Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkb123

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Which SSD did you end up using?

Unfortunately, I wasn't as careful as I should've been and got a hair (likely from my puppy) stuck between the screen and LCD.....will probably bug the heck out of me, though not enough to go through the trouble of opening it up again! :p

Almost done loading all my music on it - not sure why only 115GB free.....probably should've done a re-format before loading music onto it but at this point, I'm still a ways off from hitting the 100GB mark for my music anyways!

Its amazing how much lighter the iPod seems with the SSD - and I'm stoked at the additional 35GB of space!

Hi there, which SSD did you end up using? Was it the FZM28GF18H?

Thanks.
Robert

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
This is a ZIF drive. It will only work on iPods 5th, 5.5th and 6th gen.

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
This is a ZIF drive. It will only work on iPods 5th, 5.5th and 6th gen.

Thanks.
I have a Classic 80GB.
I'd be good but .... My iPod is dead no power.
I've tried two new batteries.
Nothing.
Connections all look good, but I can't see spending money on a SSD for an iPod I can't get to power up.

Could the hard drive cause the power problem?

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Could the hard drive cause the power problem?

In my opinion, no. All my iPods prior to (including) the iPod photo start without even the HDD connected. My guess is that you have damaged the battery connector on the logic board. You should inspect it for any damages. Otherwise your ipod could really be dead. :( If so, you can get working logic boards on ebay for a few bucks.

kimonk

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
The kingspecs are too low voltage. They won't work. Check my link I posted--there is a lot more info about what works and what doesn't.

I think you are wrong on this Kingspecs's voltage. According to the spec on the following page, its voltage is rated 3.3V +/-%5

FYI: KingSpec 128GB Notebook Upgrade Series 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD for PC and Mac - KSD-ZF18.6-128MS
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ki...rade-series-1.8-inch-pata-zif-ssd-for-pc-mac/

Had you really tried this drive on the iPod Classic 120GB?

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I saw a Toshiba HG5d mSATA ssd with 256gb for a good price.
In this picture, it says the drive is 3.3v:

C5QsIcI.jpg

I have a 5th gen 30gb iPod video.
Will this mSATA ssd work with an adaptor such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG

Is it plug and play?
Put the mSATA SSD on the mSATA SSD to 40 Pin ZIF Adapter Card and then de adapter on the iPOD?

Cheers!

metroidnemesis

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
For me it's the price. A 256gb mSATA SSD is way cheaper than a 256gb Compact Flash card.

Cheers!

Let me know if you try this--would definitely be interesting to see if this works or not. I was holding out on buying an SSD for mine but the HDD quit last week.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Well, it works. I finally found an original MacBook Air SSD and put it in my iPod Classic and it works great! So much smoother and faster. I'm looking into getting other brands as well to see if they will work.

See attached screenshots...

RG

This is great to know. Had the feeling my 160GB HD was on its way out and was wondering if I could replace it with an SSD. As soon as it does, I'm looking for a new SSD!

cmarti

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Let me know if you try this--would definitely be interesting to see if this works or not. I was holding out on buying an SSD for mine but the HDD quit last week.
I did this but the iPod suffered from overheating and also skipped songs which is pretty annoying...

Willo34

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Netherlands
iPhone speaker.jpeg Bloody hell, didnt even know you could put an ssd in an iPod lol. You live and learn.
Unrelated, a few weeks ago i ordered this nice speaker for my own iPod classic ;-> Bloody briliant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.