Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What resolution do you think the new iPad Mini will have?

• 1024x768 (non-retina)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 1536x1152 (retina)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 2048x1536 (retina+)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Changed to a poll...

The 1536x1152 may look strange, but that would give retina ppi for a mini. 1600x1200 is also a possibility for a tweener resolution.

2048x1536 is 326ppi, which is more than retina for a tablet

Last edited:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
this one and a half resolution of 1536x1152 makes no sense. the choice will be either to double the resolution to 2048x1536 or keep it at 1024x768, same as what happened to the iphone, ipod touch and ipad.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Doubling would be nice, but it would make the mini's screen better than the iPad 5. That would also be strange. The mini would have better pixel density than the full sized iPad. With a better screen, same resolution, lighter, smaller, cheaper, and all the same functionality, why bother with the full sized iPad?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
As far as I understand (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), iOS does not scale graphics to fit any resolution like Android does. iOS does have a simple scaling function, where it can scale up an iPhone app to an iPad screen, or it can show an app not optimized for retina on a retina display, but this isn't proper variable scaling the way other fragmented OSs do it.

Meaning, developers have to include in their iPad apps the graphics for 1024x768 (to support iPad, iPad2, and iPad Mini) and/or the graphics for 2048x1536 (to support iPad3, iPad4). Unless Apple wants to force develops to support a third resolution, they will probably stick with one of those two for the iPad Mini 2.

For comparison, currently iOS 6 supports 3 iphone resolutions (3.5", 3.5" retina, and 4" retina), but they are phasing out one of them in iOS7 (non-retina 3.5" devices are not supported any more). To me this indicates Apple's desire is to reduce the amount of resolutions developers have to support.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Doubling would be nice, but it would make the mini's screen better than the iPad 5. That would also be strange. The mini would have better pixel density than the full sized iPad. With a better screen, same resolution, lighter, smaller, cheaper, and all the same functionality, why bother with the full sized iPad?

Cus it's bigger. Same thing they did with the rMBP 13" and 15". The 15" has a lower ppi than the 13", because the screen is smaller, but they use similar resolutions (not the same though). It's not a big deal, and it doesn't really constitute one screen to be "better" than another. Your iPad mini retina, and iPad 5 retina will both look great. The iPad 5 might still be "better" because it has more screen real-estate, and likely, a faster gpu.

While I see your point about the resolution being slightly in favor of the iPad mini, it doesn't make sense for them to use any other configuration; as it would cause fragmentation of apps that would easily be avoided by using the same resolution that the iPad 4 (retina) uses right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.