Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rojames30

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
has anyone having issues cleaning the new 2012 27" imac screen? i having issues removing finger prints and streaks from my new 27" imac. I have tried various cleaning solutions Iklear, monster clean. none of these solutions removed the streaks of my iMac screen. i also use a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I have found the supplied cloth works fine, but, how come so many have problems with fingerprints on the screen? It isn't a touch screen so no need to touch it or have I missed something?

rojames30

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
no, i don't touch my screen. the problem i have with mac. when i try to clean it with a cleaning solution such monster screen cleaner and a micro fiber cloth. i see streaks when the imac is turn off. it seems like everytime i try to clean it with the cloth the streaks reappear.

Kutuzov

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
has anyone having issues cleaning the new 2012 27" imac screen? i having issues removing finger prints and streaks from my new 27" imac. I have tried various cleaning solutions Iklear, monster clean. none of these solutions removed the streaks of my iMac screen. i also use a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen.

Here's a thread particularly relating to one of the cleaning solutions you mention and streaks: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518341/

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I mirror someone else's thoughts, why would there be fingerprints on the screen? Are you one of those people who feel the need to actually touch the screen when pointing to something? If so, super annoying! ;-)

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The streaks, which are only visible when the screen is off, are due to the anti-reflection coating. They have no effect on screen operation, so it's best to ignore them. CRTs with anti-reflective coatings show all kinds of patterning in reflected light.

Use only a clean damp microfibre cloth to remove fingerprints. Cleaning chemicals could damage the anti-reflective coating, as could aggressive rubbing.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
My Dad found these Cloths called "Magic Cloths" Found them at a flea market in Florida or some kind of infomercial All you do as get them wet and ring them out and wipe. They work great on regular glass have yet to try them on the iMac but worth a look.

Google them ! they are pretty cheap if I remember properly. Going to buy some when I go to Florida in February

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
i found that the first time you clean the screen it is pretty hard to get rid of the streaks. but after that you just buff it with an optical cloth!

Sounds silly i know but if you see any streaks after that. Just blow on it and buff!!

pontelad

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Buy the lens clean spray from Walmart
Very cheap and works brilliantly
I use this and a microfibre cloth.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Rarely do I touch the iMac with anything other than a microfiber cloth for removing dust.

If something more aggressive is required, a soft, clean, terry cotton towel is moistened with distilled water and the moisture trail is wiped off immediately with the dry portion of the towel.

The iMac is not a touchscreen system.

Who is plastering their fingers all over your screen?

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Rarely do I touch the iMac with anything other than a microfiber cloth for removing dust.

If something more aggressive is required, a soft, clean, terry cotton towel is moistened with distilled water and the moisture trail is wiped off immediately with the dry portion of the towel.

The iMac is not a touchscreen system.

Who is plastering their fingers all over your screen?

I agree! :)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I tried using various cleaners mentioned and I wonder if people are just suggesting stuff that they think will work without even trying it. All of them made streaks when you go to dry it off. the more you try and dry the more streaks you get. the only way ive managed to get rid of the streaks is to use special eye glasses cleaner. i spray using a generous amount then do one to two wipe pass. the idea isnt to get it all dry. it will just make streaks if you try. the idea is to make one to two passes then let the rest air dry. then there will be little to no streaking.

Calculator boy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I have dual 27 LED Cinema Displays and i find that using eye glass lense cleaners that come in those little sachets work the best. they remove the streaks and dry without any residue.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
You can avoid the streaks by buffing it (hard) with a *dry* microfiber cloth after you've used a cleaning solution.

A single pass with a solution, no matter how many times "residue free" shows on the packaging, will rarely do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.