Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Clearly you didn't
I did read that post but I also read your first one. It's not because you fixed what you said that it doesn't make a difference to state something completely false earlier. Stop trying.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I did read that post but I also read your first one. It's not because you fixed what you said that it doesn't make a difference to state something completely false earlier. Stop trying.

If i fixed what i said there'd be an edit annotation on the post. You clearly have subpar reading comprehension and i'm bored now so...as you were.

Can you two please go with the Android/Non-Android war to the appropriate subforum!?

Thanks!

;)

Won't be necessary.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
So what exactly would the qualification be to finally move to OS11 other than marketing?

I keep reading people saying there is going to be a OS 11. Why not OS X.10 there is no support that they will move up to OS 11, or support that they will stay with Mac OS X. :/

Hugh

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
The point was that not everybody needs the latest software, to have a satisfactory computing experience. If you don't need cloud computing, even though it's three generations old, SL is a rock-stable and great OS, that still receives security updates.

Your analogy makes it sound like everyone not about to go from ML to Mavericks, is a luddite.

Well my point is that there ARE people who indeed still use horse-back for transportation (and probable aslo happy), they are however not a real representation of what an average person would want. Neither do they know what modern transportation is like.

I think people still on Tiger are just missing out a great computer experience by staying on old OS. If it works for you........

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
That doesn't mean Apple will include supported drivers for those computers

The main, single-most, massive problem with these upgrades is not in the OSX, but in the apps from other developers. It's relatively easy for me to upgrade the OSX, but a headache to ensure all the apps that are critical for my business play nicely with the new version of OSX.

My preference is to wait a year. By then, Mavericks will be absolutely rock solid, and all the app developers will have ironed out any bugs in their apps that conflict with Mavericks. So in a year's time, I move into a rock solid platform with all the apps working nice and smooth. While most of you jump to the next OSX and beta test it for me.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I'm looking forward to Mavericks, but I don't really like a new OSX every year. It takes a year to get patched up and by then, we're moving onto a new OS and starting from zero again. I would prefer a big update then a small service pack type update the following year or something. I like what MS is doing with Windows 8. They are updating it for free to 8.1 and it will have a lot of new UI features and fixes.

Yes, I know you don't HAVE to upgrade, but with all the updates and things only supporting the newest OS, you feel like you have to. For example, iCloud and system updates through the App store are only on recent versions of OSX.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Well my point is that there ARE people who indeed still use horse-back for transportation (and probable aslo happy), they are however not a real representation of what an average person would want. Neither do they know what modern transportation is like.

I think people still on Tiger are just missing out a great computer experience by staying on old OS. If it works for you........

I've personally never had Tiger --went from Panther straight to Leopard-- , so I can't comment on that, but currently I'm running ML on my MBA and SL on my desktop. Many of ML's features I don't need on a daily basis, and for what it's worth, SL seems to be a whole lot more stable.

I'm sure that sooner or later, I'll upgrade to Mavericks, but there is no overriding urgency to do so immediately upon it's release. The one notable feature added since ML that is very useful indeed, multiple time machine backups, may make me take the plunge. Cheers!

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I like what MS is doing with Windows 8. They are updating it for free to 8.1 and it will have a lot of new UI features and fixes.

I agree with that although the only reason MS is doing it is because they had such a negative reaction to trying to cram tablet interface where it didn't belong on a computer.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So what exactly would the qualification be to finally move to OS11 other than marketing?

For now, as I'm sure you know, they have decided to go with California places and landmarks, of which OS X 10.9 Mavericks is the first one. It could be followed by names such as Tahoe, Golden Gate, Big Sur, Redwood, Yosemite or even Alcatraz.

But to specifically address your question, OS X was a radical departure from what came before it, ie OS 9, OS 8, System 7, etc., so it would be reasonable to expect another ground-breaking new approach to GUIs, or OSes, for Apple to change to a new main number, as in OS Xl, however they may decide to abandon that numbering scheme for a different one, who knows. And even though it's not something I would consider desirable, there's always that possibility of eventual convergence with iOS.

For now, only Apple knows.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't know about you guys, but Im getting some epic battery life with this last build. I have SSD and HDD, early 2011 13 MBP with i7 (battery health 87%). I'm getting solid 5:30-5:45h on 50% backlight and couple of apps. iTunes, safari, tweet boot, Skype etc.

jimoase

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Is stuttering still a problem with 10.8.5

There is serious problem with 10.8 that causes many operating system functions to halt for up to a few seconds.

Apple has recently taken an active interest in this problem.

Here is hoping interest turns into results.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Not this. That is only relevant if you cannot upgrade to Mavericks, in which case it is not a choice.

The question he/she is probably asking - will people who have a choice not upgrade to Mavericks?

More to the point, any mac that can run ML can run Mavericks. So any mac that can't run Mavericks can't run 10.8 or any of the updates to it either.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I only hope.....

for estability and ease troubleshooting. Hopefully, when Mavericks finally arrives, we will got a very polished OS. That helps Apple: Less bugs to fix, updates to release and less workload in the help front for they.....:D

:):apple:

Diwad

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
Hi guys. Do any of you see any graphics performance improvement on rMBP?

Should I jump into Mavericks as daily driver or it is too early?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.