Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I already made a post about this, but this time I would like a simple answer. I want a camera to replace my iPod Touch 5th. The iPT5's camera isn't that great at all, and I want to get a new one. I don't care if it's a digital camera, DSLR, or flip camera, but it must meet the following requirements:
-Under 500$
-1080p video recording at 24fps, 30fps, and/or 60fps
-Good in low-light conditions
-Auto & Manual focusing
-Better than my iPT5's camera
I'm not an expert in cameras, I use it for my Youtube tech channel, so if you have any suggestions or any warning, please tell me before insulting or criticizing me. Thanks for responding.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I already made a post about this, but this time I would like a simple answer. I want a camera to replace my iPod Touch 5th. The iPT5's camera isn't that great at all, and I want to get a new one. I don't care if it's a digital camera, DSLR, or flip camera, but it must meet the following requirements:
-Under 500$
-1080p video recording at 24fps, 30fps, and/or 60fps
-Good in low-light conditions
-Auto & Manual focusing
-Better than my iPT5's camera
I'm not an expert in cameras, I use it for my Youtube tech channel, so if you have any suggestions or any warning, please tell me before insulting or criticizing me. Thanks for responding.
Well good in low light is great and its a requirement on my list but if you are doing a tech channel I'm going to assume its in one area or a controlled area? If so you can do allot with lighting to help keep it looking professional. Not saying you should keep the iPhone or iPod or whatever for a camera just don't get too hung up. I'm a Canon fanboy so I suggest you look at them: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras the T3i has a flip out screen and does 1080p at 24fps, 25fps and 30fps. It also does 720p at 60fps and IMO the 720p @60fps upscales to 1080p nicely. The EOS M is also a nice compact solution, both are $100 above your budget but still consider it, especially if you decide to get into other photography stuff, its a great hobby.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Well good in low light is great and its a requirement on my list but if you are doing a tech channel I'm going to assume its in one area or a controlled area? If so you can do allot with lighting to help keep it looking professional. Not saying you should keep the iPhone or iPod or whatever for a camera just don't get too hung up. I'm a Canon fanboy so I suggest you look at them: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras the T3i has a flip out screen and does 1080p at 24fps, 25fps and 30fps. It also does 720p at 60fps and IMO the 720p @60fps upscales to 1080p nicely. The EOS M is also a nice compact solution, both are $100 above your budget but still consider it, especially if you decide to get into other photography stuff, its a great hobby.

So you suggest me the T3i or the EOS M right? What do you mean by "controlled area"? The reason I don't want to use my iPT5 is because even in good-light conditions it shows a lot of noise, which makes it horrible quality. I'll consider the T3i. Thanks for your suggestions.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So you suggest me the T3i or the EOS M right? What do you mean by "controlled area"? The reason I don't want to use my iPT5 is because even in good-light conditions it shows a lot of noise, which makes it horrible quality. I'll consider the T3i. Thanks for your suggestions.

He means a controlled lighting environment. So you are inside and you can set up proper (studio) lights and stuff, as opposed to being outside or on location.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
He means a controlled lighting environment. So you are inside and you can set up proper (studio) lights and stuff, as opposed to being outside or on location.

If I got it right, he meant if I wanted to have manual light adjustments. I don't care. If it's good in low-light conditions, then it's fine for me.

Also, I found a cheaper Canon camera, the Vixia HF R40. It seems nice for 400$, with 8GB internal storage, FHD 1080p recording at 60 and 30 fps. Do you think it's a good camera?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If I got it right, he meant if I wanted to have manual light adjustments. I don't care. If it's good in low-light conditions, then it's fine for me.

Also, I found a cheaper Canon camera, the Vixia HF R40. It seems nice for 400$, with 8GB internal storage, FHD 1080p recording at 60 and 30 fps. Do you think it's a good camera?

I'm more of a stills man. Most people seem to prefer Cannon over Nikon for video. I wouldn't worry about internal memory. Better off with a card slot, so you can shoot more and save copies. For video I would like more for 16 or 32 GB.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Get the Vixia unless you want to make "cinematic" content and invest in a system that will end up costing thousands more to accomplish basic tasks.

And of course no autofocus.

The dSLR craze is weird. The 70D has autofocus so that might be a reasonable option (at $1200), but if you want a video camera get a video camera.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Ok, so, thanks for your suggestions, I'll see about the Vixia HF R40. I'll consider this. If I get more money, I will get a T3i.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Ok, so, thanks for your suggestions, I'll see about the Vixia HF R40. I'll consider this. If I get more money, I will get a T3i.

They're very, very different. The Vixia should be a great automatic camera with good image quality and a wide zoom range, and it's small with good autofocus...

The t3i will have no autofocus, a fuzzier image, and will require full manual control (no autofocus), but it will produce a potentially more "cinematic" image, which is good for music videos, short films, ads, etc.

There's a bigger difference between the two than price. I'd choose the Vixia if you're more concerned with the content and the t3i if you're interested in getting into "filmmaking" or cinematography.

I had a t2i and a Canon Vixia hv30... both great cameras! Very different but both very good at what they do.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
They're very, very different. The Vixia should be a great automatic camera with good image quality and a wide zoom range, and it's small with good autofocus...

The t3i will have no autofocus, a fuzzier image, and will require full manual control (no autofocus), but it will produce a potentially more "cinematic" image, which is good for music videos, short films, ads, etc.

