Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese mobile carriers China Telecom and China Unicom will reportedly begin taking pre-orders for Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone 5C next week, with deliveries being fulfilled the week after, according to a report from Reuters. The report follows the issuing of invitations for a September 11 Apple satellite launch event in Beijing, just hours after the company holds its main media event on September 10 at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

china_unicom_telecom-800x205.jpg
"There used to be a wait of a few months before Apple launches their latest products in China, but nowadays, China is too important a market for Apple and so it will be the first batch of markets to start selling the low and high-end iPhones next week," said a source at one of the telecom carriers, who declined to be identified as he was not authorized to speak to the media. [...]

Days after the launch in Beijing, both of Apple's current Chinese carriers will accept pre-orders. It will take about a week for them to deliver the new iPhones to their customers, the source said.
That timing supports circulating rumors and speculation about the new iPhones launching in the first wave of markets on Friday, September 20, roughly a week and a half after Apple's media event.

Currently, China Telecom and China Unicom are the only carriers in the country to carry the iPhone. China Mobile, the world's biggest carrier, does not currently carry the iPhone, but there have been reports that the carrier may be close to a deal with Apple for the iPhone. Rumors have indicated that a China Mobile iPhone launch could come slightly later than on the other Chinese carriers due to the need for regulatory approval of unique iPhone hardware compatible with China Mobile's network.

Article Link: China Unicom and China Telecom to Start Pre-Orders for iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Next Week

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Another good indication of a September 20 launch date.

If only Apple could do enough to convince me to fall for any of these "S" versions. I went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5 and see no reason to get a 5S.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
If things go well for apple in China , I'm guessing they would destroy last quarters earnings .. Good luck apple , make is proud :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

If only Apple could do enough to convince me to fall for any of these "S" versions. I went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5 and see no reason to get a 5S.

If the 5 works for you then you're saving some money. I have a 5 and am glad I don't need to think about a new phone this year, especially when I plan on upgrading my 3rd gen iPad later this fall.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002

You make it sound like Apple is trying to defraud people. Some people are on the "S" cycle. It works fine for me because I get better specs in a tested design.

claus1225

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
I was once in the Pasadena apple store. I saw a few chinese buying a dozen units of phone 4 at flat price.

they probably carry them back to china and sell them at premium.

this is how strong the demand is in china.

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013

Im the other way around.. Im a S person.. Well i did have iPhone 3g. But then 3GS and 4S and now maybe 5S or 5C.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I was once in the Pasadena apple store. I saw a few chinese buying a dozen units of phone 4 at flat price.

they probably carry them back to china and sell them at premium.

this is how strong the demand is in china.

With China opening up to Apple, do you guys think there that iPhones will be available in China on the 20th September and would that create limited supplies and shortages in Europe and the U.S or will Apple have ramped up production to cope with the demand from Asia.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Those two smaller carriers in China tried to lock in their customers as quickly as possible, before China Mobile gets its chance after the regulatory approval of the new phones for China Mobile's networks, which could take a couple of months.

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
the sexy S

here's an S-series guy, too.
I painfully held off two years since the iPhone was released in 1007 and until I felt the specs were right for me: jumped on the 3GS, then 4S and now … well, hoping to be blown away by the 5S. Otherwise I'll stick with my 4S. I've got no urgency to change...
For sure I'll be in for 2 Retina iPad Minis (one for my granny and one for myself) and an updated AppleTV. :eek:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
With China opening up to Apple, do you guys think there that iPhones will be available in China on the 20th September and would that create limited supplies and shortages in Europe and the U.S or will Apple have ramped up production to cope with the demand from Asia.

I think there are going to be serious supply issues if Apple tries to launch in US, Europe and China on the same day or within a few days of each other. Demand for these phones on launch day is probably an easy 10 million and I don't see how Apple could build up that type of supply ahead of time.

