Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
better quality. brighter and more detailed images.

And it would completely drain the battery of a 4" device in the span of a couple hours. I suppose you meant 1080p HD, right? 720 would barely be a difference resolution wise in comparison to the iPhone 5.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The big question is whether the iPad 5 and the iPad Mini Retina will benefit from an A7 too.

The Mini got away with an A5 this generation simply because of the lower res screen, as it approaches retina it will need just as much juice to power it as the bigger iPad. I'll be disappointed if the mini gets saddled with a lesser chip than the bigger iPad this year.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
its most likely a more energy efficient, overclocked A6 with possibly LPDDR3 memory as opposed to the LPDDR2 in the iphone 5 right now

1.6 ghz-1.8 ghz dual swift cores(iphone 5 is 1.3 ghz dual swift cores)

that along with upgrade in the GPU obviously as well, the 5S is going to be incredibly smooth,fast and fluent

Honestly, unless developers start releasing apps specifically for the 5s, I doubt a spec increase will even be noticeable. To my experience, the 5 is already the fastest mobile device available and I don't really see any room for improvement in that regard given the apps currently available. When the 5s is released, the A5 will become the standard which future apps will be designed to operate on. Probably won't be until 2015/16 before the A6 starts to show its age. Of course each new iPhone needs an improved processor to prevent it from becoming obsolete 2 years after it's release.

----------

The big question is whether the iPad 5 and the iPad Mini Retina will benefit from an A7 too.

The Mini got away with an A5 this generation simply because of the lower res screen, as it approaches retina it will need just as much juice to power it as the bigger iPad. I'll be disappointed if the mini gets saddled with a lesser chip than the bigger iPad this year.

The iPad 5 will definitely be released with an enhanced version of the A7. the mini will also if the A7 is more energy efficient than the A6. At the very least, the mini will have an A6 if it has a retina display.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
And it would completely drain the battery of a 4" device in the span of a couple hours. I suppose you meant 1080p HD, right? 720 would barely be a difference resolution wise in comparison to the iPhone 5.

the smaller the screen size the bigger the difference(720p wont affect much the battery) for a 1080p screen they will have to increase the phone size(to fit a bigger battery, otherwise the battery would drain too quickly)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
the smaller the screen size the bigger the difference(720p wont affect much the battery) for a 1080p screen they will have to increase the phone size(to fit a bigger battery, otherwise the battery would drain too quickly)

That was my point, really. I could see them, maybe, making a 720p iPhone on the future. I just don't see them making a 1080p, it's kind of pointless. It's just a continued PPI war. It's like megapixels. There are more important things to focus on than PPI.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
That was my point, really. I could see them, maybe, making a 720p iPhone on the future. I just don't see them making a 1080p, it's kind of pointless. It's just a continued PPI war. It's like megapixels. There are more important things to focus on than PPI.

no, there will be a 1080p iphone, but, it'd have a bigger display size. and, you're right about the 720p display coming in 4inch screen, maybe, the iphone 6 will sport it.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
You suspect wrong. I was like the biggest apple fanboy ever lol.
And I'm too deep entrenched in ios to ever move out of the platform.
The fact is, apple hasn't dont anything big with iphone since 2010.
It just hasn't.
And it looks like this year is not going to change that.
I'm disappointed in the progress in this platform. Defend it all you want but you cannot deny the stagnation.

There's nothing to defend here. As I already pointed out, the article was about the processor, not the phone, yet you were complaining like it was the only thing that was changing.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
There's nothing to defend here. As I already pointed out, the article was about the processor, not the phone, yet you were complaining like it was the only thing that was changing.

All signs point to this year's iphone being another S upgrade - ie. a major spec bump, but a spec bump nonetheless.
Except, this points to this year's spec bump being less than the spec bumps of the previous S series phones. (3GS = 2x....4S = 2x)

Honestly, I'm just annoyed as my contracts just ended and I'd wanted a major upgrade in iPhone in time for it not just another 30% bump (I'll be getting the 5S)

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
It would be nice if they had a 4.5 or 4.7" iPhone with a 720p screen. I have the new droid maxx with a 5" 720p screen and have to say its the best looking phone screen I have seen so far. There is no point in a 1080p screen on a phone. All it does is waste battery life and makes you need a better processor so apps don't lag. I have never had an iPhone because to me the screens have always been to small. Give me a 4.5-5" screen and the battery life of the droid maxx and then I may try an iPhone.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
All signs point to this year's iphone being another S upgrade - ie. a major spec bump, but a spec bump nonetheless.
Except, this points to this year's spec bump being less than the spec bumps of the previous S series phones. (3GS = 2x....4S = 2x)

Honestly, I'm just annoyed as my contracts just ended and I'd wanted a major upgrade in iPhone in time for it not just another 30% bump (I'll be getting the 5S)

Last year Apple made the jump from using an ARM Cortex A9 reference design to a much more in house design. Those types of changes don't happen every year, so you can't expect similarly large jumps. Exynos 5 is a big jump over Exynos 4 because it switched to an ARM Cortex A15 reference design (compared to an A9 design for the Exynos 4). That's effectively what Apple did last year.

