Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video comparing the purported shell of the second-generation iPad mini to the existing iPad mini and the upcoming fifth-generation iPad has surfaced on YouTube. Shared by Unbox Therapy, the shell, which has been previously seen in photos, has a form factor that is nearly identical to the existing iPad mini.

The only difference between the two shells is the mirrored silver Apple logo on the back of the second-generation mini, which is similar to the mirrored finish seen on prototype fifth-generation iPads shells. The current white and silver iPad mini has a black Apple logo.

While the next iPad mini will not feature any design changes, it is expected to be a major upgrade to the existing iPad mini due to the inclusion of a much-desired Retina screen.

The video also provides a comparison of the mini shell alongside a fifth-generation iPad shell, giving a clear look at the mini-style redesign of the next full-sized iPad. The fifth-generation iPad appears to be as thin as the iPad mini, and the size difference between the two tablets is smaller, with the iPad mini measuring in at 20cm in height and the fifth-generation iPad measuring 24cm tall.

Apple's fifth-generation iPad has been long rumored to share multiple visual cues with the iPad mini, featuring a rounded shell, narrower side bezels, and a more compact design. Apple is expected to unveil both the second-generation iPad mini and the fifth-generation iPad later this year.

Article Link: Video Compares Second-Generation iPad Mini Shell to iPad 5, Current Mini

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Honestly, this is no longer news. Nor rumors. Just the reporting of facts due to the plethora of leaks.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Really looking forward to upgrading from my iPad 2 if the mini has a retina display. And no brainer purchase for me if it comes in at the same price.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Wow, I hadn't realized that it would be the same thickness as the mini.

Very sleek.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Larger iPad?

Still hoping for a larger iPad here. I am aware it most likely will not happen, but it would be an amazing thing for musicians to read sheet music on a screen which could match scaled paper.

The fact that the mini and full size are the same thickness is pretty sweet.

Braggadocious Apple Products Go Here

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
And who said apple can't innovate ?!

They cut off the sides!!!!

Next year they'll cut off a little bit off the top..

Then next year a bit off the bottom..

musser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
tedium

Gosh, all this incremental reporting about stuff that no one cares about is getting really tedious. I very much doubt that many of us really care about such nuances. When I think about the state of this world and how so many of us are struggling just to get by, I find all of this so odious and downright silly.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Gosh, all this incremental reporting about stuff that no one cares about is getting really tedious. I very much doubt that many of us really care about such nuances. When I think about the state of this world and how so many of us are struggling just to get by, I find all of this so odious and downright silly.

Well you are on an Apple news sight, so this is not stopping any time soon. Just deal with it.

And besides, just ignore the post if you don't have any interest in it. That would be the practical thing to do. :rolleyes:

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
The only difference between the two shells is the mirrored silver Apple logo on the back of the second-generation mini, which is similar to the mirrored finish seen on prototype fifth-generation iPads shells. The current white and silver iPad mini has a black Apple logo.

Confused, my current white and silver (model A1432) ipad mini has a mirrored silver apple logo on the back...

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
So this video basically shows there won't be a retina :O

No change in dimensions. Isn't the iPad 4 thicker than iPad 3 because of the retina?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
So this video basically shows there won't be a retina :O

No change in dimensions. Isn't the iPad 4 thicker than iPad 3 because of the retina?

No, the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2. The 4 is the same size as the 3. Given that the new back plate for the 5 is the same thickness as the Mini, it is not unreasonable to assume that the retina display tech can fit in a Mini shell. The issue then becomes battery size.

When WSJ said that the Mini would have a retina display a few months ago, that should've been everyone's clue here that it will have one. WSJ = Apple mouthpiece.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
the only thing this shows to me is that the full size ipad being the same thickness and still having retina they will no doubt have retina in the mini. No longer will thickness be a factor like i believe they said with the mini being too thin for retina. igzo displays?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]
Article Link: Video Compares Second-Generation iPad Mini Shell to iPad 5, Current Mini

Looks at back of white iPad mini sitting on my desk - nope, no black apple, it is mirrored silver on the 1st gen iPad mini.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2. The 4 is the same size as the 3. Given that the new back plate for the 5 is the same thickness as the Mini, it is not unreasonable to assume that the retina display tech can fit in a Mini shell. The issue then becomes battery size.

When WSJ said that the Mini would have a retina display a few months ago, that should've been everyone's clue here that it will have one. WSJ = Apple mouthpiece.

Anandtech says the new Nexus 7 gets 12 hrs battery life. I would assume is Asus can do it so can Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.