Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png
Apple has asked developers to prepare for Safari Push Notifications, a new feature included in OS X Mavericks, according to Cult of Mac.

Safari Push Notifications allow websites to send push notifications to website users even when Safari is not running.
OS X Mavericks introduces a powerful new way to keep users engaged with your website. You can now use the Apple Push Notifications Service to send notifications to your website users, right on their Mac desktop -- even when Safari isn't running. Safari Push Notifications work just like push notifications for apps. They display your website icon and notification text, which users can click to go right to your website.
Apple offers extensive implementation information on Safari Push Notifications on its developer website and iMore has looked at the feature previously.

Mavericks also adds new interactivity to push notifications, allowing users to perform tasks like replying to an iMessage, or deleting an email, right from the notification. OS X Mavericks is expected to be released later this fall.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Prepare for New 'Safari Push Notification' Feature in Mavericks

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
What an annoying "feature". Get spammed directly in your web browser.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
People are still getting this confused with a non-existent feature that lets iOS apps send notifications to OS X.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
you best have to be signed up to a wesbite and not just any website you frequent because that would get annoying real quick.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I hope there's a way to turn this off, right? I imagine someone will quickly write a push notification whitelist/blacklist extension if not, but it should be a built-in preference...and OFF by default, but I doubt it. Already having issues with Mountain Lion app notifications constantly getting in my way.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
For me.....

a direct Apple request on some feature or set of features shows a push in that direction. Or future plans to rely or bid high in such features. Have to wait and see how Apple implements the things in real world and how these things fare....

:):apple:

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder how soon Mavericks is going to be released then... surely not next week already? Maybe (if we're getting Macs next week, which doesn't seem too likely anymore) they'll be getting the 10.8.5 which Apple seems to be putting a fair amount of work into.

Slightly related: does anyone know if you can check off a reminder directly from the notification in Mavericks? That's something that really bugs me in ML... I don't like waiting for the reminders app to open just so I can check something off.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
This could be extremely useful and possible a replacement for my rss reader.
I hope that Macrumors do this so that I don't need to constantly check the news.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Well, I can already do exactly the same thing with an RSS reader. But some sites don't have an RSS feed, so I guess this could be a nice feature.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
What an annoying "feature". Get spammed directly in your web browser.
you best have to be signed up to a wesbite and not just any website you frequent because that would get annoying real quick.
I hope there's a way to turn this off, right? I imagine someone will quickly write a push notification whitelist/blacklist extension if not, but it should be a built-in preference...and OFF by default, but I doubt it. Already having issues with Mountain Lion app notifications constantly getting in my way.

Guys, this is Apple. Of course you aren't going to get spammed. It's opt-in and sites must be registered with Apple.

From iMore:
The important thing to understand here is that you won't be deluged by every web site under the sun sending you notifications. The only ones that can do it are ones that have your permission. And the only web developers that can do it are registered with Apple, so you can be reasonably certain that they're not causing trouble.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Will clicking the notification open the page in Safari or your default web browser?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
I hope MacRumors uses this feature.

Since the sites are vetted by Apple, most unlikely.

Also, Safari has had notifications built-in since RSS inexplicably vanished. The popularity of those is such that I have had a deluge of exactly no sites offering notifications...

Will clicking the notification open the page in Safari or your default web browser?

According to 9to5Mac, the default browser.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What's interesting is that Apple is giving websites a way to be more app-like.

You know, the same Apple that wants to "trap" you in their walled garden and "monopolize" everything by forcing people to use the App Store.

This kind of lets some air out of that bag, huh?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Since the sites are vetted by Apple, most unlikely.

Also, Safari has had notifications built-in since RSS inexplicably vanished. The popularity of those is such that I have had a deluge of exactly no sites offering notifications...

According to 9to5Mac, the default browser.

I doubt that Apple would block MacRumors. Apple loves this site I'm pretty sure.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
So, basically RSS feeds pushed to your desktop, but instead of RSS it will be some proprietary Apple BS. And annoying. No thanks.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This seems useful to me.

Use it for the sites you want and don't use it for the ones you don't. Not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.