Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Is it safe to buy it now knowing that there's a full year left until the next iteration?

Some developers have completely ignored the A4 processor for their newest games, and I'm seriously considering updating as long as it can be worthwhile.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Is it safe to buy it now knowing that there's a full year left until the next iteration?

Some developers have completely ignored the A4 processor for their newest games, and I'm seriously considering updating as long as it can be worthwhile.

What is preventing it from being safe?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple will release new iPod touch sometime after iPhone's release. Perhaps end of year or early next year will be the new iPod touch.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think apple has moved all their product release to Sep - Oct now so you dont expect anything new from Jan to Aug 2014.

New Iphone/ipad should be Sep 10th. Maybe another even in Oct for new Ipod???, Ipod touch, nano, shuffle maybe. I dont think an upgrade to Ipod touch is necessary afterall it is competitionless. A 128gb version might be added but at 499, i wouldn't buy it. Price is more expensive than a notebook.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

You will always find people posting that the next update is just around the corner no matter what time of year it is. Apple is the only one who knows for sure when they are releasing an update. We are close enough to October where I would probably wait to see if anything is coming out. I would then get one then even if it's the current 5th gen (I highly recommend it).

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I agree with Plutonius.

My Bottomline: Wait to buy from now until October 31. If there is a new iteration, it will be announced before October's end. If annouced in October, release will be November. If no annoucement before October's end, then buy current 5th generation.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Apple is likely to announce iPod updates with eitehr the iPhone updates or iPad updates. However, waiting until the end of October is probably a good suggestion if you hear nothing about iPod updates before then.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I have a feeling a 6th gen will be announced alongside the iPhone 5C, and iPhone 5S, Because iOS 7 for the iPod touch and iPhone won't be delayed like the iPad version. This would allow for Apple to announce these first, and release them sooner. The iPod touch for this year could see the following:

~ Apple A6 or A7
~ Dual LED Flash
~ "Mogul" Mode from iPhone 5S
~ Ambient Light Sensor Return
~ 1GB RAM - 1.5GB RAM
~ 128GB capacity, to match with the iPhone 5S

This could be the "premium" model 6th gen, with a low end that releases later.

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
If they will release the A7 on the next iPhone I think its almost certain the will update the iTouch with the A6 chip. God if that's true I'll update right away.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
This could be the "premium" model 6th gen, with a low end that releases later.

If there is anything at all, I'd expect just that premium model, call it the iPod Touch 5S, with 128GB storage and 1GB RAM.

Other things like ambient light sensor and dual LED flash would require some retooling of the case, and we would have seen that by now.

128GB might tempt me away from my Classic.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
If there is anything at all, I'd expect just that premium model, call it the iPod Touch 5S, with 128GB storage and 1GB RAM.

Other things like ambient light sensor and dual LED flash would require some retooling of the case, and we would have seen that by now.

We have a new flex cable.... -_-

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY

With Apples support of gaming controllers for its devices, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made a high-end iTouch "5S" for advanced mobile gaming, seeing how mobile games makes more money than traditional consoles now.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
I have read no major rumors about the next iPT and it has been around a year since the present one was released. The iPT4 had a two year cycle, perhaps that is the plan for the iPT5.

While I'm at it, in the Buyer's Guide on this site, why do they have iPT5 labeled as "Just Updated"? That really gets on my nerves. They don't do that with other devices when there is a minor change in mid cycle. :mad: I have complained about this before but nobody cares. :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have read no major rumors about the next iPT and it has been around a year since the present one was released. The iPT4 had a two year cycle, perhaps that is the plan for the iPT5.
Who know. I bet the iPod touch rumors are buried by the iPhone rumors, especially since they share parts.

While I'm at it, in the Buyer's Guide on this site, why do they have iPT5 labeled as "Just Updated"? That really gets on my nerves. They don't do that with other devices when there is a minor change in mid cycle. :mad: I have complained about this before but nobody cares. :D
Actually, I've seen it happen for other things as well, not just the iPod touch. And the proper forum to talk about this would be Site and Forum FeedbackAnd it's probably a good discussion to start.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Who know. I bet the iPod touch rumors are buried by the iPhone rumors, especially since they share parts.

Actually, I've seen it happen for other things as well, not just the iPod touch. And the proper forum to talk about this would be Site and Forum FeedbackAnd it's probably a good discussion to start.

Thanks for the advice!

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I think they will release a new iPod Touch next year. I seem that they release a new one every two years. I does not matter as the iPT5 I have is great and way better than that turd iPT4 that I replaced it with.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

iPod touch was updated a few months ago (a cheaper, no camera, 16 gb version), that's why it says "just updated".

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Now that they didn't update the iPod Touch, I'm really starting to think the iPod Touch line is to extend the revenue from developing the iPhone by reusing old tech. Apple's lack of interest in adding functionality to this device makes me think this way. I think they'll just update it every 2 years now, since iPhone 5S tech isn't new.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Downgraded isn't upgraded. Sorry.

Hence it's way it was called an update. No?

update

verb
1. bring up to date, improve, correct, renew, revise, upgrade, amend, overhaul, streamline, modernize, rebrand an updated edition of the book

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Hence it's way it was called an update. No?

update

verb
1. bring up to date, improve, correct, renew, revise, upgrade, amend, overhaul, streamline, modernize, rebrand an updated edition of the book

OK. If you think to UPGRADE means to take away functionality. Fine. You win.

I don't give a F.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
OK. If you think to UPGRADE means to take away functionality. Fine. You win.

I don't give a F.

Yes, I am aware and know the meaning and definition of the word 'upgrade,' but the point here is, the iPod touch 5G, 16 GB (30th May 2013) was updated not upgraded and updated means some functionality could be taken away, added or be improved.

Why so bitter and vulgar? Jeez, I don't get some people.

It's not downgraded, they are allowing you to buy a 5th gen with no camera for the same price as the 16 4th gen was, (The camera didn't matter on that one it was so bad)

He doesn't give a F, so don't bother explaining anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.