There's a bigger difference between the two than price. I'd choose the Vixia if you're more concerned with the content and the t3i if you're interested in getting into "filmmaking" or cinematography.

I had a t2i and a Canon Vixia hv30... both great cameras! Very different but both very good at what they do.

I understand. I am not in "filmmaking" or cinematography. I'm a standard tech reviewer on Youtube. I consider the Vixia, and when I get the money, I guess I'll but a t4i or t5i, or a 4K camera when 4K will be standard.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I just bought a Canon Vixia HF400. It is the same as the R40 but lacks some wifi and built-in memory. the "400" sells for $299 every day and $254 on sale. I paid $211 for an open box special. Best Buy always has a few these open box deals.

The video quality is VERY good if you use the camer within its limits. That means

1) Set it for MP4 format (not AVCHD) and 34 Mb/sec (this is 1080/60p)
2) put the camera on a tripod and lock it down
3) Add "tons" of quality lighting and be sure to use a reasonable highlight to shadow ratio

two good features abou tthis camera are 1) you can plug in an external microphone and 2) it has a powerfull OPTICAL image stabilizer for when you must hand hold the camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I understand. I am not in "filmmaking" or cinematography. I'm a standard tech reviewer on Youtube. I consider the Vixia, and when I get the money, I guess I'll but a t4i or t5i, or a 4K camera when 4K will be standard.

No one seeing your work will know you are shooting a $300 camcorder. Given enough light there is not visible noise in the image.

Here is a review video my daughter (She uses a pseudonym) made with my $211 Canon Vixia HF400. No I did NOT help at all, The mic she used is just "ok". It's a camera mounted AudioTechnica shotgun type. Now, I'm using a Tram TR-50 for on-camera work and a Rode NT1-a for voice overs. The camera is running is fully automatic mode. Actually Youtube is a bad way to demo a camera, it is MUCH more compressed than if you see the original video. But that is my point, Youtube viewers can't see this so the cheap $211 camera works fine.

She did OK for her first self-produced and edited video.
http://youtu.be/Z86mdrDKI_w

Here is a better example of the Vixia HF400. All of this video has done with the HF400 including the "special effects" at the beginning. The sound is better too, I think if you can hear it with the music over. She used my Tram TR-50 mic this time. I had NOTHING to do with this other then loaning out the gear.
http://youtu.be/UEAETQa2h_U

Last edited:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
No lol 4K is way overkill, 4K is way out of your league...its way out of most peoples league and again its overkill. Any video camera with basic adjustment will do. The Canon Vixia's will do great. T3i if you want to get your feet wet in photography too but it seams you just want video for now which is fine.

Good in low light is nice but that usually brings a higher price tag...also low light brings noise which looks bad...if your in a controlled setting like a desk working on something or in one spot you should be using some type of light, if you care enough to buy a new camera you should care about proper lighting...it doesn't mean you need "studio lights" or whatever but simply opening up the blinds, move something to prevent glare from outside light and turning on a light can do wonders for a video. The Vixia HF R40 seams like an excellent choice for you, if you have any further questions don't be afraid to ask! That's what we are here for and what we enjoy doing. Also when/if you get a new camera we can help you out....the advantage to using online forums is huge!

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I just bought a Canon Vixia HF400. It is the same as the R40 but lacks some wifi and built-in memory. the "400" sells for $299 every day and $254 on sale. I paid $211 for an open box special. Best Buy always has a few these open box deals.

The video quality is VERY good if you use the camer within its limits. That means

1) Set it for MP4 format (not AVCHD) and 34 Mb/sec (this is 1080/60p)
2) put the camera on a tripod and lock it down
3) Add "tons" of quality lighting and be sure to use a reasonable highlight to shadow ratio

two good features abou tthis camera are 1) you can plug in an external microphone and 2) it has a powerfull OPTICAL image stabilizer for when you must hand hold the camera.

I found a Vixia HF R400 on Best Buy for 270$ plus a case and a 4GB SD card included. Good price? Link here.
I guess I'll do what you said. But my only question, will the 60p feature will work fine in iMovie?

No lol 4K is way overkill, 4K is way out of your league...its way out of most peoples league and again its overkill. Any video camera with basic adjustment will do. The Canon Vixia's will do great. T3i if you want to get your feet wet in photography too but it seams you just want video for now which is fine.

I said I will probably go to 4K when it becomes standard. I won't get a 4K camera until Youtube will officially support 4K and until I get a faster Internet because my Internet sucks. For me 1080p is just fine (right now).

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
That model has a small sensor (1/4.85") and probably not the fastest lens. As you step up the low light quality improves dramatically for not too much more money. The M50/M52/M500 have 1/3" sensors, which will capture more light, and the lenses are faster on the long end.

4k video will be the standard just as soon as 3D is. Joking aside, don't hold your breath. :)

60p might not be as useful as it sounds; after all, TV broadcasts are 1080/24psf and 1080/30i (and 720/60p) at best. I don't think youtube supports 60p video by default, and 24p looks great and is better in low light. That said, 60p is cool for slow motion in 24p videos.

Last edited:

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
That model has a small sensor (1/4.85") and probably not the fastest lens. As you step up the low light quality improves dramatically for not too much more money. The M50/M52/M500 have 1/3" sensors, which will capture more light, and the lenses are faster on the long, end.

4k video will be the standard just as soon as 3D is. Joking aside, don't hold your breath. :)

60p might not be as useful as it sounds. I don't think youtube supports 60p video by default, and 24p looks great and is better in low light.

OK, thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.