Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jabil_logo-250x62.jpg
Chinese labor rights group China Labor Watch (CLW) has released a report (via The Next Web) bringing forth allegations of major labor abuses at a Chinese factory belonging to Jabil Circuit, a U.S.-based supplier to Apple. Specifically, the workers rights group accuses the company of numerous labor and wage violations, including millions of dollars in unpaid overtime wages, over 100 hours of monthly mandatory overtime, hiring discrimination, and excessive standing work.

Additionally, the report states that the factory is currently producing Apple's lower-cost iPhone 5C as these alleged labor violations have been taking place, a device which should be unveiled next Tuesday.
A new undercover investigation by China Labor Watch (CLW) has revealed a series of ethical and legal labor violations in a factory in Wuxi, China owned by U.S. electronics manufacturer Jabil Circuit that is currently producing the soon-to-be-released cheap iPhone for Apple.

Among the infringements uncovered by CLW include millions of dollars in unpaid overtime wages; over 100 hours of monthly mandatory overtime, three times in excess of legal limits; more than 11 hours of standing work every day with no rest outside of 30-minute meal breaks; illegally inadequate pre-work training; hiring discrimination; and more.

Many of the violations raised in CLW's report also contradict the codes of conduct of both Apple and Jabil Circuit. Despite half a decade of outside investigations and self-reporting on myriad labor abuse throughout its Chinese supply chain, Apple has continually failed to compel supplier factories to conform to Apple's code of conduct and local labor laws before giving these suppliers Apple production orders.
Last month, the group also alleged poor working conditions at primary Apple supplier Pegatron, stating specific violations such as the unethical holding of worker pay as well as poor living conditions. Apple announced in July that it was forming an academic advisory board for its Supplier Responsibility program, saying that it wanted to ensure "safe and ethical working conditions wherever its products are made." Apple has also published Supplier Responsibility Progress Reports every year since 2007, tracking the ethical progress of its suppliers in order to bring transparency to its product manufacturing process.

Update: Apple issued this statement to AllThingsD, saying the company takes "any concerns about [its] suppliers very seriously":
Apple is committed to providing safe and fair working conditions throughout our supply chain. We lead the industry with far-reaching and specialized audits, the most transparent reporting and educational programs that enrich the lives of workers who make our products. Apple is the first and only technology company to be admitted to the Fair Labor Association, and we are dedicated to protecting every worker in our supply chain.

As part of our extensive Supplier Responsibility program, Apple has conducted 14 comprehensive audits at Jabil facilities since 2008, including three audits of Jabil Wuxi in the past 36 months. We take any concerns about our suppliers very seriously, and our team of experts is on-site at Jabil Wuxi to look into the new claims about conditions there. Jabil has a proactive auditing program of their own and they have an excellent track record of meeting Apple's high standards.

Employees at Jabil are among the 1 million workers in Apple's supply chain whose working hours we track each week and report on our website. Year to date, Jabil Wuxi has performed above our 92% average for compliance with Apple's 60-hour per week limit. An audit completed earlier this year did find that some employees had worked more than six consecutive days without a day of rest, and Jabil has been working with our team to better manage overtime.

We are proud of the work we do with our suppliers to improve conditions for workers. Our program goes far beyond monitoring by ensuring corrective actions where they are needed and aggressively enforcing our supplier code of conduct wherever Apple products are made. We believe in transparency and accountability, both for our suppliers and ourselves.

Article Link: Chinese Labor Group Alleges Major Labor Violations at Apple iPhone 5C Supplier Jabil Circuit [Update: Apple to Investigate]

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It is interesting to me that Apple has "failed to compel supplier factories to conform to Apple's code of conduct and local labor laws before giving these suppliers Apple production orders." So why not find a supplier who does? Is there actually a shortage of suppliers?

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Politically-correct people = "lower-cost iPhone 5C"

Real people = "cheap iPhone"

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Why am I not surprised by another story of labour irregularities by a Chinese supplier doing work for Apple. Apple should be hiring people to oversee these companies so they stay in compliance with Apple's conduct demands.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
unpaid overtime wages, over 100 hours of monthly mandatory overtime, hiring discrimination, and excessive standing work.

Could probably say the same thing about every minimum wage fast food job in the US.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
If only it were the iPhone 5S that they were doing there then we could call it the iPhone 5(Sweatshop). What clever words start with a C that get the same point across

----------

Why am I not surprised by another story of labour irregularities by a Chinese supplier doing work for Apple. Apple should be hiring people to oversee these companies so they stay in compliance with Apple's conduct demands.

