Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnigges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Germany
Hey guys,

A few days ago I bought the new iPad. I want to record my lectures at school and would like to know if someone can suggest a good app for recording audio.
It must be possible to record at least 90 minutes and the files shouldn't be that large.

Hope to hearing from you,
Schnigges

MirroRobin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I believe apps like Notability, Notes Plus and Remarks can record audio (check descriptions on iTunes to be sure). Furthermore, they allow you to take notes while doing so, which is great in my opinion. Remarks has just added an audio recording feature a couple of weeks ago and has no way of exporting the audio file from the iPad right now. Therefore, I suggest the other two mentioned apps if you want to listen to the lectures on your laptop for example.

Schnigges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Germany
First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I'll definitely try Notability, which sounds great. But it seems to be a little overkill...
Actually it would be enough to just record the audio, and afterwards I plan to annotate my lecture slides with GoodReader while re-listening to the recorded audio.
So if someone knows an app that "does just this" it would be much appreciated.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I'll definitely try Notability, which sounds great. But it seems to be a little overkill...
Actually it would be enough to just record the audio, and afterwards I plan to annotate my lecture slides with GoodReader while re-listening to the recorded audio.
So if someone knows an app that "does just this" it would be much appreciated.

If you prefer compressed AAC audio, go for Top Secret Audio Recorder ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/top-secret-audio-recorder/id361214813?mt=8 ), it's, currently, the only app in the AppStore with AAC recording capabilities. (Using AAC is way better than CAF or, even worse, WAV if you need as little storage usage as possible). It also supports Also Scheduler, audio activation (with a 10s cooldown), hidden Documents dir and unlock passcode.

If you don't need the least storage usage possible and/or would prefer a recorder with instant editing capabilities and a GREAT waveform-based editor, I recommend Recorder Plus HD ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/recorder-plus-hd/id499490287?mt=8 ).

Also of interest is AudioNote (Lite) ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/audionote-lite-notepad-voice/id379301403?mt=8 ), which allows for not only taking notes during recording, but also directly synchronizing (!!!!!) even the words in your notes to the recorded stream. It may be a godsend if you don't want to synchronize your text with the recording. (Unfortunately, audio recording-wise, it's otherwise pretty dumb.)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I also recommend Notability. I also use Voice Memos sometimes, but more often Notability.

abookin

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Voice Record is free if you like to try it, but includes advertisement inside. For $2.99 you can switch it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.