Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi Forum,

I saw an interesting post on reddit just now saying this: What if the iPhone 5C is only sold off contract, and replaces the iPod Touch?

People could chose if they want a sim in there for cellular data or not. Makes sense to me, since there seems to be less and less space for the iPod Touch.

What does the Macrumors Forum think?

(Link to the original post on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1lm61l/what_if_the_iphone_5c_is_sold_with_no_contract/ )

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi Forum,

I saw an interesting post on reddit just now saying this: What if the iPhone 5C is only sold off contract, and replaces the iPod Touch?
I don't think so. Why pay more for a 5C than an iPod Touch? Also, there's the issue Plutonius mentions. Based on the estimated prices, a 16GB 5C will cost more than a 64GB iPod touch currently costs.

Also, if you could edit your post (advanced editing) and change the subject in to something that resembles a speculative question - maybe "What if the iPhone 5C replaces the iPod touch?"

I believe the 5C will only come as 16GB.
This. This will be one of the differentiators from the 5S.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hi Forum,

People could chose if they want a sim in there for cellular data or not. Makes sense to me, since there seems to be less and less space for the iPod Touch.

(Link to the original post on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1lm61l/what_if_the_iphone_5c_is_sold_with_no_contract/ )

I believe it will be sold both on and off contract, with the on contract version priced anywhere on the 0 to 100 usd ballpark and being 350 off contract. But I dont see it replacing the Touch anytime soon.

But what if they get matching specs from now on? like the 5C and 6th gen touch have the exact same internals?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
The title is misleading. I highly doubt the iPod touch will be discontinued or replaced, while it may be true that the touch is basically an iPhone just without the call and some exclusive iPhone features, it is still a great alternative for people who wants a multi-media player, it can play games, music, videos and it's an ideal choice if you don't want a phone and a contract but just want an iDevice!

Kids, teenagers can get an iPod touch if they can't afford an iPhone I think the iPod touch will last a long time.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hi Forum,

Makes absolutely no sense. The cheapest iPod touch is $229 and the cheapest iPhone is $450. Big gap in pricing.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
It's definitely time to force iPod customers to upgrade to an iPhone.

I actully did the complete opposite. When my iPhone 4 started to suck a$$ (ok, it's jailbroken. OK, I smashed the screen. Don't judge me :) ) I bought an iPod touch 5th gen and a crappy £20 old phone. And you know what? It's great. The only thing I really *need* the data connection for on a phone is the maps, and tbh I've found that it hasn't totally ruined my world not having that function. I talk to more random people for directions now, which is always fun.

Anyway, I doubt the 5C will replace the iPod touch. Price difference is big, and I think Apple considers the Touch to be a gateway drug. I mean device. Gateway device :)

Alex

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think Ipod touch will have to lower it price if want to stay alive and I dont think Iphone 5C will come with only 16GB.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I think Ipod touch will have to lower it price if want to stay alive and I dont think Iphone 5C will come with only 16GB.

It wouldn't hurt to lower the price a bit if it means even more sale for the iPod touch, but if we want great specs then we gotta shell out a bit more, personally I don't mind shelling out a bit more for an iPod touch if it has the same specs as an iPhone 5 but that's me.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
It wouldn't hurt to lower the price a bit if it means even more sale for the iPod touch, but if we want great specs then we gotta shell out a bit more, personally I don't mind shelling out a bit more for an iPod touch if it has the same specs as an iPhone 5 but that's me.

Of course, people should be willing to pay more for great specs but who knows the actual profit margin apple is making from these Ipod touch.

A 229 device with 16GB and no rear camera breaks my heart, they are so stingy.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Hi Forum,

I think that it might be a partial downgrade from the iPod touch because it will add thickness and weight, but if this did happen, there would be an option to not have any type of cellular data methods (no sim slot at all) so the price can be low.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Hi Forum,

Remember when the iPod touch 4G was advertise with iTunes Match? In the UK it had a 3G symbol on the top. I got a good feeling that iPod touch will be discontinued IF the iPhone 5 C is remarkably cheaper than the current prices! £400 is too much just for a mp4 player that some people want! You'll be better off with the iPad mini. Anyway their is not much difference between iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C proposed prices. I think the iphone 5C will be £250+ to convice even more buyers!
iPhone 5C is made out of plastic, older A chips, old camera technology and so on. It means sure apple can take a cut and make its money off the App Store?
But for the price of current iPhone 5C predictions, most parents will not buy the iPhone 5C for their children! Most parents will buy the iPod touch (which is already steep for them) and perhaps a cheap phone like a Nokia lumia 680 (which is £150) or a HTC Desire C (which is £130). And those tend to be given separately.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
There is no way on earth that apple will replace the best music and game player of all time with a product from a different category. iPod Touch 6 will be announced alongside the two iPhones.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Of course, people should be willing to pay more for great specs but who knows the actual profit margin apple is making from these Ipod touch.

A 229 device with 16GB and no rear camera breaks my heart, they are so stingy.

16GB iPod touch 5th Gen with no rear camera is a joke, lol! But I think it's still a decent iPod if you purely just want music on it but knowing people of today's generation many would have over 16 GB worth of music so I guess it's targeted more for the younger generation who wanna play around with games, apps.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the iPad Mini takes over the iPod touch, I'm impressed with the mini but I love the iPod touch cause it's small and fits anywhere in my pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.