On the plus side, I wonder if this will dramatically decrease the Chinese scalpers lining up in New York City. Though to a certain extent it was fun and a little surreal to walk by a long line of elderly Chinese women holding their colorful sun umbrellas while they waited in line outside Apple's flagship store in midtown.

mcclint

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2004
Power Computing logo

Am I the only one who sees the China Telecom logo as the old Power Computing logo?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I painfully held off two years since the iPhone was released in 1007 and until I felt the specs were right for me: jumped on the 3GS, then 4S and now … well, hoping to be blown away by the 5S. Otherwise I'll stick with my 4S. I've got no urgency to change...
For sure I'll be in for 2 Retina iPad Minis (one for my granny and one for myself) and an updated AppleTV. :eek:

Don't forget the iOS7 upgrade that is coming. It might not run fantastic or be full featured on your 4S.

DogGone

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007

Same with me. The 3GS was the first phone that had the speed and features I wanted. Then upgrades 2 years later. I will decide on the 5S once the specs come out. This will be the first time I won't upgrade on the release day and will probably wait for a month or just hold off for another year. I guess it will depend on the responsive of my 4S after iOS7 upgrade.
New AppleTV will be great.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

The iPhone has been available in China for a couple years, this is not new news. Except the price point of the new phone may attract a new demographic.

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
You make it sound like Apple is trying to defraud people. Some people are on the "S" cycle. It works fine for me because I get better specs in a tested design.

I'm back on the S cycle.

iPhone 3GS -> iphone 4 -> Galaxy S4, since Apple has yet to come out with a compelling upgrade over the iPhone4. Colors? Really? How about a 1080p screen, IR blaster (universal remote FTW!), SD slot, quad core processor, 2GB RAM, decent task management, antenna terminals, user-upgradable battery, USB host (tethered DSLR FTW!!), etc? You're falling way, way behind the times, Apple.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008

I always find it interesting that people pay full price (well, sell their old phone to recoup costs) every year for the latest phone. I'm an S guy. For me, it's the model with the kinks worked out and bumped up enough to be close to "the latest and greatest" (though with Apple lately, that can be debatable). Also, I'm an S guy because when iPhone 4S came out, it was the first time I could afford a data plan, so there's that. But I'll be on the 2-year contract cycles and basically get a phone for free because I'm selling my 4S for $200. Though I might up my next purchase to 64GB instead of the base model (fingers crossed for 32GB base 5S).

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
It will be interesting to see how these new plans from the US carriers with no money down and upgrade every 6 months will affect the numbers too.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Not sure about it affecting supplys in the US...But it's for sure going to make for an interesting few hours when pre-orders go live. I'll be ready!

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010

Exactly. I went from a Motorola Razr to a 4S. Skipped the 5 and now ready for a 5S with fingerprint sensor.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010

depends on which cycle you're on... I've evolved to the 'tock' cycle (3gs, 4s, 5s)... you're on the 'tick' cycle (3g, 4, 5). I prefer '.1' releases of HW and software;-), you prefer higher risk [antennagate, app size issues, new formfactor adoption costs] for early evolution defining capabilities.

----------

Not sure about it affecting supplys in the US...But it's for sure going to make for an interesting few hours when pre-orders go live. I'll be ready!

We (White English Speaking [male] Anglo/Saxon/American) gotta get used to losing our front of the line privilege.

To Apple... Profit knows no border, timezone, language or denomination. And the coinciding release means that Apple feels they have the production/delivery capacity high enough to meet the initial demand to maximize profit, at the cost of dissapointing some past 'most favored nations'.

I typically wait a couple weeks, and walk into my store... this time I'm changing phone numbers, so it's likely needing a ATT/Verizon visit to execute cleanly, so even more so to avoid the bleeding edge of the sales knife

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I wonder whether the first round will include more countries than previous years.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
so you are telling me that people will PRE-ORDER that cheap plastic phone. there will be more than ever pre-orders for the original iphone (because of the classy new colors) but i dont expect many people to pre-order the 5C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.