Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicki2314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Texas
I've narrowed down two webhosts for a basic, personal portfolio site with a few images, pdf resume, etc., and I need help deciding.

If I go with A Small Orange I would get the Tiny plan at $25 and if I go with HostGator I will pay $4.95 per month for the Hatchling plan.

I really like the cost of ASO but I'm not sure if it's enough space and bandwidth. I like all the positive ratings for HostGator and it seems like you get a lot more for your money.

As for domains I'm not sold yet on either Namecheap, MyDomain or GoDaddy. I don't like the $7 WhoIs Privacy fee but a lot of people seem to recommend GoDaddy.

Thanks for any advice you may have!!

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
If you're only wanting web hosting, then ASO are highly recommendable. Their email hosting, however, is a lot less satisfactory and was a dealbreaker for me (they're far too fond of aggressive blocklists and were failing to deliver large amounts of legit email).

I've had good experiences with MyDomain, 1&1 and GoDaddy, though.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i had both hostgator and ASO and i gave up on both - neither were bad exactly, but they were not great either. i now use a no-overselling host called medialayer.com - exceptionally fast, much better uptime and issues are resolved in minutes. having said that, its a lot more expensive than ASO or hostgator. but what i have learned in my travels is that a cheaper host that does not work very well is worthless. i rely on my hosting as a part of my business (graphic design) and the extra money spent is well worth it.

and not to hijack the thread, i have always used godaddy but i am starting to wonder if that was a bad idea, there seems to be a lot of negativity around them... can anyone explain exactly why godaddy is not a good choice for domains?

vicki2314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Texas
after reading lots of threads and recommendations i finally decided on going with a small orange and name cheap

i'm excited! thanks!

PHPGuru87

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Hostgator for Hosting & GoDaddy for Domain

Why not just buy domain with Hostgator too? I would recommend going with HostGator for hosting and then (if you must) GoDaddy for buying the Domain.

I actually did a comparison of these two companies found here: Go Daddy vs HostGator - HostGator usually comes out on top.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
A lot of hosts will also give a free domain when you sign up for hosting.

And honestly...a host is a host. You might get a better deal some places, and GoDaddy is a massive pain to deal with as far as hosting, but in general there's not much difference from one to the other.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Why not just buy domain with Hostgator too? I would recommend going with HostGator for hosting and then (if you must) GoDaddy for buying the Domain.

I actually did a comparison of these two companies found here: Go Daddy vs HostGator - HostGator usually comes out on top.

It's usually recommended to buy your domains from a different provider than your hosting. You don't have to, but most people I've talked to recommend it. GoDaddy is garbage though, give NameCheap a try. I transferred my stuff to them from GoDaddy a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

For hosting, you can't beat A Small Orange. I've been with them for a while now and they are awesome.

shelle

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
I'm using HostGator for web-hosting, I totally vote for them.. They are not cheap but services are very good, servers are very fast, CP easy to use... I also use 1and1 webhost and i can say that they are a little worse then HostGator: their CP is confusing and slow sometimes, and they have been hacked several times..

And for the domain registrar, I'm using Namecheap and they are very good..

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've been with ASO for nearly a decade. I can only recall one incident that resulted in downtime; the server I was on experienced a hardware failure. It was resolved within a few hours, and they named the replacement server after one of my favorite characters from The Walking Dead.

Also highly recommend NameCheap for a registrar if you don't want to go through ASO. I can't stress enough that you should avoid GoDaddy at all costs.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I like and have used Hostgator AND Justhost ( to throw a new one in the mix for you ).

I usually just get the free domain name through hostgator or justhost. Never had a problem transferring them to another host.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.