Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I know this has been covered in other threads to some extent, & I apologize if this has been answered previously, but has there been any confirmation that iWork will indeed be free when IOS 7 is introduced?
Thanks...

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
I know this has been covered in other threads to some extent, & I apologize if this has been answered previously, but has there been any confirmation that iWork will indeed be free when IOS 7 is introduced?
Thanks...

There has been a legitimate rumor...But it was in the strings of the App Store application on iOS 7 beta 4

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
This would be great if proven true on Tuesday.

Especially as it's compatible with (whisper it quietly :cool: ) MS Office.

I've never used the iWork suite, but would be one of many that download the apps, I suspect, should Apple decide to promote them in this way.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Why do they make it free while thousands of people already paid 8$ per iWork app?
That's like a kick in the balls!

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Why do they make it free while thousands of people already paid 8$ per iWork app?

Happens all the time with technology though I'm afraid - early adopters always pay the most.

It'd be a market share grab to compete with the MS Office iOS app.

Beyinsis

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013

There is a free ms office with WM 8 and there are some free office apps with android and you know everyday a paid app being free for 24 hours

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

MS Office is expensive in retail. Google Docs comes along with MS Office like web programs, but free. Where was the kick in the balls there?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
iCloud iWork apps for free are yes,
The actual iOS apps will not be free. If anything they would be free only for the 5S like they do w/ the MacBooks and OSX, since now w/ iOS7 we have to activate w/ our apple store sign in if (I'm not mistaken).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One reason to make it free: turn iWork apps into front end to document, spreadsheet, and presentation data, much like how Photos is the front-end to photos, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders for their respective data.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iCloud iWork apps for free are yes,
The actual iOS apps will not be free. If anything they would be free only for the 5S like they do w/ the MacBooks and OSX, since now w/ iOS7 we have to activate w/ our apple store sign in if (I'm not mistaken).

Well since coding shown in the beta shows iWork apps being free, it's quite likely. Only on iOS though. This will encourage use with the iCloud side. If they make it free with the 5S they may as well do it all round.

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
It actually might have been here that I heard this speculation (and it was only speculation) or I could have read the same speculation somewhere else, but some person was speculating that iWork for iCloud could remain free with simplified features whilst the iOS version would add some more and the Desktop version being the fully fleshed out version of the software.

This could actually turn out to be a good idea, in my opinion, as it would introduce people to it and provide free and basic office solutions. Also, could help people over the edge if they were considering purchasing the suite themselves.

Personally, I am waiting for a desktop update. It's been quite a long time since it has been updated with anything of significance.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
I would not be surprised at all if they were free, or at least came down to the $5 pricing apple uses for its iLife iOS apps.

With MS word not coming on the iPad anytime, it seems smart to push your own software in as many hands as possible. See consumer, you don't need Word anyway.

Since these are more iPad centric apps, I wouldn't expect an announcement until the iPad event, though.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Checked and the apps in the UK are still showing with prices.

Are these only free with new iDevice purchases?

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'm disappointed about this.

Here's a question, tho', for those more knowledgable about such things:
I intend to buy an iPad 5 when it comes out, & I'll get the apps free then. Will I be able to put those apps on my iPhone 5 & my wife's iPad 2 from my purchase history? I would think yes, but I'd love to know if my assumption is correct. ¡Muchas gracias!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I'm disappointed about this.

Here's a question, tho', for those more knowledgable about such things:
I intend to buy an iPad 5 when it comes out, & I'll get the apps free then. Will I be able to put those apps on my iPhone 5 & my wife's iPad 2 from my purchase history? I would think yes, but I'd love to know if my assumption is correct. ¡Muchas gracias!

yes, just plug the new device into iTunes and sync them over - providing you have them on the computer in iTunes already.

----------

No, as the device has already been activated once.

It would be interesting to try it though, setting up as a new phone re-activates the phone.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I've tried setting up as new and got to the activation screen and when I opened up the App Store for the first time, there was a popup window, for Apple Apps, but it failed to load, all I got was "Can't connect to iTunes Store". Maybe after the release of iOS 7, older devices will get it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.