Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Cooler screens doesn't necessarily mean better. You may prefer cooler, but that doesn't make it right.

And as soon as the 5S hits the streets you will see a ton of threads about displays being different shades of blue and yellow. It's inevitable. Some people like cooler, and some warmer. What would be nice would be a way to calibrate the display yourself. This way everyone would be happy.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Iirc sharp said at CES it would be "quite sometime" before the US market would see IGZO on a mobile device.

Now that was in January and as fast as technology progresses "quite sometime" may mean less the a year. I'm doubtful though.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Iirc sharp said at CES it would be "quite sometime" before the US market would see IGZO on a mobile device.

Now that was in January and as fast as technology progresses "quite sometime" may mean less the a year. I'm doubtful though.

Agreed, I don't think we'll see an IGZO device until next year's iPhone.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Maybe so, but when I compare my warmer retina display to my wife's, my friend's, and all of the ones at the store, it's clear that it isn't how the display should be. There just shouldn't be two separate tones to retina displays.

My original 4S was super warm, and when I got my phone replaced by Apple the new 4S was super cool. I definitely prefer cool. It is true, the screen temperature varies based on manufacturer/factory (I heard LG iPhone screens tend to be warmer), some people do prefer warm.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I know it's wishful thinking that wont happen, but deep down I am hoping this is true.

iphone5sb.jpg

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Agree. I like it.....However, anyone want to bet there will be many complaints/rants about it not being wider/bigger still and starting the "Apple is failing" comments again ?

The next iphone could be 6" and the same people will complain. I remember all the ones complaining about the 5 being too small and saying they were leaving Apple for Samsung. Yet they bought the iPhone 5 and continue posting here. Every year is the same story regardless of what Apple does. Android forums are not much different (TouchWiz sucks, HTC One does not have SD card, etc.). people always complain instead of enjoying their chosen phone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You do know they're not actual photos right?

5s will have the same display as the 5. Maybe Apple will tweak the colour profile to give it a bit more 'pop'

Yes, I know they are renders. My point stands that the pic doesn't really show a proper comparison to see how much better a new screen would be in reality. And yes, I'm expecting the 5S to have the same screen as 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.