Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Only until that nasty message appears: you must have iOS (whatever the then current version is) to use this app. Now you're screwed. I've been there and its not long before the frustration of being locked out gets horribly maddening. Apples the master of taking huge piles of money.

While Apple may indeed be a master at parting us from our money, I don't see how making us upgrade iOS is an example of that, seeing how iOS upgrades are free.

Back to the topic, I have an iPad 3, but am looking forward to the 5, just because it is supposed to be significantly lighter. I love my 3, but it can get heavy if I carry it with me all day.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'd much rather use either my 11" MBA or 13" MBA, for any work I do.

Yet I also own an iPad mini and iPad 4. In addition I keep a Nexus 7, 7.2 and 10, all for fun and variety. I've tried several of the highest rated iPad keyboards yet don't like any.

If seems one has to be very determined to make an iPad into a laptop replacement.
Especially given the wonderful keyboard, larger display, and overall excellence of either size of MBA.

----------

Only until that nasty message appears: you must have iOS (whatever the then current version is) to use this app. Now you're screwed. I've been there and its not long before the frustration of being locked out gets horribly maddening. Apples the master of taking huge piles of money.

It really depends on what you use your iPad for on whether or not you get that nasty message. If an app I buy stops working with my iPad then they have just lost a customer. That's bad business and I won't support them.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
iPad 3 is not a bad machine. If it works for you then keep it. I use my iPad a lot and I carry it a lot on business. I'm looking for the iP5 to to lighter, to charge more quickly, to be faster (PDF updates sometimes lag) and to have a better digitizer which will help note taking. Plus there will be the usual small niceties that you don't expect. Maybe a better camera, stereo speakers, better wifi, BT.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Um, yeah. I don't pay to upgrade iOS, so it's free.

How do you reckon it's not free?

One has a choice. Step back & look at the big picture, or be shortsighted. The "free" upgrade leads to further purchases not only for apps but many other related expenses.

I do give Apple a lot of credit for creating the "app based smartphone" look at all the money it's made them. I for one, prior to creation of the iPhone, would never have guessed Apple would eventually be making their cut selling "Fart Apps". I thought they were classier than that. :eek:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
One has a choice. Step back & look at the big picture, or be shortsighted. The "free" upgrade leads to further purchases not only for apps but many other related expenses.

I do give Apple a lot of credit for creating the "app based smartphone" look at all the money it's made them. I for one, prior to creation of the iPhone, would never have guessed Apple would eventually be making their cut selling "Fart Apps". I thought they were classier than that. :eek:

Name one app or product I'll have to purchase because of iOS 7.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I understand that some app developers might charge you for the iOS 7 version of their apps. Apart from that, I can't thnk of any "related expenses" from upgrading iOS. Could you tell me what they are?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Name one app or product I'll have to purchase because of iOS 7.

I think he meant that upgrading iOS on older devices introduces a slight performance lag as the newer OS's are more demanding on the older hardware. This may overtly/ subliminally tip people to upgrade. iPhone 4, on iOS 4 and 5 was perfectly responsive, has a noticeable lag on iOS 6 - and is slow on iOS 7.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I think he meant that upgrading iOS on older devices introduces a slight performance lag as the newer OS's are more demanding on the older hardware. This may overtly/ subliminally tip people to upgrade. iPhone 4, on iOS 4 and 5 was perfectly responsive, has a noticeable lag on iOS 6 - and is slow on iOS 7.

Certainly not what he said. Not upgrading is an option; however I'm hearing it's running fair well on the 4 right now.

Chad McCan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Do you want any of these features with iOS7? Because they aren't available on the 3rd gen iPad. Airdrop makes me want to upgrade.

Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
If seems one has to be very determined to make an iPad into a laptop replacement.
Especially given the wonderful keyboard, larger display, and overall excellence of either size of MBA.

The only keyboard I really like to use with the iPad is the Apple bluetooth keyboard in my office paired with a stand. It is a great setup at work for me for productivity apps but I just take my 11" Air when working anywhere else.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I'll upgrade my iPad 4 with cellular to the iPad 5 with cellular, mostly for fun but also because of the new form factor. Why not upgrade?

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Is it worth upgrading from the Third gen to the 5? seening as of right now the changes i think are largly cosmetic? And i do so as of right now but imo what can they change that isnt already perfect going since the retina ipad other thrn the brezel maybe.... Love to hear you guys opinions

Depends, Im still rocking my launch iPad 2 and see no reason to upgrade, however ghosting is becoming more and more noticeable, still a great tablet for what I use it, some games and mainly reading.

I wish I had gotten a bigger one though, 16 gb is not enough. Im gonna keep my 2 and purchase a mini 2.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I have an iPad3 and I'll [most likely] be replacing it with an iPad Mini 2, assuming it has a retina display.

I have a 13" rMBP as my portable work machine so my iPad is mainly used at home for web/reading/games and I think the Mini is the best form factor for that.

Depending on what hardware is available in both new models though I could still sway toward the iPad5. I can't imagine the iPad5 being that much lighter than the current model, since most of the weight is the battery. Even in a smaller case, it will still take just as much battery to drive the 9.7" display, unless they're using a more efficient display in the next gen.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Unless you think the performance of the 3 is slow there is no reason to upgrade. I have the 3 and everything is still snappy and there are no current apps it cannot handle well. Personally I only upgrade if I feel my current device cant keep up with the newest apps or essential os features.

I couldn't explain it better.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
iPad 3 is not a bad machine. If it works for you then keep it. I use my iPad a lot and I carry it a lot on business. I'm looking for the iP5 to to lighter, to charge more quickly, to be faster (PDF updates sometimes lag) and to have a better digitizer which will help note taking. Plus there will be the usual small niceties that you don't expect. Maybe a better camera, stereo speakers, better wifi, BT.

Exactly. You hit every point I was going to make. I have a 3 and will get the 5 as soon as I can.

michaeltsikov

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
If the new ipad will be more beneficial to you then buy. but if the its uses is just like in ipad 3 then better to wait for another ipad :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.