Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's introduction of Parallels Desktop 9, VMware has announced the launch its new VMware Fusion 6 virtualization software, adding support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1, as well as a number of other new features.
- Designed for Mac OS X Mavericks - Extend the unique features of Mavericks to a Windows environment, such as taking full advantage of every display connected to a Mac with multiple display support and enhanced dictation support in Windows applications.

- Ready for Windows 8.1 - Get the most out of Windows 8.1 by running Windows Store applications side-by-side with Mac applications. With VMware Fusion 6, users can access Windows Store applications in Launchpad or the Applications folder and put them in the Dock in Unity mode.

- Optimized for the Latest Macs - VMware Fusion 6 is optimized for the latest Macs taking advantage of Intel's latest Haswell processors for even better battery life and even faster performance when running Windows applications.

- Create the Most Powerful Virtual Machines - Create virtual machines with support for up to 16 vCPUs, 8 TB virtual disks, and up to 64 GB of memory to run the most demanding Windows applications on a Mac.

- Enhanced User Interface - From its streamlined user experience and improved PC migration assistant, to easier installation of Windows and more granular selection of computer resources, everything has been enhanced to give users an even better way to run Windows on a Mac.
vmware_fusion_6_windows_8_1.jpg
A more advanced VMware Fusion 6 Professional version is also available, adding greater flexibility for restricting and expiring virtual machines, linked clones for easily creating multiple copies of virtual machines, and more.

Available through the VMware Store, VMware Fusion 6 is priced at $59.99 while VMware Fusion 6 Professional is priced at $129.99. Users upgrading from version 4 or 5 can receive discounted pricing of $49.99/$69.99, while any customers who purchased VMware Fusion 5 on or after August 1 can receive a free upgrade to version 6.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 6 Brings Updated Virtualization Support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Crashes upon startup

I installed it, it replaced VMWare Fusion 5. It crashes each time it attempts to launch. I restarted. will reinstall now. I don't have a list of things to try, to fix it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If anybody wants to get a taste of virtualization without paying for software, I'd highly recommend Oracle's VirtualBox.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I'll wait until mavericks is released and become stable before I upgrade fusion. Don't see the point on been an early adopter on this one.

fahlman

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
I installed it, it replaced VMWare Fusion 5. It crashes each time it attempts to launch. I restarted. will reinstall now. I don't have a list of things to try, to fix it.

Log in as a different user, create a temporary test account if necessary, to see if it's system-wide or not. If it works in the test account then you know the problem is inside the original user's home folder. Start by removing any Fusion-related preference files found in /Users/username/Library/Preferences to the Desktop. Do the same with any Fusion-related files isn /Users/username/Library/Application Support. Open Fusion again after removing these files.

If you have problems in the test account too follow the same steps as above in the /Library folder.

It's important to remember not to delete the files. Also remember the original location of the files when you remove them so they can be moved back if necessary. I usually recreate the folder structure inside a folder on my Desktop.

Post back your results or additional questions.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I will give Parallels 1 week after the release of Mavrix to fix the USB port dilemma in version 8. Don't want to pay $50 for an upgrade. Don't want to go to VMware. :(

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
The cost of the upgrade on a yearly basis is ridiculous. I understand they need to be paid for their work, but $50 a pop is to much. Bootcamp & Virtualbox are not real options, but I may soon have to consider looking them over again.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The cost of the upgrade on a yearly basis is ridiculous. I understand they need to be paid for their work, but $50 a pop is to much. Bootcamp & Virtualbox are not real options, but I may soon have to consider looking them over again.

Why isn't virtualbox a real option? I've never used it, just curious.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

why do you have to upgrade every year? just use the software until you have to upgrade

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Okay, created a fresh Log in account. same issue. the window is different because it is attempting to set up a new PC or select existing but it crashes right away.

I cleared out the VMWare files within the global /Library directory. (recreating the files in a folder on the desktop.)

Same result, hard crash upon launch.

Log in as a different user, create a temporary test account if necessary, to see if it's system-wide or not. If it works in the test account then you know the problem is inside the original user's home folder. Start by removing any Fusion-related preference files found in /Users/username/Library/Preferences to the Desktop. Do the same with any Fusion-related files isn /Users/username/Library/Application Support. Open Fusion again after removing these files.

If you have problems in the test account too follow the same steps as above in the /Library folder.

It's important to remember not to delete the files. Also remember the original location of the files when you remove them so they can be moved back if necessary. I usually recreate the folder structure inside a folder on my Desktop.

Post back your results or additional questions.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Has anyone noticed any real improvement over Fusion 5?
Performance, etc.. ?

I'm on a MBP (Retina) 16GB Ram, 512MBSSD. (Late 2012/Early 2013 model)
I also have a MacBook Air (Late 2012 Model)

If performance is better then 50.00 might be worth it. Otherwise I see no real reason to upgrade.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Thanks for posting your experiences with the 6.0.0 upgrade. I'm on 5.0.3 now but will wait for 6.0.1 to do the upgrade.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
damn, these yearly required upgrades are so tiresome. I think I have paid them nearly a grand over the years.

:(

Actually you don't really need to be upgrading, I've tried the earlier version of VMWare Fusion and It runs Windows perfectly fine on Mavericks..

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
why do you have to upgrade every year? just use the software until you have to upgrade

because vmware is really bad about not adding support for new OS releases into their older versions

like ANY version below 4.1.3 refused to launch in 10.8
imagine buying 3.x in June and if they had done the month before thing when releasing 4.x (Sep 2011), suddenly in April 2012 you were looking at buying new in less than a year if you wanted an OS upgrade

unknown if this becomes the case for 10.9 also, their host/client support resources aren't current

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.