hope it get fixed in iOS 7.

Kinda defeats the purpose if we want to stay connected at all times, especially when using messaging app like LINE (something like Watsapp).

Seriously, my iPod was on sleep/locked mode and an hour later I checked my iPod, no notifications on the lock screen and upon unlocking whoah! 3 notifications from my LINE app, I then pulled down the notification centre and it stated there as "now" instead of "1 hour ago" but the messages was indeed sent an hour ago as there's a timestamp next to the messages. My friend was pissed... I've already told her to text on my cellphone instead if it's something extremely important.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Kinda defeats the purpose if we want to stay connected at all times, especially when using messaging app like LINE (something like Watsapp).

Seriously, my iPod was on sleep/locked mode and an hour later I checked my iPod, no notifications on the lock screen and upon unlocking whoah! 3 notifications from my LINE app, I then pulled down the notification centre and it stated there as "now" instead of "1 hour ago" but the messages was indeed sent an hour ago as there's a timestamp next to the messages. My friend was pissed... I've already told her to text on my cellphone instead if it's something extremely important.

I know exactly what you mean. You could just leave the screen on but that just ruins the battery.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I know exactly what you mean. You could just leave the screen on but that just ruins the battery.

I could do that but it feels "awkward" (for lack of a better word) or rather alarming? I would have this urge to turn it off, it's like when you see your kitchen sink tap-water is running you would rush to close the tap or something, I'm not sure if that's a good analogy but you get the idea, haha.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
For all 5th Gen iPod Touch owners how long does the battery lasts for you (full charge) on average if you do minimal things on the iPod such as, YouTube, a bit of Facebook, some Videos, Safari and games (non-intensive) with the Wi-Fi on? Mine last 6 hours before I get a 20% warning message. Just curious is all.

It really all depends on what you use.

If I use it mostly for music, and occasionally checking weather and stocks and browse App Store, then my iTouch5 will easily get over 8+ hours before I get the 20% warning. WiFi is always on, BlueTooth is off.

If I'm playing more games (especially online or WiFi enabled games), then about 6-7 hours before the 20% warning comes up.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
It really all depends on what you use.

If I use it mostly for music, and occasionally checking weather and stocks and browse App Store, then my iTouch5 will easily get over 8+ hours before I get the 20% warning. WiFi is always on, BlueTooth is off.

If I'm playing more games (especially online or WiFi enabled games), then about 6-7 hours before the 20% warning comes up.

About the same, I've been doing some tests (nothing extensive) and you're absolutely right. If you're only listening to music (with the iPod locked/in sleep mode) then it could go beyond the 10 hours mark; I once had my iPod play music overnight and I got about 14 hours+. With games that is graphic heavy (think Infinity Blade II, Injustice: Gods Among Us) and requires Wi-Fi then it would last less than 5 hours, if doing a mix or both and nothing too heavy, then around 7-8 hours (or going to 8).

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
My iPod Touch 5G usually gets 8 hours or so. Most of my usage is web browsing, email and reading. No CPU intensive programs or videos, etc. I'm quite happy with the battery life.

One thing that did surprise me, however, is the behavior of the low battery warning. On my iPad2, after the 10% warning I typically have almost an hour of battery life left. Got used to using it long after the 10% and 5% warnings showed up before charging. On the iPad Touch, when the 20% warning comes up there is only a few minutes of life left before it shuts down. Caught me off guard at first but now I charge it as soon after the 20% warning.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
My iPod Touch 5G usually gets 8 hours or so. Most of my usage is web browsing, email and reading. No CPU intensive programs or videos, etc. I'm quite happy with the battery life.

One thing that did surprise me, however, is the behavior of the low battery warning. On my iPad2, after the 10% warning I typically have almost an hour of battery life left. Got used to using it long after the 10% and 5% warnings showed up before charging. On the iPad Touch, when the 20% warning comes up there is only a few minutes of life left before it shuts down. Caught me off guard at first but now I charge it as soon after the 20% warning.

I was told by the employee of the store I bought my iPod touch from that it is wise to charge the iPod once the 20% message pop up. But I usually have an extra hour left after the 20% message pop up though and then it powers off.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I was told by the employee of the store I bought my iPod touch from that it is wise to charge the iPod once the 20% message pop up. But I usually have an extra hour left after the 20% message pop up though and then it powers off.
One of the reasons to charge it when you hit 20% is so you don't forget and have the battery drain too far. If you're out, just plug it in when you get home. I tend to plug it in by 30% if I won't be using it for a while so I don't run into a situation where I need it and the battery needs charging.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
One of the reasons to charge it when you hit 20% is so you don't forget and have the battery drain too far. If you're out, just plug it in when you get home. I tend to plug it in by 30% if I won't be using it for a while so I don't run into a situation where I need it and the battery needs charging.

Yeah, I've been told and I've read it's more about the battery charge cycle thingy that it's not recommended to have it drain out every time, once it gets low just charge it up to full 100%. But I've always read conflicting reports but majority are for "charge when it hits 20%" theory.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
With light usage like browsing and very minimal Games, my iPod can easily last 8 hours if not above 10 with wifi on. When I have the Bluetooth enabled it doesn't effect the battery very much, especially in contrast to the 4th generation! With graphic intensive games on the other hand, I'm normally getting between 3 and 6 hours before 20%, the brightness and Bluetooth are the desiding factors. 3 hours is if i have the brightness above 50%. 5 to 6 hrs if its set to 1/6th the maximum brightness with Bluetooth off.

I have a Blue 64GB iPod Touch that I Pre-ordered when Apple announced them last September. I use it all the time, including now!

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
With light usage like browsing and very minimal Games, my iPod can easily last 8 hours if not above 10 with wifi on. When I have the Bluetooth enabled it doesn't effect the battery very much, especially in contrast to the 4th generation! With graphic intensive games on the other hand, I'm normally getting between 3 and 6 hours before 20%, the brightness and Bluetooth are the desiding factors. 3 hours is if i have the brightness above 50%. 5 to 6 hrs if its set to 1/6th the maximum brightness with Bluetooth off.

I have a Blue 64GB iPod Touch that I Pre-ordered when Apple announced them last September. I use it all the time, including now!

Nice! My brightness is always set to:

---o--------------

It's really low and for my environment it's more than enough "brightness" to see and I'm always in my bedroom and in the dark; YouTube, a bit of games, when I'm out I turn off the Wi-Fi and I get an extra hour or less, it's Brightness, Wi-Fi and your main usage that will decide how long your battery will last/

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Not long enough. A couple nights of iMessage or less than a day of light/medium usage

I tend to charge mine every evening do to how much I use mine. The 3D games are what causes to need a charge! Hopefully Apple will continue to improve the battery, but more so then what they did with the 5th gen. I also find that the camera drains my battery within just a couple hours on average. If the brightness is turned all the way down its possible to get around 4 hours or so maybe. What about you guys?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I tend to charge mine every evening do to how much I use mine. The 3D games are what causes to need a charge! Hopefully Apple will continue to improve the battery, but more so then what they did with the 5th gen. I also find that the camera drains my battery within just a couple hours on average. If the brightness is turned all the way down its possible to get around 4 hours or so maybe. What about you guys?

I got to agree with the 3D games or games that uses UNREAL ENGINE; it drains the battery like crazy. As for camera I'm not so sure I don't usually use the camera much to be honest but I did lower the brightness and noticed a bit of improvement in battery performance, not by a whole lot but significant enough I guess?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.