Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
except the touch and the air. I don't need any of those two so erm I guess I shouldnt buy anything else? :confused:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
except the touch and the air. I don't need any of those two so erm I guess I shouldnt buy anything else? :confused:

Super Secret MacRumors Information....

You can buy whatever you like even if the Buyers Guide says not to buy.

Please don't let this secret information out...just between you and me! :cool:

;) :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Check this out from our Editor in Chief back in May 2012 for an idea of how the Guide works:

The Buyer's Guide recommendations do not take into account rumors in any way. They are strictly a mathematical computation based on past releases. Those interested in rumors are welcome to click through to the recent rumors stories, which are included right next to the buyer's guide info.

They're two separate ways of looking at things, and you'll get the best picture by paying attention to both sides...rumors and history.

The Mac mini currently stands at 306 days since the last update, compared to an average of 356 days. That means we're 86% of the way to the average update interval, and that qualifies for "don't buy" status by our algorithm.

The MacBook Pro is 210 days into this cycle against an average of 267 days. So we're only 79% of the way to the average update interval. It should pass into "Don't Buy" status within the next few days.

There is definitely something funny with the MacBook Air, which is at 95% of its update interval but not yet showing as "don't buy". We'll look into that one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Please don't let this secret information out...just between you and me!
I heard that! :D
It's a guide, not a mandate. I buy what I want or need, when I want or need it. It's usually futile to chase the next update, as anything you buy will be replaced by a newer model fairly soon, no matter when you buy. Obsolescence is inevitable.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I was going to start my own thread, but saw this, so....

Buyer's Guide is a bit off. You are basically telling people not to buy anything.

iMac should be yellow.

iPad mini should be yellow.

MacBook Pro retina models should be yellow.

iPod touch yellow.

Displays should be yellow or green.

iPod Classic should be green...they are likely to drop it by end of this year. It is highly doubtful there will be an update, so it should not be red, it doesn't make sense to be red, for any reason, unless because you think it's outdated??.

Is Apple really capable of updating everything before the end of this year? I think not. Some things will not change until next year.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013

You can buy whatever you like even if the Buyers Guide says not to buy.

Please don't let this secret information out...just between you and me! :cool:

;) :D

Ya I know but its a bit worrying right? I mean how would you feel if you just spent over $1k on something and then 5 weeks later something newer is announced. Its just upsetting, $1k is a lot of money to spend on something thats out of date in weeks.

Maybe the buyer's guide needs some kind of an over haul. However going by statistics I would just trust it and not buy to be honest.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Personally, I don't think the mathematical side of the Buyer's Guide is ever that accurate - e.g. it doesn't take into account new trends of release cycles etc. Of course it would be hard to do that, so you should also always look at the rumours next to it.

Personally, I'd still buy the Apple TV, Display, and all the iPods. I think the iPods may be on a two-year release schedule now, so I don't think we'll see any major updates until next year.

Feel free to quote this post when all of the above are updated next week :p

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I heard that! :D

It's a guide, not a mandate. I buy what I want or need, when I want or need it. It's usually futile to chase the next update, as anything you buy will be replaced by a newer model fairly soon, no matter when you buy. Obsolescence is inevitable.

In fact it seems like the Apple upgrade cycle is two months after you buy something new.

While it would seem that with with the 4th gen Intel processors out and other changes (new wifi standards, etc) that a refresh would be reasonable to expect, there's no way to be sure when it will actually arrive. Sometimes Apple makes you wait a long time for stuff everyone else has. And then you pay more for it.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011

Buyer's Guide is a bit off. You are basically telling people not to buy anything.

iMac should be yellow.

iPod touch yellow.

iPod Classic should be green...they are likely to drop it by end of this year. It is highly doubtful there will be an update, so it should not be red, it doesn't make sense to be red, for any reason, unless because you think it's outdated??.

Is Apple really capable of updating everything before the end of this year? I think not. Some things will not change until next year.

This month and next should be busy with announcements...MBP and iMac are overdue for Haswell at the very least.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
In fact it seems like the Apple upgrade cycle is two months after you buy something new. ...

Maybe that's just your own luck or bad timing.

I got the iPhone 5 a year ago, they are only now coming out with a new model. And it was, what, 16 months for iPhone 4 to 4S?

I know, the computers have different cycles, but, there really isn't a constant pattern. There are many factors for this.

let me add:

• Apple TV should be green or yellow.

Buyer's guide needs an overhaul, someone needs to give it monthly updates according to cycles/rumors/production leaks, etc. Instead of going by past patterns. We all know Apple does not always follow past patterns, and technology's pace isn't what it was 10-20 years ago, so, this needs updating.

It's just stupid to tell people not to buy anything, when some of these "red lights" won't be updated for 3-6 months or more.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK

Just in case I would steer clear of displays... They should be getting thinner in the very near future... There is no cycle in process however they are highly anticipated! :)

Agree with everything else

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I had a G3 desktop, beige, lol

eventually got the G5 tower, no AppleCare, boy did I regret that, after 2 years, hardware issues...get a pro mac? get AppleCare!

My MacBook Pro has been solid, though.

Actually, the G3 ran fine for about five years. The annoying thing was that the G4 tower came out three months after the G3. On the other hand, the tower was CPU-upgradeable. Eventually I put a G4 in it. Try that now.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

iMac should be yellow.

iPod touch yellow.

Most of our labels seem correct to me...while the Buyer's Guide predictions are based on calculations on past update intervals, they pretty much line up with circulating rumors.

Yes, we're expecting new iPad, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and of course Mac Pro models before the end of the year...probably before Thanksgiving and the start of the holiday shopping season. New display(s) may come alongside the Mac Pro as well, and it's definitely due for an update, although we've heard no specific rumors.

So yes, I'd definitely recommend nobody buy any of those at this point unless they really need one or don't care about having the latest.

iPod touch is a bit of a wild card...my feeling is that the iPods won't be seeing much of an update, if anything, this fall.

The Buyer's Guide is intended to be just one piece of the puzzle, providing at-a-glance info based on data rather than rumors. But we prominently link to topical rumors for the products to help people get a sense of that side of things. And with our new roundups we're rolling out, following the status of rumors will be even easier.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Ya I know but its a bit worrying right? I mean how would you feel if you just spent over $1k on something and then 5 weeks later something newer is announced. Its just upsetting, $1k is a lot of money to spend on something thats out of date in weeks.

Maybe the buyer's guide needs some kind of an over haul. However going by statistics I would just trust it and not buy to be honest.

Just because there is a newer version of something out doesn't mean that whatever was released just before it is out of date. It just means that it's not the absolute newest thing out.

Isn't there a 14 or 30 day return period on products as well? I'm not sure, i've never returned anything for this reason..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.