Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage3.png
Last week, The Omni Group released a program called OmniKeyMaster that would allow users who purchased older Mac App Store versions of the company's software to purchase discounted upgrades in the future, directly from the company.

Today, the company said it would be unable to offer upgrades to Mac App Store customers because of Apple's App Store policies.
My apologies: I'm afraid we will not be able to offer upgrade pricing to our Mac App Store customers after all. So long as we continue to sell our apps through the Mac App Store, we are not allowed to distribute updates through other channels to apps which were purchased from the App Store.

We still feel upgrade pricing is important for customers purchasing serious productivity software, since the initial value received from purchasing an app like OmniGraffle or OmniPlan is much different from the incremental value of upgrading that app from version 5.0 to version 6.0. We will continue to ask Apple to support upgrade pricing in the App Store, and I would encourage others to do the same--but until that happens, upgrade pricing will only be available to customers who buy our apps direct from our online store.
A number of developers have asked Apple for the ability to offer upgrade pricing to purchasers -- a very common software pricing strategy -- but the App Store requires that upgrades either be offered for free to existing owners, or sold as a completely separate offering on the App Store, at the same price for all customers, new and old.

Red Sweater Software's Daniel Jalkut called the move a "chilling message from Apple" and filed a bug report with Apple requesting upgrade pricing support for the App Store:
The impact of Apple's continued lack of support for upgrade pricing has been increased by an apparent effort on Apple's part to enforce 3rd party developers trying to accommodate upgrade pricing through their own means:

http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/update-no-upgrade-pricing-for-mac-app-store-purchases

Most of us Mac developers are loyal Apple fans who would like to support the Mac App Store and keep our customers who purchased on the Mac App Store within that system. By not supporting an upgrade mechanism for these customers Apple leaves us in a position where we're forced to either treat Mac App Store customers as 2nd class customers or to forego across the board the expected compensation for major upgrades to our applications.
Apple has moved away from upgrade pricing in recent years, choosing instead to slash the prices of its major software titles instead of offering discounts for current owners. Final Cut Pro X, for example, costs $299 while its prior version was $999.

Article Link: Apple Prevents Omni Group From Offering Discounted Mac App Store Upgrades

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I mean, this makes total sense, sorry to say. You can't have users buying Apps through the App Store, then updating that App elsewhere. It removes the customer benefits of security, ease of updates, and security. Oh, and security.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I mean, this makes total sense, sorry to say. You can't have users buying Apps through the App Store, then updating that App elsewhere. It removes the customer benefits of security, ease of updates, and security. Oh, and security.
That's the user's choice, not everyone needs to be babied. All this says to me is apple is becoming a control freak and is only going to make their platforms more and more closed.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Buy straight from the developer. No need to deal with the Mac App Store if you can get a discounted version elsewhere. There are certain developers that offer their software on the MAS, but I still go to their website because of discounts, access to betas, etc.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Personally, I'm sick of these 'upgrades' when most of the time it's just bug fixes and compatibility support. Might as well sell your software as a subscription.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012

They (the developers) don't mind selling upgrades via App Store. The problem is that Apple does not support the notion of paid upgrades.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Personally, I'm sick of these 'upgrades' when most of the time it's just bug fixes and compatibility support. Might as well sell your software as a subscription.

Well, in the case of the OmniGroup, the upcoming OmniFocus 2 has been completely redesigned and is essentially a new application.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
The idea with the App Store is that when you buy a piece of software, future updates are included in it and there is no confusability with different versions of the same software.

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
Can they not offer an in-app purchase as an upgrade and then a standalone app for new buyers?

I am not a developer so I don't know if this is possible or extremely inconvenient but it's just a thought.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well, in the case of the OmniGroup, the upcoming OmniFocus 2 has been completely redesigned and is essentially a new application.

Sorry, wasn't pointing towards OmniGroup in particular (actually, Parallels comes to mind as they literally force you to upgrade every year as their prior version is never upgraded to fully function with the latest OS X).

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I like buying from the App Store because I like the idea that all my apps and updates come from a single source; however, there are two major issues:

1. Update pricing.

I want developers to stay in business and feed their families.

2. Time-limited demos.

I cannot justify spending money on more expensive software if I'm not able to try a demo first. This isn't as much of an issue with the Mac App Store since demos are often available from the developer's web site; however, it is an issue for iOS devices.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
If I remember right, Coda 2 debuted on the App store for 50% off for a few days ($49.99 vs $99.99). This is how Panic got around it. However, Panic has other concerns about using the MAS distribution platform, specifically the long approval process:

http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/06/update-on-coda-2-0-1-mac-app-store-version/

Here are some more recent issues they have brought up about the MAS policies on their software -- keep in mind, Coda is used by many power-users as well as non-power-users.

http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/12/coda-and-sandboxing/

As a Coda 1 user who paid the $49 for Coda 2 through the MAS, I hope they do the same when the time comes for Coda 3. The software isn't that expensive, and it is worth every penny I paid for it.

flowney

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
I always purchase from the vendor when there is a choice. Upgrade options are but a part of the reason. Many apps on the MacApp Store have fewer features due to Apple's sandboxing rules.
I did buy Timult Hype 1.0 from the MacAp Store and then recently upgraded to 2.0 directly from the vendor. I guess I was just in time.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm fully in support of discounted app upgrades, as it supports the age-old notion of customer loyalty. But then you could always take the Pixelmator route and offer your powerful apps at dirt-cheap pricing, which renders the need for a discount moot anyway. With that line of thinking, OmniGroup should lower their costs. :)

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
This is good. If we want new software then come out with a new app entry or have the app free and use a key code system

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Slightly off-topic, but:

So funny to see all of the telegraphing on Apple's OSX strategy that is going seemingly unnoticed.

Five years ago, the thought that PC operating systems would ever be locked to the point that you could not run "unsigned" code was laughable. With iOS, the need for heightened security was more understandable. If a virus was capable of being introduced into carrier networks and taking down half the cellular service in a country, that was a scary idea back in 2007. Forward-thinking people could see where Apple would be heading in the future, after the iOS App Store started raking in the bucks.

Not to worry, the diehard Apple defenders told us, Apple would NEVER make OSX a walled garden. Apple was supposedly well aware that users wanted to be able to install the apps of their choice and tweak their systems.

Fast forward six years, and Apple locking down OSX the way they have iOS and making the Mac App Store the ONLY place to obtain software for the Mac looks more like an inevitability than a fevered delusion of Apple detractors.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Can they not offer an in-app purchase as an upgrade and then a standalone app for new buyers?

I am not a developer so I don't know if this is possible or extremely inconvenient but it's just a thought.

This would be the option I choose to develop. Update the product itself with an "Upgrade" button, it will check if you really do own it and you'll be charged with the "upgrade" fee. Even if you have let your installed app lapse several point releases, your app would update to the newer one that has the "Upgrade" button, then you can in-app purchase the upgrade.

However, in-app purchases (if I remember correctly) can't update the core, they are just add-on's. So this wouldn't really be an option. BUT it can give you a redemption code which I do believe you can redeem for a discounted price. I think that is still in place but I haven't written an app with redemption codes so not sure.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I see no reason they can't offer upgrades through the App Store. It sounds to me like they just want more traffic to their website.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Ah, the old walled garden.

If the numbers swing over to Android play store im sure some developers will forgo the App store due to the nazi style control apple wants.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The idea with the App Store is that when you buy a piece of software, future updates are included in it and there is no confusability with different versions of the same software.

Cool, so as I bought Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, Mavericks will be free for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.