Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Not specifically a mac question, but I find the smartest guys on this board so figured I'd try here first.

My home wireless network supports quite a few devices: two Tivos, an Apple TV2, a PC laptop, an iMac, two iPhones, an iPad, an M-Cell, probably something else I'm forgetting. Traffic isn't super-heavy on all of those all the time, but it's a good number of devices feeding off my cable-provided internet served by my Rosewill IEEE 802.11 N 2.0 router. Also my Mac Pro is hardwired to the network. The laptop uses a powerline network adapter.

All that being said...I'm considering two more things to the mix: wireless subwoofer for my home theatre, and a wifi-programmable thermostat. Is there a point where I can have too many devices on the network, and is there a better router technology I could be employing? My home is pretty small so I don't think repeaters are really necessary, but I am open to any and all suggestions. I haven't installed the thermostat yet and would be willing to give that up if strongly recommended.

My tech skills are probably on the lower end of average for this board, so be gentle.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.