Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Possible Apple TV update at September 10 keynote

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...f-set-top-boxes-hints-at-new-apple-tv-product

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/03/apple-tv-likely-on-its-way-for-a-september-10-launch/

http://panjiva.com/blog/2013/09/03/its-not-an-iphone

- On August 25th, Apple received a shipment described as “Set Top Box with Communication Function” from BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China.
- On August 18th, Apple received another shipment, again from BYD, described as “Set Top Boxes.”
- And on August 11th, Apple received its first shipment from BYD of “Set Top Box with Communication Function.
- MacRumors, which follows the device release schedules pretty closely, points out that Apple typically updates Apple TV devices every 377 days, so from that perspective it is long overdue for a makeover.
Other rumour sites are quoting MacRumors.
- Apple recently cut prices of refurbished Apple TV to $75.
- About a year and a half ago, news broke that BYD was a new supplier to Apple.
- The August 25th shipment weighed 16,628 kilograms.
- The August 18th shipment also weighed 16,628 kilograms
- The August 11th shipment weighed 7,044 kilograms.

Last edited:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Yes! My fingers are crossed! I just bought my first 1080p TV a month ago (I haven't owned a TV for 15 years) and I was holding out on buying an Apple TV until the fall product announcements were made. Just a weak rumor at this moment in time, but we'll see soon! And don't worry folks...if an update is not announced, I'll simply buy the current version and start enjoying it. It is just $100 you know...

Bryan

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
maybe a new appletv with some storage and xbmc?

I don't care about storage that's gonna make it cost more , plus an apple hardrive cost more than a regular drive

USB ports would be enough , and also not have iTunes running on the pc

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'am buying my Apple TV not from an Apple store as its on sale with 10 bucks off, i will keep it in shrink wrap with the receipt and if something worthy surfaces on the 10 i will return it for a refund. Should nothing spawn from Apples den on the 10, i will keep it as my movie collection is already at 500gb so I cannot be bothered to wait anymore.

For me it would be a big deal if Apple makes their next gen box ultra hd compatible and brings back storage in flash, otherwise some minor hardware tweaks (better processor and wifi protocal ) and software tweaks (app store) will not lure me in. I am also confident if apple brings the app store to their next gen box they release a update for users who use the current gen. But this is not much of a big deal as you can use airplay to stream your apps and games.

I also cannot see myself using the app store on my Apple TV, as I primarily use my Nintendo WII U and Playstation 3 for games. Games from the app store are great on small screen, but you cannot compare Real racing to Gran Turismo or the upcoming Oceanhorn to Legend of Zelda.

One more thing an Apple TV is different in the sense we all update our Macs, iPhones and iPads for better performance, storage or better/larger screens. However with an Apple TV as long as it can stream your itunes content and connect to the net its purpose simply ends there unless you jailbreak.

Last edited:

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I guess I don't understand the need for local storage - would just increase it's size and cost. Everything streams (in my house anyway) effortlessly to my 2 ATV's (3rd gen) without a hitch. I leave my iMac with iTunes running anyway, so it's no hassle.

Is there another angle to this that I am missing? What do people see being added to the next gen ATV that is currently missing?

Seems like it works exactly as it should right now...

My $0.02 anyway

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
maybe a new appletv with some storage and xbmc?

The Apple TV will NEVER have XBMC unless it is jailbroken or given an App Store.

Even if either or both of those two things occur, they will be overshadowed by whatever Apple does next with Apple TV, which is bound to include something (at least a little) revolutionary.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
For me its not so much about the hardware--though updates are always nice. I'd love to have even more channels become available--as long as they aren't tied to a full on cable subscription. I'm very willing to pay for content. I know that an HBO Go app that I could subscribe to on its own is a pipe dream right now--but that would be great.

A TWC app is rumored, but will still require a cable subscription--totally useless.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Id just love it if they changed the software to have more sorting options and to actually MAKE SENSE. Going into "computers" to watch something on my local itunes server makes NO SENSE. Furthermore, the way in which you sort movies is ridiculous. This is the only thing i miss about XBMC. the ability to sort by rating, date added, year, etc. And to be able to click on an actor and see what other movies they are in. Same goes for tv shows and all its sorting. These are the only things IMO that the apple tv needs changing.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I guess I don't understand the need for local storage - would just increase it's size and cost. Everything streams (in my house anyway) effortlessly to my 2 ATV's (3rd gen) without a hitch. I leave my iMac with iTunes running anyway, so it's no hassle.

That's why local storage is desired.
Having to leave an other computer running is simply silly.
It might not be a hassle but it is still silly.
Especially in an age of networked storage.
Provide local storage or provide NAS support.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I'd just like another nice software update with even more additional channels added (SHO Anytime please!). Hopefully we'll see one when iOS 7 is released here in a couple of weeks.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

It's less silly than it used to be, in the sense that since Lion, the computer can be in a "sleep" state and still serve file requests and similar operations without powering up the monitor or other peripherals.

