Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbarker5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Yorkshire
I will be buying a macbook pro when they get around to releasing a new one and would like to know if the chrome browser supports multi touch as well as safari? I use chrome on all of my devices now but if them gestures aren't available I would go to safari and start migrating my overall usage now for a smooth transition.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
I will be buying a macbook pro when they get around to releasing a new one and would like to know if the chrome browser supports multi touch as well as safari? I use chrome on all of my devices now but if them gestures aren't available I would go to safari and start migrating my overall usage now for a smooth transition.

All of the multitouch transitions work fine for me. My own con is in my opinion the font isn't as clear as Safari...or maybe it's just my vision. :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Chrome used the same engine, WebKit, as Safari for a while, until the Blink fork - but even then Chrome and Safari are still similar in terms of touch support, because of that shared heritage.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Multi touch for back and forward works just fine (though the animation isn't as nice), but there's no support for pinch-to-zoom. Kind of a deal-breaker for me. No native support for something similar to the "Reader" feature as well. The only thing that's currently better about Chrome is that it gives each tab its own system process, so if one tab crashes it doesn't kill the whole browser like with Safari. When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.

You might as well just start transitioning to Safari now. That's what I'm doing. Mavericks is right around the corner!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Multi touch for back and forward works just fine (though the animation isn't as nice), but there's no support for pinch-to-zoom. Kind of a deal-breaker for me. No native support for something similar to the "Reader" feature as well. The only thing that's currently better about Chrome is that it gives each tab its own system process, so if one tab crashes it doesn't kill the whole browser like with Safari. When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.

You might as well just start transitioning to Safari now. That's what I'm doing. Mavericks is right around the corner!
I'm thinking about doing that too... but the problem is that I use non-OSX operating systems, where Safari isn't available...

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.
Better's always highly subjective. One process per tab isn't the only determining criterion for everyone when comparing browsers.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I really liked Chrome until a few weeks ago, when loading pages started to hang. The problem became so chronic that I switched back to Safari. One of my colleagues is experiencing the same problem. I wonder if there was an update that's causing problems.

millk18

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010

- - - -
I like that with my 27 inch screen I don't have to tap or pinch when I open a website with Chrome. It "remembers". When I open a website with Safari (or Firefox, for that matter) I have to manipulate the screen. Needlessly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.