Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's media event still four days away and the launch of new iPhone hardware likely two weeks away, campers are already starting to line up at the company's flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan.

While early lineups are frequently done as promotional stunts rather than campers arriving simply as devoted fans, with some early campers at past launches even receiving sponsorships to promote brands while they wait, it seems that the bar is continually being raised with campers now arriving even before Apple has announced anything.

Two representatives from Cincinnati-based SellYourMac arrived on the scene today to begin what they hope will be a two-week campout, only to find that they were not the first people in line at the Fifth Avenue store, which generally serves as one of the most high-profile launch sites due to its iconic design and 24-hour operation. Two other campers claimed their spots at the front of the line last night, settling in for the long wait.

iphone_5s_fifth_avenue_launch_line.jpg
According to Sell Your Mac's Jon Murphy, the campers have yet to have any discussions with Apple's store staff about their plans, but the line is forming in its usual spot on the plaza outside the store's landmark glass cube.

Apple's media event is scheduled for next Tuesday, with rumors and speculation pointing to a launch of the iPhone 5S and 5C in the United States and other first-wave countries on Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Campers Already Setting Up for iPhone 5S/5C Launch at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
So these people are camping for a product that (technically) doesn't exist yet, have no idea what the (official) features are, and may or may not (probably may) launch 2 weeks from now? o_O

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Stupid people, haven't they got anything better to do. Are they going to camp there until 20 Sept?

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Some of us get called die hard fan boys for defending Apple against trolls who lack common sense. These guys take it to a whole new level.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Guys... this isn't 2007/8 anymore... you can order your iPhones online and have them on your doorstep on launch day now.

Unless, somehow, they launch on the day of the announcement, in which case your postal service would have to be amazing to get it to your doorstep same day!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Makes no sense. These people are either unemployed & on benefits (and are therefore having their iPhones payed for by us) or are using their vacation time to spend a fortnight outside a feckin' building?

Idiots.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
These lines just never fail to crack me up. I mean I like Apple but really?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Stunt. And it worked! To what end, I can't say though. I'll resist making personal attacks, but I'd avoid buying from a company that has to resort to such nonsense.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
It could be stupid but nobody is waiting in line for Samsung products... And they get crazy about that!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.