Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Red Menace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Now I have seen a lot of people talk about doing this but has anyone actually done it? I am going to send my Mac to a company that will put in a 80GB drive and send it back to me, voiding my HD warranty. However the new Hitachi drive has a three year warranty. Any last words, cautions, anything? BTW, my iBook only has the 30GB drive, thats why I am taking this step. :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
How much longer have you got on your Apple warrantee? You will be foregoing this for sure if you don't go to an Apple certified technician and even if you go to a specified Apple service centre, may still void the warrantee.

Nevertheless, I'd do it. In fact, I did it. I replaced my 30GB internal with an 80Gb one two years ago and haven't had any problems since. :p

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
The Red Menace said:
Now I have seen a lot of people talk about doing this but has anyone actually done it? I am going to send my Mac to a company that will put in a 80GB drive and send it back to me, voiding my HD warranty. However the new Hitachi drive has a three year warranty. Any last words, cautions, anything? BTW, my iBook only has the 30GB drive, thats why I am taking this step. :confused:

i had the same ibook as you...and WAS GOING TO DO THE SAME THING...but to a 100gb..but i sold the SAME EXACT ibook u have on ebay for $890, and saved up another $600 and just got the pb in my sig. (it was gonna cost me $280 to put the HD in) so i figured save up sme $$, and get a better machine....

Think about it...
and yes ur nuts, cuz u bought the apple care, just buy an external HD

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i replaced the 30gb drive in my ibook with an 80gb one (did it myself)...i recently got the logic board replaced on my ibook and they didn't mention the hard drive at all...in fact, they didn't even know i had opened the casing of my ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.