Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced a newly redesigned version of its Google Drive app for iOS, which incorporates the company's card-style layout that has been used across many of its mobile apps like Google+.

The new look features thumbnails that display file content, but it also retains the traditional app layout. Users can toggle between the thumbnail view and the list view with the tap of a button.

googledrive.jpg
Google Drive now supports viewing and editing files in landscape mode and folders are grouped more intuitively. Google has also made it easier to copy and share links to files, and search is located more prominently to make finding files simpler.

Google Drive can be downloaded from the App Store for free and the update should be live later today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Drive for iOS Updated With Card-Style Layout, Quick File Sharing

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Interesting to see major apps carry over and keep their app design same across platforms. It used to be that you design your app to meet the design theme of the OS. No more. The Facebook app is a great example. It looks exactly the same on iOS, Android and Windows phone.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Am I the only one who still doesn't see this update? I saw 9to5mac post about this early this afternoon and it's been like 7 hours... nothing.

Running iOS 7b6 and Mavericks DP7

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Am I the only one who still doesn't see this update? I saw 9to5mac post about this early this afternoon and it's been like 7 hours... nothing.

Running iOS 7b6 and Mavericks DP7

Same. As the article stated, check back later today.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Will it wipe all data from Drive like the Authenticator app update?

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Update just hit for me. Everything looks much better now. Hopefully Chrome is next up on Google's list to revamp.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
I, too, am yet to see this update. The article says to check later but I read about this update on imore.com and still nothing...
I wish Google would update their Google Voice app but that's never going to happen due to Hangouts :/

EDIT: got the update this morning and a welcomed one if I may add.

Last edited:

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Interesting to see major apps carry over and keep their app design same across platforms. It used to be that you design your app to meet the design theme of the OS. No more. The Facebook app is a great example. It looks exactly the same on iOS, Android and Windows phone.

True. I wonder if we are seeing hardware/OS commoditization already. I am not sure this will end well for Apple since they will not allow their (few) services on other devices.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Meh. I just use Flickr. I can't see how anyone else can beat the storage offered.
The Flickr storage is really only a major feature if you actually need hundreds of GB's in the first place, and I think few do.

What Flickr would need is a file system driver for Windows and OS X to install a new "device", where folders are collections of sets if they have other folders within them, or sets if they are on the root level. Where filenames are photo names, and some XMP tags within the JPEG metadata can be used to set Flickr specific metadata such as tags, which can then of course be read and set by any native application with support for Flickr. The driver would report "no access" to the end user if trying to write something that could not be identified as a JPEG image or exceed maximum file size. Aperture, Lightroom, Preview, etc. wouldn't even need plugins for direct Flickr interchange (rather than explicit "sharing"), since the support would already be there natively from the driver.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
True. I wonder if we are seeing hardware/OS commoditization already. I am not sure this will end well for Apple since they will not allow their (few) services on other devices.

It depends on how the services are used. I don't bother with iCloud/iMessage
much since I need to share/communicate with arbitrary users (something similar goes for Google Drive versus Dropbox). I use GMail rather than
Apple's mail service because I can customise it better (the gmail app is awful though, as is the web interface).
I do use iTunes/AirPlay, however - it's for personal use and I don't care
about compatibility.

I don't really see Apple losing from commodisation - it makes Macs/iDevices more useful overall...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.