Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregzy88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Hi all, I recently did the fusion upgrade on my Mac mini and the results were great. I have noticed that the heat coming off of the casing has got hotter by quite a bit especially when running games. The games seem to lag a bit as well. Anyone know what would cause this as it seems my Mac is overworked and a solution would be great.

Thanks.

spartus4

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Get the iStat Pro widget and you will be able to monitor your temps. My late 2012 mini gets warm on top when I am using handbrake or compiling some code. Make sure there is nothing around the bottom of the mini and that there is nothing on top of it. The mini pulls air in from the bottom for cooling and the aluminum case helps disperse heat.

http://istat-pro.en.softonic.com/mac

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
The heat is coming from the CPU/GPU and heat sink attached to them. The second drive in fusion can create a little heat but it is very minimal. The SSD and HDD in my fusion are always around 30-32C while the CPU hits 100C so it is unlikely the heat you feel is the drives in the Fusion. Lag could be low RAM or the discrete GPU if you are talking about games. You didn't say what Mac mini and RAM you have. Also more RAM increases the RAM available for the GPU.

As noted, iStat Menus gives you all the details you need. It's a great app if you are heat conscious - although it has been known to drive paranoia as well :)

gregzy88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply. It's mac mini mid 2011. Ok I'll get istat and I have already done the 8gb ram upgrade. Didn't have these problems before the new ssd went in. I thought it might have been that the game was on my hdd and I use the ssd as boot so I moved it across but no difference.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
When I had a mini with twin disks (HDD + SSD) yes it did get to work harder. That's more because the file system can shove more data to the CPU/RAM system.

I used to play skyrim on mine and internal temps approaching 90 were common but still within the safety envelope.

As long as the mini is well ventilated (I mean not covered or blocked in too much), it should be fine.

its a nice little toaster when working.

Something like iStat menus will show this, but the system will shut down if temps get too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.