Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Activision today released Call of Duty: Strike Team, its new combination first- and third-person shooter for iPhone and iPad. The game has a story campaign set in 2020, as well as a survival mode with leaderboards.

The most unique aspect of the $7 Strike Team's gameplay is the combination first- and third-person mode. The game starts as a top-down strategic shooter somewhat like Breach and Clear; but, at any time, gamers can take control of the soldiers and switch to first-person mode.

Gaming site Kotaku has a video of the first twelve minutes of gameplay, and Activision's launch video is below.

Call of Duty fans can take the action on-the-go with Call of Duty: Strike Team, available at launch exclusively for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Call of Duty: Strike Team is optimized for mobile and tablet glass mechanics, offering a choice of how to play: as players control a squad of up to four highly trained Strike Team members, each with customizable skills and loadouts, the in-game view can be seamlessly switched from classic first-person action, to a top-down, third-person perspective providing a full range of both action combat and tactical decision making.
The game requires iOS 6 and at least an iPhone 4S or iPad 2.

Call of Duty: Strike Team is available for $6.99 on iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Call of Duty: Strike Team Launches Exclusively on iOS

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
2 years later:

"Call of Duty: Modern Strike Team Advanced 20" Launches Exclusively on iOS with new guns and stuff.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Platform: iPad Mini

Size: 2.2gb

Review:
The first mission is the training mission, walking you thru all the controls, options, etc. Very intuitive.
The graphics are smooth, and if real life is 100 detail, then the game is about 50, so not bad.
I haven't played anything other than Halo 1 and Republic Commando in recent memory, never was into it much so I can't tell you about COD iOS compared to console / desktop versions but I feel that the $7 was worth it :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Platform: iPad Mini

Size: 2.2gb

Review:
The first mission is the training mission, walking you thru all the controls, options, etc. Very intuitive.
The graphics are smooth, and if real life is 100 detail, then the game is about 50, so not bad.
I haven't played anything other than Halo 1 and Republic Commando in recent memory, never was into it much so I can't tell you about COD iOS compared to console / desktop versions but I feel that the $7 was worth it :D

Haha halo 1 is 13 years old and republic commando ought to be at least 10 years old now ;)

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Dumbed down

A dumbed down version of Call of Duty. How much dumber can you get?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Since when has COD been "skill based gameplay".

Take any of those whining COD kiddies off a Xbox Live server and drop them into a game of CounterStrike and they rage quit in 5 mins.

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
It's good. Nowhere near as "dumbed down" as I thought it would be. Feels a lot like playing on the console versions.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Yet another failed attempt at FPS on a mobile device. When will developers learn that you need either a) a keyboard and mouse b) Joypad - to play FPS games effectively and overall to enjoy them with the fact that you are more immersed and involved when playing with peripherals.
Have you tried it? I played several FPS on iPad and naturally it isn't the same as playing on my Mac but still very enjoyable. This game seems pretty cool and the strategic view is a nice addiction!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yet another failed attempt at FPS on a mobile device. When will developers learn that you need either a) a keyboard and mouse b) Joypad - to play FPS games effectively and overall to enjoy them with the fact that you are more immersed and involved when playing with peripherals.

I disagree. While some FPS controls are horrible on iOS, some are quite good. I think the key for them to work better is to play at least on an iPad mini, if not a fullsize iPad. On a 3.5" or 4" screen, the layout of the controls makes your hands obscure a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the game screen.

Not fun.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.