Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
So, I think I found the perfect solution to my computer needs. I've been looking for something that's portable but also gives me the power to edit the occasional go pro videos. My initial thought was to go with the BTO 13 Air with everything maxed out which would be around 1880. The only problem is does it have the chops to edit video well?? So then I started thinking about the refurbished 15 retina pro for 1599 but it only comes with 256ssd. Even though I love the dedicated graphics card I wouldn't be able transfer over my data on my external hard drive. Since time machine won't let you pick out individual videos/photos. So after days of pondering I realized I could get a refurbished i7 mini for 679 and a new 13 air for 1049 plus the 100 gift card which would bring the total to 1862. Which is the same price as the BTO air. What do you guys think?? I like the idea of having a home system and the portability of a laptop since I always bring a laptop to work. What do you guys think?

----------

By the way I already have a 23 inch ips display so need need for a monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I did that. But it's really a hassle to use 2 computers. So i sold them all and bought a retina mbp. Couldnt be happier.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
So, I think I found the perfect solution to my computer needs. I've been looking for something that's portable but also gives me the power to edit the occasional go pro videos. My initial thought was to go with the BTO 13 Air with everything maxed out which would be around 1880. The only problem is does it have the chops to edit video well?? So then I started thinking about the refurbished 15 retina pro for 1599 but it only comes with 256ssd. Even though I love the dedicated graphics card I wouldn't be able transfer over my data on my external hard drive. Since time machine won't let you pick out individual videos/photos. So after days of pondering I realized I could get a refurbished i7 mini for 679 and a new 13 air for 1049 plus the 100 gift card which would bring the total to 1862. Which is the same price as the BTO air. What do you guys think?? I like the idea of having a home system and the portability of a laptop since I always bring a laptop to work. What do you guys think?

----------

By the way I already have a 23 inch ips display so need need for a monitor.

I love having two computers. I don't do any editing so i'm not sure about that front (I'm a College student doing homework and studying)... I use a macbook pro retina 13 and a mac mini... I sync everything with dropbox and I have a NAS unit for backup.

It is very convenient since I previously was using just my laptop + docking it all the time.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
I love having two computers. I don't do any editing so i'm not sure about that front (I'm a College student doing homework and studying)... I use a macbook pro retina 13 and a mac mini... I sync everything with dropbox and I have a NAS unit for backup.

It is very convenient since I previously was using just my laptop + docking it all the time.

Thats exactly my thinking. Do you pay for more storage from Dropbox?? I need to look into nas and possible programs to remote access the mini.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Thats exactly my thinking. Do you pay for more storage from Dropbox?? I need to look into nas and possible programs to remote access the mini.

I haven't hit my limit for my storage with Dropbox yet. I use an older ReadyNAS Ultra 2 unit, the newer ReadyNAS have built in cloud support, etc and they seem really cool. I know nearly everyone on these forums swear by their Synology but I have no experience or knowledge of their products. I have had no issues with my ReadyNAS.

I like having to not pull out my laptop at home and when I open it up it automatically syncs.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Even though I love the dedicated graphics card I wouldn't be able transfer over my data on my external hard drive. Since time machine won't let you pick out individual videos/photos.

Are you should about that?

I am able to go into my TM backups and pull out individual files, including Go Pro videos. I was even able to copy a Garage Band artist lesson from a 2009 TM backup and copy it to my new rMBP.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
Are you should about that?

I am able to go into my TM backups and pull out individual files, including Go Pro videos. I was even able to copy a Garage Band artist lesson from a 2009 TM backup and copy it to my new rMBP.

Really??? I store everything in iphoto and apple has a weird save file format so it saves it all as one chunk.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Really??? I store everything in iphoto and apple has a weird save file format so it saves it all as one chunk.

It's saved as an iPhoto "file" per say but all it is is a folder with a bunch of sub-folders and files. You can right click and "explore" or whatnot and find the files.. or there's an option to "show in finder" within iPhoto

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I like your idea so much that I'm going to return my new cMBP 15 and do the same thing. The idea of splitting my functions by using two small computers instead of one that does everything just didn't occur to me.

One thing you should take into account. After doing some research on MR, I found out the 256 SSD is significantly faster than the 128 SSD on a MBA. Looks like it's worth the increased cost. Here's the MR thread with the details:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1596221/

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I use a mini and a MBA as well. Between syncing, dropbox and a Synology Diskstation, you shouldn't have to worry about leaving anything on the wrong computer.

You also won't have an excuse to not back up your computers as well. I would also suggest something like Chronosync to cover everybase.

I think cognitively, one computer is easier. But in terms of having the muscle *and* portability, a mini & MBA combo are tough to beat.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
Yeah, I have to agree. I just got my mini set up after a few days of trying to figure out how to get a clear picture on my 23 led monitor. Simply put Apple has issues with hdmi and text. Switched to dvi and finally have a crystal clear picture. I need to try out some of those programs so everything syncs.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
to OP I can also pull specific video etc. from TM back ups

Re: time machine:

I've always been able to open up a specific TM back up on my external hd and copy whatever videos, documents folders I want back onto my iMac.

If I had the need for 2 machines, I'd definitely do what others have in this thread, get a mini and an Apple laptop (would probably be a 13" rMBP for my vision).

Good luck with your new set up. Sounds great.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Apple has issues with hdmi and text...

Since I need a Mini for several intensive writing projects, does anyone have a recommendation for a low to mid-cost display (and hookup path) that works well with a Mini i7? I can't afford a TBD.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
Since I need a Mini for several intensive writing projects, does anyone have a recommendation for a low to mid-cost display (and hookup path) that works well with a Mini i7? I can't afford a TBD.

I got myself a sweet hp 23 ips display at best buy that was on sale for 159. Go to hp website or even dell and I'm sure you can find something for a decent price. The mini will come with a hdmi to dvi cable which is what you should use. Just go to monoprice. Com and get a dvi to dvi cable. For whatever reason apple computers have a hard time displaying clear text with just a hdmi cable. The mini and air both look like crap with a hdmi cable.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I got myself a sweet hp 23 ips display at best buy that was on sale for 159. Go to hp website or even dell and I'm sure you can find something for a decent price. The mini will come with a hdmi to dvi cable which is what you should use. Just go to monoprice. Com and get a dvi to dvi cable. For whatever reason apple computers have a hard time displaying clear text with just a hdmi cable. The mini and air both look like crap with a hdmi cable.

Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.