Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is developing a 17-watt power adapter for an unknown product, reports AppleInsider. At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.
People familiar with the matter say Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line, such as the anticipated fifth-generation iPad. That device is instead expected to ship with the same 12-watt adapter.
Though a 17-watt adapter could presumably be used for any number of Apple products including the existing iPad, its minor increase in wattage could hint at a larger iPad. With a 5-watt adapter for the iPhone and a 12-watt adapter for the 9.7-inch iPad, 17 watts is at the right size to power a potential 13-inch iPad.

12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpg
Concept rendering of the 13-inch iPad
News of a larger "iPad Maxi" first surfaced in May, and was followed up by a report from The Wall Street Journal suggesting Apple and its suppliers were testing larger screens for both the iPad and the iPhone. The larger iPad reportedly measures slightly less than 13 inches diagonally.

The iPads in question were prototypes, however, and Apple produces and tests a wide range of products that never make it to market. It is unclear if the company will release a larger iPad to the public, but such an iPad would be similar in size to a MacBook Air.

There is no indication that Apple has plans to release a 13-inch iPad in the near future, but the company is gearing up to launch both a Retina iPad mini and a fifth-generation iPad with slimmer bevels and a thinner design later this year.

Article Link: Apple Sourcing Components for 17-Watt Power Supply, Speculation Focuses on Rumored 13-Inch iPad

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Speculation of a direct corelation between screen size and power draw makes very little sense.

Although the 13" rumor could be true, in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads (including the fabled ipad mini retina).

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

Wrong.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks this might just be in an effort to decrease charging times?

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
I’m really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

I’d like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Maxi Pad

lol

Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".

----------

The main reason for this to exist is to read PDFs.

Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).

----------

I’m really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

I’d like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.

I see what you did there.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).

Yes, but there are more people reading PDFs.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I wouldnt mind an ipad of the same dimensions as the existing one but with a thin bezel all around to make the screen larger

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would definitely buy a 13" iPad if they made one. Hopefully that's one of their 2014 launch products. Maybe in March/April like they did with the first iPad.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'd be surprised to see a 13" iPad. I'm sure there are a lot of good use cases as stated above. But the same thing can be said for the 17" MacBook Pro.

IMO a 13" iPad would be a low selling niche item for geeks and vertical markets.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.

20nm won't be ready until 2014.

17W makes sense. USB 2.0/3.0 spec limit max charging current to 5A. Battery at 3.8V gives you 19W.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
the twist is that the 13 inch iPad will run OS X.

Why would they do that? They are moving away from OSX towards iOS as their primary OS. Just look how many more apps there are for iOS. Putting OSX on the iPad would just confuse everyone like Microsoft did with the Surface. Keep it simple. iOS on iPad and OSX on Mac.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.

AppleTV's ship with power adapters now?

Go home MacRumors, you are drunk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.