Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AF08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Huntington Beach
I love my iMac but the one thing I hate is that it only has 4 USB ports...

I have 3 USB 2.0 External Drives.... My digital camera, iPhone, iPad, Kodak Zi8, Elgato Eye, and Harmon/Kardon Sound Sticks... and a few other USB devices...

Can anyone suggest a good Powered USB hub? I have this little 4 port laptop USB hub.. right now, but my external keep disconnecting....

Any help would be suggested, thanks! :D

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Almost any powered USB 2.0 hub would serve you well, but I can personally recommend the 7 port USB 2.0 hub by StarTech.com which you can see at their own site in the US here... http://us.startech.com/product/ST7202USB-7-Port-USB-20-Hub

There is a physical review on YouTube at... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lB1JXX1DXE

The reason I chose this one was because of the power supplied to the ports - it guarantees to meet the USB spec for power to EVERY port, not just one or two at a time and I wanted to put an iPod dock onto it for charging.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I just bought this one and love it. First of all, it's weighted, so it doesn't slide around my desk when I plug stuff into it. Second, all the ports except one are on the back, so you don't see all of the wires sprouting out of the front. Third, I like the status LEDs -- they make it easy to tell when something is acting up. Fourth, it matches the iMac!

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I have purchased two i-rocks IR4610 4-port powered hubs from Newegg. They both work flawlessly. They are small, and the top port is especially useful for quick plug and play. I note that Newegg has the blue one for about $11. Black one is still $18??

tamarakdesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I also have to buy a powered USB hub, and my macbook pro is 2.0 usb, and my new portable hard drive is 3.0, I assume I should get the 2.0 hub, right? it will still work, but slower, correct??

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I bought one of these a couple of months back and am happy with it.
Everything connects up fine without any probs

It's a powered Hub which is definitely recommended.

D-Link DUB H7 Hub - Hi-Speed USB
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=149

Decent price too

I have this one too. It's nice because it has 2 ports that keep charging your iPhone/ipad when your pc is off or disconnected.
:)

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I recently picked up this powered USB 3.0 hub and could not be happier.

Warning, the blue power light is visible from several hundred light years away. You will want to park this in a place on your desk where the direct beam does not shine in your eyes. ;)

There were a number of reviews giving the unit severe demerits based upon the blue light. I view those critiques as user fail. If you can't place it where the light is not an issue, put tape over the light.

TopB

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 8.38.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 8.38.39 PM.png
    750.9 KB · Views: 446
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.