Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Just wondering : how's the performance of the latest Beta of iOS7 on an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 ?

Definitely would like to upgrade my iPhone 4s from iOS6 to 7, not sure about the iPad 2. My wife and kids use the iPad 99% of the time and we will be buying a new iPad (either 5 or refurbished 4) somewhere around Christmas for my wife, passing the iPad 2 to the kids.

So very curious about performance on the 4S. Anyone ?
Just bought a mid 2013 Macbook Air and will be upgrading to Mavericks quite soon if all my software works so would really like to have iOS7 on my iphone. If the performance on the iPad 2 is good, might as well upgrade that as well.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Just wondering : how's the performance of the latest Beta of iOS7 on an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 ?

Definitely would like to upgrade my iPhone 4s from iOS6 to 7, not sure about the iPad 2. My wife and kids use the iPad 99% of the time and we will be buying a new iPad (either 5 or refurbished 4) somewhere around Christmas for my wife, passing the iPad 2 to the kids.

Just bought a mid 2013 Macbook Air and will be upgrading to Mavericks quite soon if all my software works so would really like to have iOS7 on my iphone. If the performance on the iPad 2 is good, might as well upgrade that as well.
4S does well.

All iPads from 2, 3, 4 are all pretty crappy.

Save yourself a ton of headache. Wait for GM, only next Tuesday. Less than a week, mere days to go. And even iPad performance should be ironed out.

pixelpicture

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Netherlands
Well, I run the latest beta on my 4 without any serious lag.

However, all eyecandy is disabled on the 4.

I think you're fine with the 4S once the GM without debugger and beta code in it is released.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I never crossed my mind to install a beta version. Was just curious (or should I say, worried) about performance, now that the GM is near...
You were asking about performance of the GM/Final version that no one has and expecting an answer?

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
You were asking about performance of the GM/Final version that no one has and expecting an answer?

totally fine question that i'm sure a lot of people have on their minds. It's not a "hey can someone predict how the GM will work". Its really "hey how are the betas coming along and from what you guys can tell are there any slowdowns. if slowdowns are they because its a resource hungry OS thats just not built for older hardware, or is it slow because its a beta and there are lots of bugs". and yes one CAN tell.

----------

No, I was curious about the performance of the LATEST BETA, seeing that the final release/GM is so close now...

some other people on these forums would much rather send a generic "its a beta" answer. not cool. so i'll answer your question.

I actually have exactly your hardware, a 4s and an ipad 2. Both have the latest ios 7 betas.

I know what you're asking is if the final version is expected to run fine on this older hardware. I think the answer is yes. my 4s is smooth as butter. no crashing. no slowdowns. i liked the older multitasking better because it was quicker, but really the newer once i think jsut feels slower because of the whole card system. I'm using the beta on my main iphone and i'm using it as my daily driver.

So for the 4s, my answer is without a doubt, yes the betas are running fine and based on this i can predict the GM will run nice and fast and smooth.

The ipad 2 generally is also fast. the issues I am having are bugs, not older hardware or a much more resource intensive OS. for example my ipad will restart sometimes. its not a nuisance because oddly enough its never when i'm using the ipad. i'll just randomly glance and see it restarting. but its a bug. not old hardware.

the 4 finger zoom in and out is also buggy. expected to be wrinkled out by the final version. apart from these issues, which i think are because of bugs and unoptimized code, my ipad 2 is running fine. so again i think once the GM comes out it should be fine to upgrade and i think the oS will run zippy on it.

ofcourse check back when the GM is out and see if there are any crippling issues. you never know.

