Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released small updates to iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand, addressing compatibility issues within iPhoto and iMovie and minor performance issues in GarageBand.

While it is unclear what the compatibility update fixes, it is likely related to Apple's upcoming iOS 7 operating system, which has been available for developers since June 10.

iphoto_imovie_garageband.jpg
iOS 7 introduces a number of design changes along with features like a revamped Notification Center and a new Control Panel. Apple's apps will likely get larger iOS 7 updates after the OS is released later this month.

While Apple is expected to feature iOS 7 during its September 10 iPhone event, the operating system will likely be provided to the public shortly before Apple's new iPhones are released on September 20.

All three of the apps can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99.

iPhoto [Direct Link]
iMovie [Direct Link]
GarageBand [Direct Link]

Article Link: iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand Receive Small Updates Ahead of iOS 7

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I just checked the App Store to see if there was any updates needed and these three along with Shazam app showed up. I did update!

dmorgan

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
I was hoping for an updated iOS 7 style icon. It couldn't have gotten worse.

That is what is wrong with the new icon redesign in iOS7. Everything now is so inconsistent.

Unless they will be updated further down the road...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While it is unclear what the compatibility update fixes, it is likely related to Apple's upcoming iOS 7 operating system, which has been available for developers since June 10.

Considering the UI isn't at all updated for iOS 7, I find that suggestion highly improbable.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It'll be interesting to see what Garageband looks like once Ive and his Fisher Price team get a hold of some of those graphics.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Time was, a man could expect a full update to the iLife apps every year to year and a half.

Does this minor update mean we're likely going to be stuck with the current releases on iOS and Mac for the foreseeable future?

iLife '11 on the Mac has, despite the name, been stalled since October 2010.

iMovie, GarageBand, and iPhoto for iOS haven't ever received a major new release. They've been around since mid 2010, early 2011, and early 2012 respectively and only have received point updates...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Time was, a man could expect a full update to the iLife apps every year to year and a half.

Does this minor update mean we're likely going to be stuck with the current releases on iOS and Mac for the foreseeable future?

iLife '11 on the Mac has, despite the name, been stalled since October 2010.

iMovie, GarageBand, and iPhoto for iOS haven't ever received a major new release. They've been around since mid 2010, early 2011, and early 2012 respectively and only have received point updates...

I'm content with the apps as they are. If you're looking for more features, then you should probably look into their $200 pro apps.

Personally, I want to see an iWork update. I want to see them finally add in the few features that I need Word and Excel for so that I can finally kick Office out of my life forever.

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
What ever happened with the rumor that the iLife apps would become free with the release of iOS 7? I'm still looking forward to that possibility...

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
I really, really hope they keep the skeuomorphism in the iLife for iOS apps! It's part of their charm and adds to their functionality!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.