Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A leaked inventory screenshot from Canadian mobile carrier Telus has revealed that the company will discontinue the 32 GB and 64 GB models of the iPhone 5 on September 28, eight days after the next-generation iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone 5C are expected to launch in the first wave of markets, reports MobileSyrup (via iPhone in Canada). The inventory screenshot makes no mention of either the 16 GB black iPhone 5 or white models of any capacity, making it unclear if Telus thinks that a 16 GB iPhone 5 will continue to be sold alongside the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S.

telus_iphone5.png
Discussion of whether Telus' plans point to continued sales of a low-end iPhone 5 comes following two prior indications that Apple would cease iPhone 5 production entirely in favor of a refreshed iPhone line. In late July, a report surfaced that Apple would be discontinuing production of the iPhone 5 in the fall, and would put all of its efforts towards the iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone 5C. That claim was followed by a forecast from KGI Securities last month predicting that the iPhone 5C will replace the iPhone 5, with sales of the iPhone 4S to continue.

Apple's iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S are both expected to be revealed at a media event on September 10, with the two new devices expected to be released in the first wave of markets on September 20.

Article Link: Canadian Carrier Telus to Discontinue 32 GB and 64 GB iPhone 5 Models on September 28

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Personally I think (hope) Apple goes the "completely refresh" route on the iPhone line.

The practice of selling last year (and even 2-yr old) tech at reduced prices isn't doing it for consumers. Regardless of what actually goes into the phones (most consumers prove they haven't the slightest clue), being able to say you update the line ANNUALLY would be a great marketing tool and boost for Apple.

iPhone #C
iPhone #/#S
iPhone #L

Each updated annually.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Personally I think (hope) Apple goes the "completely refresh" route on the iPhone line.

The practice of selling last year (and even 2-yr old) tech at reduced prices isn't doing it for consumers. Regardless of what actually goes into the phones (most consumers prove they haven't the slightest clue), being able to say you update the line ANNUALLY would be a great marketing tool and boost for Apple.

iPhone #C
iPhone #/#S
iPhone #L

Each updated annually.

What kind of boost would Apple get if the "update" is something weak like a new color?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
So it sounds the iPhone 5C will replace the 4S, the 5 will remain at 16GB only, and the 5S will be the new flagship phone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What kind of boost would Apple get if the "update" is something weak like a new color?

It's actually never "weak like a new color" - ignorant consumers only think that because they don't actually do any research.

The iPhone 4S to 5 was much more than just a spec bump and small screen-size increase. They created new display layering tech that made the display brighter and clearer despite the same resolution.

But all anyone sees is the spec sheet that says the resolution is the same and they cry "Apple doesn't update at all! Just a longer ugly screen" (which itself is an idiotic claim).

Anyways. Take it somewhere else.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Gives us something to think about.

At first glance I read discount. Then found out I was sadly mistaken. Should have realized it was a CND carrier that was mentioned.

darcspyd3r

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2013
So...

iPhone 5C 16gb
iPhone 5 16gb
iPhone 5S 32gb, 64gb, 128gb

Makes sense.

I am of the firm belief that Apple will be making the iPhone 5C one memory size for all of the colors. I really don't see a company that controls their products so tightly manufacturing yet another phone with three different memory sizes.

Here's what I think they'll do and what makes logical sense to me:

iPhone 5:
-Reduced to 16gb Size Only
-Drops to $99 on Contract, $549 Off Contract
iPhone 5c:
-8gb or 16gb (NOT BOTH)
-$0 on Contract, $449 Off Contract
iPhone 5s:
-32gb
-64gb
-128gb
-All at the usual prices ($199, $299, $399 on contract, a bazillion dollars off-contract)

This also ensures all iPhones being sold have the larger screen and lightning connectors.

Done. Perhaps I should go be an analyst now. I hear you just have to make stuff up and write for a blog :rolleyes:.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why hasn't the minimum size been bumped to 32GB yet? Flash memory is dirt cheap and 16GB isn't really enough to use the device to the fullest anymore.

There's no reason for Apple to be stingy on this anymore!

It should be:

iPhone 5 32GB
iPhone 5c 32GB
iPhone 5s 32GB, 64GB, 128GB

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So it sounds the iPhone 5C will replace the 4S, the 5 will remain at 16GB only, and the 5S will be the new flagship phone.