That said, I've love to see a solution that allows the ATV to directly access an iTunes library stored on an NAS or similar device.

Chad McCan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Kansas City, MO
There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to connect to a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with additional storage, without iTunes running on another computer.

For that matter, I should be able to buy something on iTunes and have it download directly to my Time Capsule, instead of the computer I'm buying it from.

Also, add Safari or some other browser. Quit yankin my chain...

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
If it's a new device, I doubt on board storage is going to be a part of it. The trend is towards streaming media.

I wonder if they might be adding games or maybe something to do with Siri?

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Just saw this somewhere else, but another interesting rumor: FaceTime + hardware camera / microphone. The mic could be built into the remote, and the camera could be integrated or wired to the AppleTV. Being able to FT from my couch, using my 60" LED TV as a replacement for my iPhone or iPad would be fantastic.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008

Leaving a computer on is silly, but having the ATV have it's own storage or an NAS is any less so? So what happens? All my content that I download/purchase is stored on the NAS...so my computer(s) and ATV's can access it...so either way, still streaming, whether from my iMac or NAS. 6 of one?

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
If all they changed was better sorting options for browsing through my library, and enabled 24p output, I would immediately order 3 of them.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
As much as I like the look of the remote its not very functional. I wish they provide an app for the iPhone iPad and iPod to function as a remote. Would sure make searching much easier.

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
This is certainly interesting and, at least to me, out of left field. Makes me personally wonder what will be enough to make me upgrade my ATV (3rd gen). Someone mentioned FaceTime... that may be interesting. Considering Apple has been trying to integrate all of their products and features across all platforms, it would make sense for them to add FaceTime (and possibly iMessage) in the future. Maybe this potential revision?

Granted, to make using iMessage on the Apple TV more effective and not rage inducing with entering text using the remote, a person would just use the remote app from their iPhone or iPad. Which, if they did that, could just as easily use the Messages app found natively on their phone or iPad.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
If it's a new device, I doubt on board storage is going to be a part of it. The trend is towards streaming media.

They definitely need to increase the flash storage and RAM if they want to support games. Right now it is pretty limited. But, like you said, they aren't going to add user accessible storage. That is the opposite direction they are going.

m1key

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I really don't see why people want storage on the Apple TV (unless they add some kind of extra functionality like an app store). Do you really want to pay an extra apple premium for an HD? The price point is already where it needs to be. Plus I think the focus is streaming media. Anyways, a USB port would be ideal and more efficient, you could hook up your external hard drive to it and forget about it (this will never happen though)! Until then I'll be sticking to my mini display port to hdmi adaptor + xbmc on my macbook pro.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I really don't see why people want storage on the Apple TV (unless they add some kind of extra functionality like an app store). Do you really want to pay an extra apple premium for an HD? The price point is already where it needs to be. Plus I think the focus is streaming media. Anyways, a USB port would be ideal and more efficient, you could hook up your external hard drive to it and forget about it (this will never happen though)! Until then I'll be sticking to my mini display port to hdmi adaptor + xbmc on my macbook pro.

Flash storage would be great to store and load movies rather than streaming them.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
m1key's way is THE way (IMO). Apple couldn't possibly choose the right amount of onboard flash storage. No matter what they picked, it would be too small for those hungry for local storage and a complete waste for those content with streaming: "why should I pay for storage I'll never use?".

THE way would be to normalize that USB port and allow those interested in local storage to attach however much storage they want. If they want SSD/Flash, they can choose that. If they want hard drive or RAID, they can choose that. 500GB or 5TB or more or less- whatever works for each person... without forcing the added cost of local storage on anyone.

Another way would be to turn on NAS options. Interested users could store their media on a NAS drive and :apple:TV could stream it from there. Since this would be software, no one would be paying for hardware changes they'll never use. And again, this would give each interested user the ability to have whatever amount of NAS storage they want.

I owned the 1st gen and miss the local storage. That one could be hacked to make it's USB port work with large external drives of up to at least 2GB. It was great to have that option. Some homes aren't stocked with multiple computers and laptops are increasingly becoming the "home" computer (too). When that laptop leaves the house, the :apple:TV cannot access the home's own media. That's a big reason to include a local storage option.

Big storage is cheap and getting cheaper. Apple used to offer local storage on an :apple:TV. There's already a USB port built into the current :apple:TV but it is gimped by design. There's a good segment that wants local storage (but another that thinks streaming is THE way) so normalizing that USB port could give both groups exactly what they want. Win for the crowd that thinks it's stupid. Win for the crowd that thinks it's essential. Win for Apple because it would sell more units to that latter group.

Ceebler

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Win for the crowd that thinks it's essential. Win for Apple because it would sell more units to that latter group.

You may think it is a win for Apple because it sells more units, but they may see it as a losing proposition as it might eat into their iTunes and iCloud sales/rentals/income.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.