Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamcp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
New York
My wife and I are ready for upgrades for our launch day iPhone 4S models. Mine is a 32 gig model (work paid!), hers is an Apple store (just replaced with new last month) 16 gig model.

When the 5S comes out, we'll upgrade. Thinking about our two tween boys. Pretty responsible for their age. Initially, I thought we'd pass our iPhones down to them after getting Otterbox Defender cases for them. Now I am wondering whether we should trade in the 4S phones (when we get the 5S) and then get 5C iPhones (Otterbox?) for the boys. I feel a little crazy for even thinking about getting iPhones for kids, but we'll have these phones just sitting here otherwise and middle school is when kids get phones in our neighborhood.

I know we'd be under contract with the 5C phones. And although the boys are responsible overall, I work with teens, so I have seen more than my fair share of cracked screens on iPhones. Makes me worry about a 2year contract. At the same time, my wife's phone was just replaced for speaker issues last month, so I know the phones do not last forever. Also, my 4S is a 32 gig model vs what I expect would be 16 gig models for the 5C. You can see, I go back and forth.

Any opinions on what would be the best plan of action for the iPhones for my tween boys?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Wait until the device is announces. Make an informed decision based on facts, not rumors. The 5C may not happen this event and may be for next year (although unlikely).

Still wait until the 10th comes and goes.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I have Tweens.

I've paid for the 4 and 4S. When my wife and I upgrade they are getting the hand me downs. A far better lesson in economics to get the used phones than spring for new phones. Kids don't deserve/need new. You can also unlock the old phones assuming you've completed contract and shop around for a more cost-effective carrier/plan.

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Tweens

My daughter has has an Iphone since she was 13 now 16. Only one phone drop and glass crack, replaced by apple for $250.00. No better than the wife losing her new phone after a week.
Amazing to watch her use it as a tool for learning, direction, etc. when she was 13. Kids today are like 20 yo of the days past. give them a tool and they will excel with it.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
We are going to go for a 5C for my daughter's first phone. It will replace her iPod touch. The bigger screen will be nice.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
The glass in the 4/4S is certainly more susceptible to damage but if you put them in an Otterbox I'd say they would be fine. It would save you money and keep you from being locked into another contract.

If you do get them 5C's Apple Care+ would cover two replacements over the two year contract as well.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wait until the device is announces. Make an informed decision based on facts, not rumors. The 5C may not happen this event and may be for next year (although unlikely).

Still wait until the 10th comes and goes.

Agreed, wait until you have all the facts before deciding.

adamcp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
New York
Thanks much

I appreciate hearing that other people have had success with their iPhone and their tweens. I am leaning towards the poster who was thoughtful about the lesson in economics that my tweens might learn regarding the re-use of the iPhone 4S, but we will wait until Tuesday. And either way, an Otterbox is gonna happen. Many thanks to those who posted their thoughts.

(And to those of you who said to "wait until Tuesday": Duh, of course, I am waiting until Tuesday. We're all here because it is interesting to speculate. And I think I got some things to think about from those people who were kind enough to post their opinion, even though we do not know the facts of the matter yet. Telling me to wait till Tuesday, was a waste of keystrokes. Again, thanks to those who DID share an opinion.)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
This was awhile ago, before Sprint had iPhones…

but when my son was that age, (yes, I know lots of people on here think I'm young, but I'm not! LOL) his first smartphone was my hand-me-down. Once he proved he could be responsible, then he got a brand new one of his own.

Now, since he's almost 19 and working, he's actually planning to chip in for his new iPhone this year. :)

adamcp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
New York
This was awhile ago, before Sprint had iPhones…

but when my son was that age, (yes, I know lots of people on here think I'm young, but I'm not! LOL) his first smartphone was my hand-me-down. Once he proved he could be responsible, then he got a brand new one of his own.

Now, since he's almost 19 and working, he's actually planning to chip in for his new iPhone this year. :)

Nice incentive program! :)

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Like others said, wait to see what will be the specs of the 5C and then decide, the 5C will be really nice for the kinds with these colors :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.