Sounds like a good prediction. Most people think the 5S will come in 32/64/128 GB. I'm still not sure why anyone would get a 16GB 5 instead of a 5C.

----------

Why hasn't the minimum size been bumped to 32GB yet? Flash memory is dirt cheap and 16GB isn't really enough to use the device to the fullest anymore.

It should be:

iPhone 5 32GB
iPhone 5c 32GB

I believe that the 5C will be 16GB only since they want the lowest possible cost.

The 5S should be 32/64/128 GB.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

It should be:

iPhone 5 32GB
iPhone 5c 32GB

Because of iCloud. Encouraging users to store more and more data in the cloud means they're more likely to fully integrate into the iOS system and stick with Apple, why would they increase device memory size?

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I think the 5 will stay in a 16 GB only form above the 5c. The 5c will probably be 8 and 16GB with the 5S 32/64/128. The 4s I think will say bye bye but I also expect the 5c to be cheaper.

So
5S 32/64/128 £529/£599/£699
5 16 £449
5c 8/16 £299 / £349

Question is what then happens next year. Do they drop both the 5c and 5?

Last edited:

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
So...

iPhone 5C 16gb
iPhone 5 16gb
iPhone 5S 32gb, 64gb, 128gb

Makes sense.
of course it makes sense. Like I said before on another post. Who would want to trade their iphone 5 for the plastic?
The order of product quality and value should be as follows:
1. iPhone 5S
2. iPhone 5
3. iPhone 5c

Older models discontinued.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Because of iCloud. Encouraging users to store more and more data in the cloud means they're more likely to fully integrate into the iOS system and stick with Apple, why would they increase device memory size?

Good network connectivity isn't ubiquitous enough for the cloud to replace local storage. Especially with tiny data caps on cellular data.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I'm talking about the company's position, though, not the consumer. I wasn't saying that I agree or disagree, just explaining why the company wouldn't necessarily be eager to increase the memory.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK

Apps are getting bigger (some games are getting too big), 16gb just won't cut it any more.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The practice of selling last year (and even 2-yr old) tech at reduced prices isn't doing it for consumers.

the data doesnt appear to support your conclusion. apple has insane iphone sales and they dont break it down by model...but flickr has the top three cameras on their site:

Apple iPhone 5
Apple iPhone 4S
Apple iPhone 4

...a lot of people buy the cheaper last-years phone. people who are budget conscious dont care about specs the way you do.

----------

I am of the firm belief that Apple will be making the iPhone 5C one memory size for all of the colors. I really don't see a company that controls their products so tightly manufacturing yet another phone with three different memory sizes.

Here's what I think they'll do and what makes logical sense to me:

iPhone 5:
-Reduced to 16gb Size Only
-Drops to $99 on Contract, $549 Off Contract
iPhone 5c:
-8gb or 16gb (NOT BOTH)
-$0 on Contract, $449 Off Contract
iPhone 5s:
-32gb
-64gb
-128gb
-All at the usual prices ($199, $299, $399 on contract, a bazillion dollars off-contract)

this. it makes sense...i dont believe apple will launch a new design every year, i think theyll keep the tick-tock for the flagship phone, rotating last-year's model to the $99 spot as they are now. dunno what theyll do w/ the C annually. minor refreshes? sell out of the old inventory and only produce the new?

----------

It should be:

iPhone 5 32GB
iPhone 5c 32GB

dont hold your breath. the entire point of the C is to be low-cost. in order to keep their margins theyll go low on the storage. thats its point.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
the data doesnt appear to support your conclusion. apple has insane iphone sales and they dont break it down by model...but flickr has the top three cameras on their site:

Apple iPhone 5
Apple iPhone 4S
Apple iPhone 4

...a lot of people buy the cheaper last-years phone. people who are budget conscious dont care about specs the way you do.

You miss my point.

People who are budget conscious would be MORE likely to buy with my scenario.

Look at it like this:

Apple release the 5S and discounts the 4S, a phone that's been around for 2 years and has different ports and display size, to free on contract.

-or-

Apple releases the 5S and 5C, a brand NEW phone (with last year's internals) for free on contract and it doesn't necessarily cost them any more to produce than the 4S or 5.....

Apple benefits from being able to market the 5C as NEW, when the reality is its still got last year's internals. And as you said, budget conscious people don't care about specs. But you can bet they'll feel they're getting a better deal being able to buy a NEW phone for free on contract (or $450 off) versus a 2-year old phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.