Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtanojevic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
melbourne
has anyone thought that apple might unveil a new ipod classic at the next meeting where they might reinvent the ipod classic and make more than one memory option?:cool::apple::eek::confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
has anyone thought that apple might unveil a new ipod classic at the next meeting where they might reinvent the ipod classic and make more than one memory option?:cool::apple::eek::confused:
It's unknown when the iPods will next get updates and what the changes are likely to be.

Highly unlikely.

I think there's more chance of them dropping it. :(
If there is an iPod with 128GB (or larger) storage, then there is a chance they might drop the iPod Classic. However, one of the uses for the iPod classic is to be able to to take it into places where you can't take cameras or use radio signals. And for that reason, it may continue to exist.

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
If it's 128 GB SSD, than there's no chance it'll be $200. It'd be like $250–$300, I think.

Regardless of SSD, people aren't going to spend more for 32GB LESS.
I'd buy keeping at the current $249.
But you can't raise that price.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
My crystall ball....

shows a BIG no....And I am feeling a perturbance in the Force, maybe is highly anticipated iPad mini with Retina display....:D

:):apple:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
This is the year they totally eliminate the old style connector, lightning on all iPods and iPads.

So to me this means that the classic either goes completely or gets a refresh of some sort.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I hope they do update it, change HDD to SSD ,add lighting and a nice price tag and it will sell!

But there´s, sadly, a higher chance of it going away

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nope. As others have stated, it's just a matter of time before they discontinue it.

Possibly true, but it will be a very sad day (for me, at least) the day Apple decides to discontinue such an iconic (and useful) product. My classics have travelled the world with me, constant and stalwart companions.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Possibly true, but it will be a very sad day (for me, at least) the day Apple decides to discontinue such an iconic (and useful) product. My classics have travelled the world with me, constant and stalwart companions.

Totally agree, tough I haven´t updated mine since ipod video (5.5G). They day news come out about its discontinuation I will head out and buy 2. One for regular use and one to keep sealed.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
I'll buy only if its bigger than 160gb. So something like 240gb sounds good to me.

tomtanojevic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
melbourne
I hope they do update it, change HDD to SSD ,add lighting and a nice price tag and it will sell!

But there´s, sadly, a higher chance of it going away

this would be great if it had a lightning connection on it! it would be cool if tbhy made 1 the same as the first ipod but with a lightning port, color screen and 250gb hardrive!

vixducis

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Belgium
I can see one possibility how the classic can survive: audiophiles.

Personally, i have a very clear view of what the next 'classic' should be (for me): a sort of crossover of the current classic, touch and nano:

- take the design of the touch, add physical buttons for play/pause, next and previous, and put in a lower res screen to reduce costs.
- take the storage capacity of the current classic, but switch to ssd. (128 would be cool too)
- take the 'dumb' internals, interface of the nano to reduce costs.
- put in a high qualtiy wolfson dac, high end clean amp
- (and now im pushing things) make it play flac

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
There is still a market for this product, allegedly a niche one, but the fact the thing does not runs apps, do emails, etc is genius. Pure space for music and videos.

If they do update and do not go SSD, they should at least add a larger HDD and keep the price tag on the 199-250 range.

Imagine:

250GB Classic: 249.99
160 GB Classic: 199.99

Or just a 250GB Classic for 249.99 , they would sell

Wispy

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
iPod Classic like a legend with a classic design, I hope that Apple will continue this line of iPods.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
iPod Classic like a legend with a classic design, I hope that Apple will continue this line of iPods.

That´s our hope too, its the enigmatic click wheel and the white earpods that launched apple forward. They should not kill this design, if they do I hope they at least do a sale to get rid of stock, so that we can get it for cheap

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just published on Wired

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/goodbye-ipod-classic/?mbid=social11600014

The iPod classic is one of the best devices Apple has ever produced. I have owned 3 of them, and still love the last model.
That is a pure opinion article. It's not even based on any rumors. And there's guarantee anything will be said about iPods at the Sept 10th event. After all last year the iPod line was updated in October and not September when the iPhone update happened.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Re the classic, it is a wonderful design, and is the device (the so-called 'halo' effect) which steered me towards the Apple universe in the first place.

In any case, I love having a device that enables me to have my entire music collection with me at any one time. While I do have a Touch (64GB), even now, it does not get used anything like as much of as often as my classic.

Now, if, instead of gently consigning it to history, Apple were to contemplate adding a 128SSD drive to the classic, this scribe would beat a hasty path to the nearest Apple store to purchase it.

Nevertheless, cloud and other forms of online storage notwithstanding, I think there is still a market (small, but devoted) of music lovers who devoutly wish to be able to transport their entire music library with them, at all times; the classic - in whatever incarnation the device appears - addresses that need.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Just published on Wired

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/goodbye-ipod-classic/?mbid=social11600014

The iPod classic is one of the best devices Apple has ever produced. I have owned 3 of them, and still love the last model.

I read a nice article on NBC news site that basically says the same thing. They give high props to the Classic and say it was one of the best in that it was the easiest way to keep everything with you and did best what it was designed to do.

It mentioned that this may be the end of all iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.