My parents actually have the same hardware as mine. I'm looking forward to upgrading their software with the final version. If i expected the OS to run slow, i wouldn't even think of doing that but i'm confident it will work fine on both from how my experience has been so far.

hope this answers your question.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I have a 4S, and it's pretty good. The animations take some time, but that's across all iOS 7 devices, but there is no lag. Apps run about the same speed as it did with iOS 6. Everyone gets a different result with battery life, but weirdly for me, I'm getting BETTER battery life than I got with iOS 6. :)

However, iOS 7 on the iPad IS NOT READY. Tried it on iPad 2, Mini, and iPad 3. For some odd reason, the iPad 2 and 3 don't get the transparency effects, but the Mini does. However, across all devices, iOS 7 on iPad is still laggy, slow, and resprings a lot.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I'm using iOS 7 on my main 4S for more than a month. this is just great and there is not much lag. really smooth can't wait for final release.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
On my iPad 2, runs just fine from a speed standpoint and smoothness as well. The problem involves actual bug issues...certain apps don't work on my iPad but do work on my iPhone 5. Because of all the bug issues (and not really that many), I don't know if anyone can comment properly regarding an iPad until the GM release.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
iOS 7 on my iPad 3 is garbage so I would assume iPad 2 would be even worse.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

I recommend going with a new iPad 5, even if you have to go with a base model, or, if you have to wait, give your wife an iTunes gift card with a note that the iPad is coming soon to go with it, as it should have a bit of an upgraded processor and will handle future iOS's better (past iOS 7), considering, a couple/few features, such as panorama and filters will not work with camera on iPad 4 (or any iPad selling now), (this means there will be more limitations when iOS 8 comes out next year). ...Also, filters will not work with 4S, AirDrop will not work with 4S, iPad 2. iPad 2 won't do parallax.

I have iPhone 5 & iPad 1 (1st gen), so I can't comment specifically on your devices, but, iOS 7 beta does well on iPhone 5, (but, iPhone 5 has more than a little faster processor upgrade from 4S). iCloud is nice between my MacBook Pro w/Mtn Lion and iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, I can access the last open tabs in safari on my Mac from the iPhone's safari app. Reader list and bookmarks sync, easily accessible. ...just for starters. If you haven't already, you can sync your iCal calendar, contacts, notes, and such via icloud between Mac & 4S. But, from what I've read, 4S does alright w/iOS 7 beta, not sure if it does the new siri voices, but, if it does, they sound great, siri works faster (on my iPhone 5). If you use it, Maps has some nice improvements also.

Check this forum, (OSX>OS X Mavericks), for a list of apps that don't work with Mavericks (after it's released, not the list for Mavericks beta), but, if your apps all work, I hear it is improved over Mtn. Lion. I have Mtn Lion w/4GB, and recommend, if you don't already, get 8GB RAM, 4GB seems to be not enough for Mtn Lion.

As far as iPad 2 goes, I'd wait, ask after new iPads come out, and iOS 7 goes public, I've read mixed things about the beta on it. (iPads are behind on iOS 7, as they will come later than the iPhones).

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Frankly, I'd be appalled if the iPad 4 couldn't handle iOS7 with all the bells and whistles. I don't expect our iPad 2 to be a speed demon with it, though.

Anyway, we bought the iPad 2 refurbished, never had any problems with it. Still works like a champ on iOS6, and the reason we went refurbished is that we could get a 32gb version for less money than a new 16Gb.
I'll go the same way with the iPad 4. I'd buy a Mac refurbished as well, if it weren't for the fact that there are never any refurbished Macs for sale in the Belgian Apple store, only iPods and iPads...

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Frankly, I'd be appalled if the iPad 4 couldn't handle iOS7 with all the bells and whistles. I don't expect our iPad 2 to be a speed demon with it, though.
I don't know about that: This shows none of the current iPads have enough processing power to do panoramic photos or the in-camera filters. iPad 4 & mini will do AirDrop, as will iPhone 5, and current iPod touches on sale now. No other idevices will do AirDrop (except new ones TBA). AirDrop makes it super easy to share photos and such.
http://www.cultofmac.com/231632/the-ultimate-ios-7-compatibility-chart/

That may not be totally accurate, but, I still recommend getting the iPad 5 over a reconditioned 4. But, we will know more about the iPads & iOS 7 in about 3-4 weeks. iOS 7 will not be available for the iPads at the same time as iPhones, they'll release it with the new iPads due out next month.

The thing is, if you plan to keep the new iPad for a couple years or more, the iPad 4 may not do new features that come out for iOS 8.

Just because Apple says today's devices will handle 3 iOS's does not mean it will be able to use all of the future iOS features. i.e.: When iPhone 4S came out with Siri, iPhone 4 could use the new iOS 5, but was not able to do Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.