Gotta keep margins high to keep stock holders happy. Can't afford to pay people a real wage to assemble devices

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
"Apple has continually failed to compel supplier factories to conform to Apple’s code of conduct and local labor laws before giving these suppliers Apple production orders"

I just don't see how people can try and make it seem like it's Apple's fault... Surely this is the fault of the factory and the responsibility of the contracted company and the local government to rectify this.

Certainly Apple can try and make a show that they're trying to do the right thing, but trying to blame it on Apple... That Apple is failing... It seems wrong.

I can blame Apple for lots, but not really for this one.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Gotta keep margins high to keep stock holders happy. Can't afford to pay people a real wage to assemble devices

I get you. Was thinking of one or two people strategically placed, that work directly for Apple, who could oversee that things are being done properly. For the small cost to Apple, I would think that better than the bad publicity.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Trouble is that even if Apple was in compliance these groups would make a stink. It's a game. Like figuring out ways to leak info and making knockoffs.

ascylto

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
Bad conditions of work.

Since time began bad labour conditions have been associated with up-and-coming regimes like China. Just look back at working and pay conditions in North America and the UK to sustain upcoming companies and growth.

Just look. It's normal.

It's only since we gained the ability to have our views aired to so many people that we've gained 'consciences' about what we do to whom and for what reason.

Again, it's normal!!!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Trouble is that even if Apple was in compliance these groups would make a stink. It's a game. Like figuring out ways to leak info and making knockoffs.

Exactly, and because of that, I (personally) really don't care anymore. If a product is made in China, guess what, it's likely got components made in these conditions. Doesn't matter who's name is on it at the end.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
"Apple has continually failed to compel supplier factories to conform to Apple’s code of conduct and local labor laws before giving these suppliers Apple production orders"

I just don't see how people can try and make it seem like it's Apple's fault... Surely this is the fault of the factory and the responsibility of the contracted company and the
local government to rectify this.

Certainly Apple can try and make a show that they're trying to do the right thing, but trying to blame it on Apple... That Apple is failing... It seems wrong.

Local governments are often easy to bribe, in China and everywhere.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Its not Apple fault if the government and the company lies to them. Blaming Apple on this makes human right groups looks unethical.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Could probably say the same thing about every minimum wage fast food job in the US.

So true. And these Chinese factory jobs are apparently in high demand. This issue will never be satisfied for these watchdog groups until Apple is somehow irrelevant and then they'll move on from Apple's carcass and target someone else.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

I just don't see how people can try and make it seem like it's Apple's fault... Surely this is the fault of the factory and the responsibility of the contracted company and the local government to rectify this.

So what IS your threshold for holding Apple accountable? Worker beatings? Child labor? Slave labor? Or could Apple's suppliers be doing ALL of these, and you STILL wouldn't want Apple to intervene?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Exactly, and because of that, I (personally) really don't care anymore. If a product is made in China, guess what, it's likely got components made in these conditions. Doesn't matter who's name is on it at the end.

There is that too. China has a tight hold in a large rare earth metal cache and if you want the metals the components have to be made there as the raw materials are illegal to export. It's part of how China pulled in jobs back in the day and how they keep them there

I would love to see products from any major company made in regional centers so that those that buy are supporting 'local' labor. But even then it will likely just be final assembly as the smaller parts will still be made in China for the most part. Japan just found a big cache of some of the metals in question so a bit might turn up there but as I recall it's not all the needed metals so it won't be a total flip off.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
Apple... the richest company in the world thanks to modern slavery :rolleyes:

… You can say the same about the West. Ancient Rome, The USA, UK, France, Spain …

Strange is, Microsoft, DELL, etc … get RICH the same way, but noOne did care about those exploited Asians.
Actually calling it slavery is an insult for those who were raped and treated like disposable possession.
Those people are FREE!

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Short of putting people on the shop floors of all these mega-factories, I'm not sure what else Apple can do. They can lay out their policy, and issue yearly reports, but unless they're actually there, when these gross labor infractions take place, Apple is in the dark as to what really goes on there. And they certainly can be lied to as well, as far as what's going on, after they turn their backs.

Being such a high profile company, they're sitting ducks for all this criticism, that should be directed at the industry as a whole, and not just Apple.

We --the western world-- can put all the pressure on those factories, we want, but any lasting reforms, with strict oversight, must ultimately be implemented by the Chinese authorities.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
And all this only saves a few labor bucks over US production, $4 in the case of the Google phone.

The real savings is in tax avoidance and being able to dump stuff in the rivers.

Apple is merely the the biggest and most interesting US company there, but every Hecho en China product has the same background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.