Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
For about the last month, sometime when I click on a thread in the front page sidebar then later hit the back arrow I end up on the site I was on before Macrumors rather than the front page. If I click the forward arrow I end up back on the thread.

I am using an iPad 3 running 5.1.

It doesnt happen every time i visit just often enough to be frustrating

Any suggestions or fixes?

Thanks - Greg

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For about the last month, sometime when I click on a thread in the front page sidebar then later hit the back arrow I end up on the site I was on before Macrumors rather than the front page. If I click the forward arrow I end up back on the thread.

I am using an iPad 3 running 5.1.

It doesnt happen every time i visit just often enough to be frustrating

Any suggestions or fixes?

Thanks - Greg

Don't use the back/forward buttons. Its better to use the forum hierarchy and URL's found on the site, such as the links these arrows are pointing towards.

I think its the way PHP works is why you have the results that you do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 9.10.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 9.10.19 AM.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 87

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Don't use the back/forward buttons. Its better to use the forum hierarchy and URL's found on the site, such as the links these arrows are pointing towards.

I think its the way PHP works is why you have the results that you do.

Should web sites be breaking the back button? It used to work perfectly on this site.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Should web sites be breaking the back button? It used to work perfectly on this site.

It's not 'breaking' anything per se. Its the architecture of PHP and knowing how to use it. The forward/back buttons in a browser work well for static pages that don't need to track a users actions.

Here, tracking what you're doing helps the forum let you know where you've been, mark threads and forums read and showing others as unread. Its a means of navigation. You rely on the MacRumors forum for navigation, not the browser.

I'm sure someone more technical than I can explain this better, but MacRumors has been set up like for a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.