Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Hi guys,

Whilst working, I am getting an intermittent blue screen.

Config:
Mac Pro 5,1 3.3 hex
48GB ECC RAM
240GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
2 x 2TB Caviar Blacks
EVGA GTX680 2GB Mac Edition
- connected to 2 old Dell Displays, both on DVI.
Running up to date ML

Just while I am working (usually in Amira, but also in the finder, sometimes), intermittent, usually lasts only a second or so, affects both displays. Not related to any particular task.

Bit unnerving. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help guys.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I guess your first port of call should be to check the connections to the two screens...Dust can get in there sometimes...After that, I'd check the card itself and reseat it in it's slot, checking the power cables as you go..It sounds GPU related.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
I'd check the card itself and reseat it in it's slot, checking the power cables as you go..It sounds GPU related.

It does seem to happen when people barge through the door near me, so maybe you're right about it not being seated properly. Will have a fiddle...

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Reseated the card and power cables, did an SMC and PRAM reset - all good so far. In the console, the windowserver had been going bananas - disconnection/reconnection of the displays detected all the time.

I am happy now.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Reseated the card and power cables, did an SMC and PRAM reset - all good so far. In the console, the windowserver had been going bananas - disconnection/reconnection of the displays detected all the time.

I am happy now.

It happens more than you'd think...they work loose over time. I've had the same thing happen to me more than once. Glad you're fixed up..:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.