Apples chips can fall behind on benchmarks due to the core count, but that's not really indicative of day to day performance where you don't often load all 4+ cores up. Core for core, Apple's dual core chips are solid and at the very least keeping pace with other chips. Where Apple really shines though are with the GPUs they use. Virtually always chart toppers, which leads to the UI fluidity that iOS is known for.

If your contract just ended, I assume you don't have an iPhone 5. Even if the 5S is "only" 30% faster than the iPhone 5, you're still going to get all the performance gains of the iPhone 5 as well. You won't be short on processing power. Honestly, it would be nice if a 30% gain means that the 5S will have better battery life than the iPhone 5. That's probably its biggest shortfall. battery life is low by iPhone standards.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
1080p screen is not the right way to look at an iphone because you will get no benefit from chucking a screen in based on highest possible resolution. its just another number war like the debacle of late with tv contrast figures.

the smaller a screen the lower the resolution you need to maintain the same level of detail to the eye at a proper viewing distance. Understand what ppi is actually about, the density is whats important thats why Apple always does the comparison of what their pixel density is relative to the screen size on say a tv and they show the iPhones pixels are so dense they are indistinguishable to the eye.

The screens do need improving as thats the nature of technology but just throwing a 1080p screen when you will get same visual results with less will only cause more drain on the battery.

as for the chip which this thread relates to, the new ipad will get same processor more or less as the 5s and the mini will most likely get a current gen processor still being an upgrade but also allowing it to be cheaper than its bigger more powerful brother.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
the A6 processor was so great that i never faced any issues i can only wonder how great will the A7 processor be? it's definitely gonna blow the competition out of the water.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
1080p screen is not the right way to look at an iphone because you will get no benefit from chucking a screen in based on highest possible resolution. its just another number war like the debacle of late with tv contrast figures.

the smaller a screen the lower the resolution you need to maintain the same level of detail to the eye at a proper viewing distance. Understand what ppi is actually about, the density is whats important thats why Apple always does the comparison of what their pixel density is relative to the screen size on say a tv and they show the iPhones pixels are so dense they are indistinguishable to the eye.

The screens do need improving as thats the nature of technology but just throwing a 1080p screen when you will get same visual results with less will only cause more drain on the battery.

as for the chip which this thread relates to, the new ipad will get same processor more or less as the 5s and the mini will most likely get a current gen processor still being an upgrade but also allowing it to be cheaper than its bigger more powerful brother.

Phones went 1080p because its native full HD resolution and not for braging rights or to fit as many PPI as they could.we are not asking apple to cram 1080p in a 4.0 in device,we want to see it in a bigger screen like a 5.0 and having native 1080p is perfect for watching video playback.

They are already a 16:9 format so they are half way there

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Phones went 1080p because its native full HD resolution and not for braging rights or to fit as many PPI as they could.we are not asking apple to cram 1080p in a 4.0 in device,we want to see it in a bigger screen like a 5.0 and having native 1080p is perfect for watching video playback.

They are already a 16:9 format so they are half way there

Even 1080p on a 5" screen is pointless.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Even 1080p on a 5" screen is pointless.

That's your opinion but I and everyone that I have shown my gs4 screen can easily see a huge improvement over there 720p phones.

Maybe you should get your eyes checked lol

Just for fun go put a Samsung galaxy nexus and a galaxy gs4 side by side and look how much better the gs4 screen looks.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's your opinion but I and everyone that I have shown my gs4 screen can easily see a huge improvement over there 720p phones.

Maybe you should get your eyes checked lol

Just for fun go put a Samsung galaxy nexus and a galaxy gs4 side by side and look how much better the gs4 screen looks.

The Galaxy Nexus has bigger screen problems than its resolution.

It has horrible color production, which has nothing to do with resolution.

Color production is way more important than resolution.

Did I say there wasn't an improvement? No. I'm saying that the improvement isn't worth the hit to the battery.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
thats what i did

I think it's time for you to try android if you haven't already done so.

i am happy now with the xperia zl - and probably I "must" by the new xperia z1 (using the old iPhone 5 for ... ?, what ever)

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

Sure they do.

They agree with "NAND is too slow" and make custom FPGA boards which bundle tons of NAND chips for better parallelism.

They agree with "Developers wouldn't know how to properly use it." Because they're not letting developers address NAND directly. Plus, that press release basically summarized it to "swap to NAND instead of spinning platters."

And they know their target audience would benefit from overall higher IO transaction rates by taking advantage of the significantly larger amounts of DRAM compared to conventional controllers for caching, and would not mind giving up CPU and DRAM for it.

They're tailoring their system to a niche market.
A very lucrative niche market.

Would they do this on a consumer mobile? No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.