Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googleauthenticate.jpg
Google has pulled its Google Authenticator app from the App Store following an update that removes all stored accounts when installed.

The app is used with Google's two-factor authentication service to make logging in to Google accounts more secure.

TechCrunch reports that users who don't have a trusted computer will need to reset their all stored tokens on Google that allow other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts.
Updating the app removes all your existing accounts, with users complaining in reviews for the update that they've lost their Dropbox, Google Apps, DreamHost, Twilio, Evernote and other tokens after updating and have been forced to sync each over again. It could leave you locked out of your accounts entirely and forced to contact support for a reset, as Dashlane's co-founder Alexis Fogel tells us is happening with his service, and it's something that will also result in an awful lot of unnecessary busy work to set up things that have already been set up before.
The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices. MacRumors has heard from several iOS 7 beta testers who lost their account info on Google Authenticator because the update was downloaded automatically when it was released.

iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.

There is no word from Google on when the app will be updated and returned to the App Store. The update also includes a new design with a flat icon to match Apple's iOS 7 look-and-feel.

Google Authenticator is normally available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
This isn't an OS problem. It's a problem with developers not properly testing apps before they are distributed.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Slightly annoyed that as well as wiping all my accounts it also no longer shows with number it is generating is for which account!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
iOS 7 autoupdated the app for me. Whoops.

All I had to do was to go into Gmail and tell it to change to a different device for 2-factor and just reselected the device.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The text of this article is inaccurate. The Authenticator app has nothing to do with allowing "other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts", and it does not "store tokens on Google". It just needs to be re-synced with with any accounts that you use it for (e.g. Dropbox, Google etc.).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
More reason to use Authy or Duo Mobile.

My wish is for 1Password to add TOTP generator, freeing me from entering pesky TOTP code altogether.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Software updates: Ruining everything, every time, for everyone since 2001.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Not a problem for iOS7 users cause previous version of Authenticator already blew away all the entries :mad:

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
The text of this article is inaccurate. The Authenticator app has nothing to do with allowing "other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts", and it does not "store tokens on Google". It just needs to be re-synced with with any accounts that you use it for (e.g. Dropbox, Google etc.).
Depending on how you have to resync the phone, you may have all services previously connected to Google disconnected.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Depending on how you have to resync the phone, you may have all services previously connected to Google disconnected.
Again, it has nothing to do with services being "connected to Google". The app is an offline one-time-password generator (the codes are generated according to IETF standards). You don't even need a Google account to use it.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Software updates: Ruining everything, every time, for everyone since 2001.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Except for all the bugs and security issues that are fixed by updates...

Google should be reconsidering their delivery process here for this screwup.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.

I'd just like it if all auto-updates kept the old app in my phone's memory for 48 hours. Anytime within that limit I can select a "revert to last version" option in the settings.

I feel like these kind of problems usually get fixed in a day or 2 by the developer. Having that option would make me feel safe enough to use the auto-update feature.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Single, biggest reason I will not be enabling iOS 7 auto updates.

I really do wish 1Password would incorporate this though.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Big freakin' deal. :rolleyes:

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

People love to dramatize, I tell ya.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices.

Whoa, really? I've had plenty of times I've held off updating an app for one reason or another. This sucks.

----------

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

Sure. For your GOOGLE account yes. But you're aware Authenticator works for other accounts too, right? And that resetting their tokens as well can be an annoying, time-consuming task?

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC

Yes, but if you don't have a trusted computer, you'll need the code from the (now broken) authenticator app, meaning that you can't get into your account to re-scan the barcode! Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.
Google also gives you a set of backup codes that you should store somewhere safe in case you lose your ability to get new one-time passwords. Same for Dropbox and some other services.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
More reason to use Authy or Duo Mobile.

My wish is for 1Password to add TOTP generator, freeing me from entering pesky TOTP code altogether.
So either of those can just straight up replace Google Authenticator and getting the Facebook code through the Facebook app? If anything, it'd be worth having your sites set up in both apps for occasions like the one in this article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.