Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexanderM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I have Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) which came with Mountain Lion preinstalled. It didn't have install DVDs. How do I run AHD? Restarting with D, or command+D, or option+D didn't work. It would just restart the OS. And Mac Pro didn't support Internet AHD either.

:apple: MP 5.1 Quad 3.2 | 16Gb | ATI 5770

Last edited:

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I have Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) which came with Mountain Lion preinstalled. It didn't have install DVDs. How do I run AHD? Restarting with D, or command+D, or option+D didn't work. It would just restart the OS. And Mac Pro didn't support Internet AHD either.
I'm afraid you are caught in a difficult situation. Before Lion, AHT was part of the OS X installation and came with the Application Install DVD as explained in this article. Apple did away with DVD media and AHT installation when Lion came along, and 2011 and later Mac models mostly have Internet recovery function to download OS X or AHT except 2012 Mac Pro since it is essentially a 2010 model without the DVD media.

If you really need to run AHT, you may have to contact Apple Support to figure out how to get it unless you have access to a copy of 2010 Mac Pro Application Install DVD. On the other hand, I've never heard any 2012 MP owners looking for AHT before. I used AHT when I first got my MP, but it was pretty useless and never bothered since. The more useful tool is ASD (Apple Service Diagnostic) as mentioned here, but is distributed for service providers.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

:apple: MP 5.1 Quad 3.2 | 16Gb | ATI 5770

Mine was purchased in 2013 with ML pre-installed. I can reboot while holding down the "D" key and it takes me to the AHT.

I do have to hold down the key for a very long time but it works. Just be sure to press it as soon as the machine starts rebooting. I hold mine there well after the chime and it works every time.

AlexanderM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Mine was purchased in 2013 with ML pre-installed. I can reboot while holding down the "D" key and it takes me to the AHT.

Same was mine. I put SSD in it and made clean install of ML. Then I wiped the original HDD and I use it as a storage drive. Can it be that new copy of ML came without AHT? Anyway holding down "D" key doesn't work.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Same was mine. I put SSD in it and made clean install of ML. Then I wiped the original HDD and I use it as a storage drive. Can it be that new copy of ML came without AHT? Anyway holding down "D" key doesn't work.

You need a recovery partition to access AHT. If you're not running raid you should be able to fix this. There are threads in the OSX section that explain how to create a recovery partition. Also, without one, you can't use the "Find my Mac feature".

I've don'e myself ONCE, on a regular HD. Post your question in the OSX section and I'm sure you'll get the information. Otherwise, search for it in the OSX section, it's not hard to find.

BTW, you can download the OSX installer and put it on a USB stick. Then you'll have the installation media you wanted. A clean install to a blank drive will also make a restore partition for you (provided it's not raid, and provided your drive isn't controlled by a problematic 3rd party SATA controller).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1595829/ Maybe you can find something here that will help.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think I have a recovery partition. If I reboot holding command+R it brings a menu with "Re-install OSX", "Disk Utility" and so on. Isn't it the recovery partition?

I'm not sure, never had this type of issue myself. It just seems you were't getting a lot of activity, so I'm learning too as I try to help. I think you should post the question to one of the threads like the one I linked to. They are far more knowledgeable than I.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I think I have a recovery partition. If I reboot holding command+R it brings a menu with "Re-install OSX", "Disk Utility" and so on. Isn't it the recovery partition?
I may be mistaken but you need the factory-supplied Recovery HD partition to mount the AHT partition, not from the downloaded ML, as explained here. Since you've wiped out the original partition, it was gone forever. Other Mac owners could still use Internet Recovery to access AHT, but not MP's. Your best bet is still to contact Apple Support to find out your options.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I may be mistaken but you need the factory-supplied Recovery HD partition to mount the AHT partition, not from the downloaded ML, as explained here. Since you've wiped out the original partition, it was gone forever. Other Mac owners could still use Internet Recovery to access AHT, but not MP's. Your best bet is still to contact Apple Support to find out your options.

Wow, that's good to know. It seems ludicrous that there isn't some method of putting it back, but that does seem to be the case. At least it can still be utilized over the Internet.

AlexanderM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Give up on AHT

I came across the ASD for Mac Pro 5.1. It works perfect from usb thumb drive and has EFI or OS interface. Really liked it, so I gave up on AHT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.