Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BlackBerry Messenger for the iPhone was submitted to the App Store two weeks ago, which means the launch could be coming at any time pending approval from Apple. The news was announced this afternoon by BlackBerry Social Media Manager Alex Kinsella.

BBM, which functions similarly to Apple's iMessage, was one of the first proprietary mobile messaging services and remains popular to this day with more than 60 million active monthly users.

bbm_android.jpg
BlackBerry first announced the iOS version of BBM in May, and sent out beta invites to the service in early August.

Two weeks ago, BlackBerry posted a user guide for the app, detailing the how the service works, its available features, and how to create an account. The app was expected to be launched shortly after the guide was posted, but it appears that it is still under review.

It is not clear why BlackBerry Messenger is still stuck in the review process after two weeks, as Apple typically finishes app reviews within five business days.

BlackBerry will have a lot of competition in the messaging space on iOS. In addition to iMessage, there are a number of other third-party messaging services that have soared in popularity over the last couple of months, including LINE, Whatsapp and WeChat.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger for iOS Likely Coming Soon, App Submitted Two Weeks Ago

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Why all the negativity it's another app means of communication is it not I message great when it works but not everyone has an iOS device or mac

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Sure, they submitted the App a few weeks ago. Where are the rumors coming that it is being held in review? BlackBerry could be using the tools to hold the release of the app until they want to have it out?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Why all the negativity it's another app means of communication is it not I message great when it works but not everyone has an iOS device or mac

Because we need another mobile messaging app like we need a hole in the head?

whatsapp
hangouts
facebook messenger
imessage
good ol sms
and a billion other ones that are less known and now bbm?

What we really need is a multiplatform messaging app with sms integration on both mobile devices and can be web based as well. Pipe dream I know but if that ever happens that will be the app that rules them all! Untill then I think hangouts and fb messenger are the best options since they are multiplatform and also web based options. Problem for ios users is you can't change the notification sound so its easy to miss message notifications for those two services because the default sound is short and low volume.

So for the most part I use sms for single person messages and whatsapp for group messages.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Maybe in a new back to the future movie where they go back to 2004.

At least 50% of the kids who go to my college (aged between 16 & 21) STILL have Blackberr(ies?). Only now have they woken up & started to delve in to iPhones & Android phones.

I'm based in the UK as well, which is a very different place market-share wise to the US. Pre-paid is very popular, and Curves are selling like hotcakes with a price of £100 off the shelf.

There's still a market for them. Albeit a dwindling one.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Don't you have to, you know, know someone with a BlackBerry to use this?

----------

Maybe in a new back to the future movie where they go back to 2004.

You mean use these as props for movies based in the early 2000s? Good use for these btw.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The levels of pretentiousness in this thread are farking ridiculous...

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Seriously. I really wish people would give BB10 a fair shot; it's got some amazing potential to compete with the big players.

Agreed. The Z10 is also the first and only smartphone to receive certification from DISA, meeting all next-gen security criteria, which means that civil service proliferation is very likely.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Don't you have to, you know, know someone with a BlackBerry to use this?

----------

You mean use these as props for movies based in the early 2000s? Good use for these btw.

Not really mate, they want to take on whatsapp wich is now subscription based for new users plus bbm on iOS and Android will make possible for people that use Blackberrys with only "Social" data plan (only use bbm and email with no full data plan) to communicate with Android and iOS at no cost.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
At least 50% of the kids who go to my college (aged between 16 & 21) STILL have Blackberr(ies?). Only now have they woken up & started to delve in to iPhones & Android phones.

I'm based in the UK as well, which is a very different place market-share wise to the US. Pre-paid is very popular, and Curves are selling like hotcakes with a price of £100 off the shelf.

There's still a market for them. Albeit a dwindling one.

This is true. Outside the U.S blackberries are quite popular. But take a look at a college in the U.S and you won't find a single one on campus mostly plagued by iphones and most recently galaxy s4s.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Seriously. I really wish people would give BB10 a fair shot; it's got some amazing potential to compete with the big players.

BB10 is decent. Just BBM has lost so much steam not becoming multi platform years ago when it would have been a lot more relevant.

It's just kind of redundant with all the messaging apps that now exist.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
I'm actually excited about this. Three or four of my colleagues sport Blackberry 10 series. This will give me more flexible communication options without trying to convince others to download a third party app. Unlike my Android friends who I have to explain how to use "What's App". As for all my friends using Windows Phone 8... Screw Him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.