Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faible

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Imagine push notifications for forums when you receive a new PM or somebody quoted your post. That would be really useful!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
You have to pay Apple to issue a certificate because you have to use their servers and they can revoke this certificate at any time.

You can argue that these decisions make sense, but in the end it's still a walled garden with a tollbooth.

And with mandatory Apple censorship of content too.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.

I assume each website would have some sore of alert telling you it supports push notifications (Maybe even just a soft dropdown at the top, not a hard alert. Like the app store links on iOS.) Then you either allow or deny.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
God how,.... uhmm, not clever do you have to be to believe that this would enable every website to send you notifications... ??!?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Man, the bitching here is unbelievable. This is a nice feature which you can turn on for news from specific websites you like and which use it in a good way and keep it turned off for all the other sites. Simple as that. Pathetic whiny attitude with zero power of imagination on this board.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.

Notifications are on by default for apps, web sites will likely be opt in. Eventually, some sites will be automatic I am sure. Such as Apple.com. etc etc. You can't turn notification center off completely, you have to disable everything manually.

It is just you. You can disable app with useless (or useless to you) notifications, or like I do I just disable the last 5 entries in notification Center and keep only for app which is important I remember things.

Yes, but you can't disable Notification Center. You have to manually manage all your apps. And the icon never goes away.

Why is it super annoying? I love push notifications on my iPhone. It's so much better than notifications on my Mac which is usually delivered through e-mail. THAT'S what's annoying!

It is annoying because on my computer I am usually working, thus I check things when I need to. When I get notifications, it is an interruption to work, or play, or whatever I am doing. If you are a busy person eg multiple shared calendars, shared dropboxes and email accounts, you get a lot of notifications. So notification center is useless for work. If I could tell it to only notify me when a certain thing I am waiting for happened...then fine. But otherwise it is just a constant stream of annoying notifications. So I disable everything. But the icon won't go away.

I don't mind notifications on my phone because I can set it to silent and check it every once in a while. On a computer I am staring at the screen and constant little bubbles keep popping up.

I am sure notification center is great for people who really want to follow online threads, or know when they got their daily email or some such..but as an actual tool for important notifications, it falls short in my opinion. One of the worst Apple features, and I can't even hide the button.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Notifications are on by default for apps, web sites will likely be opt in. Eventually, some sites will be automatic I am sure. Such as Apple.com. etc etc. You can't turn notification center off completely, you have to disable everything manually.

Yes, but you can't disable Notification Center. You have to manually manage all your apps. And the icon never goes away.

It is annoying because on my computer I am usually working, thus I check things when I need to. When I get notifications, it is an interruption to work, or play, or whatever I am doing. If you are a busy person eg multiple shared calendars, shared dropboxes and email accounts, you get a lot of notifications. So notification center is useless for work. If I could tell it to only notify me when a certain thing I am waiting for happened...then fine. But otherwise it is just a constant stream of annoying notifications. So I disable everything. But the icon won't go away.

I don't mind notifications on my phone because I can set it to silent and check it every once in a while. On a computer I am staring at the screen and constant little bubbles keep popping up.

I am sure notification center is great for people who really want to follow online threads, or know when they got their daily email or some such..but as an actual tool for important notifications, it falls short in my opinion. One of the worst Apple features, and I can't even hide the button.

Jesus, if you are SO annoyed by your notification center (and the hours of work to turn an app off in the settings), just do this:

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_disable_notification_center_mountain_lion

Even the so terribly annoying icon will disappear with the permanent method.

Last edited:

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
This feature could be good or bad. Good because sites like MR would be awesome. Bad because Yahoo would probably SPAM the heck out of me.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
But is that going to mean that every time I visit one of these registered sites I'm going to get a system pop-up saying "MacRumors would like to send you push notifications"? If this catches on and lots of sites register this could get really annoying really quickly. Yes, you could no doubt turn the function off, but I think a lot of people might want to use it for maybe news websites and aren't going to want to have to say no to every other retailer's website they visit that wants to be able to push notify them of their latest sale items every other day.

I hope for a solution where the user is the first active party - asking through a click if this website offers notifications or having to click on a button/link on the website to subscribe - in comparison to the "XY would like to" pop-ups without requesting them. But I'm not a developer, I have no idea how exactly this works. Nice would be a little symbol in the address bar of the browser like the little "RSS" icon showed up in the past if the homepage offered it.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
This could be extremely useful and possible a replacement for my rss reader.

That was my first thought. I relied heavily on Reeder to keep up on specific news and articles related to my field. Reeder has been empty and useless since June 28.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can continue following websites with RSS?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You have to pay Apple to issue a certificate because you have to use their servers and they can revoke this certificate at any time.

You can argue that these decisions make sense, but in the end it's still a walled garden with a tollbooth.

My point is that it's proof that Apple is not attempting to make their app stores the ONLY way you're allowed to do anything on an Apple device as some have feared.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
That was my first thought. I relied heavily on Reeder to keep up on specific news and articles related to my field. Reeder has been empty and useless since June 28.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can continue following websites with RSS?

Try Feedly. I imported my Google Reader subscriptions into this. Best RSS reader to "consume" blog news etc., in my opinion. Works directly in your browser/via plugin on your Mac, iPhone/iPad companion apps do exist too, of course. Second place: Flipboard. Both really "magazine"-like, but you can change that at least in Feedly to a more "list" like view, too. If you still need it more simplistic, there are some other Reeder clones for Mac and iOS out there.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
What an annoying "feature". Get spammed directly in your web browser.

why on earth would you sign up for alerts from something you didnt want?

also, it's not in the browser -- the point of the feature is its websites sending notifications to your *OS*.

----------

To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.

please, stop using common sense -- they cant handle it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This will be a timesaver if MR uses it. Now I can find out when I'm put in Time Out without leaving my desktop. :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This will be a timesaver if MR uses it. Now I can find out when I'm put in Time Out without leaving my desktop. :)

LOL We need to produce an annul book of the top comments on MacRumors. There've been some genius, witty, and creative posts, especially some of the images created and posted on the "Mavericks" launch thread. :)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
As someone who has long championed Apple giving users options I really don't see the problem with this at all, if it looks useful to some people then it could be a great feature, good for them.

If it looks like it would be an annoying feature, as it does to me, then I'm sure we can turn it off. Though I also share the view of those who wish there was a simple way to just turn off notification centre altogether (in the UI / System Prefs), for those of us who would want to*.

*Terminal is not for everyone ;)

Last edited:

mhelpdesk

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Business Management Software

Hello Everyone,

Mhelp Desk provides the best software services in each business. Easy to use and most reliable field service management software. This all-in-one app helps you in tracking your work orders, technicians, scheduling and billing.

Wispy

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
New age of Push. Some forums and social will can make cool notifications.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Try Feedly. I imported my Google Reader subscriptions into this. Best RSS reader to "consume" blog news etc., in my opinion. Works directly in your browser/via plugin on your Mac, iPhone/iPad companion apps do exist too, of course. Second place: Flipboard. Both really "magazine"-like, but you can change that at least in Feedly to a more "list" like view, too. If you still need it more simplistic, there are some other Reeder clones for Mac and iOS out there.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.