Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
update: new GPU and sound settings. ALL BETTER!

Once I'm done, I think I'm going to start creating multiple wrappers for ePSXe, each containing an ISO and the settings tailored specifically for that game.

It's so much more rewarding to tamper with something for a long time, learn from it, and have an end result you can really enjoy. :cool:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Final bug squashed!

I found out more about the black bar on the top! if you disable window decorations, the app will look like an old windows 2000 program, but in fullscreen mode, it draws on the screen correctly!

Is there some sort of conditional window decoration option? Like "decorate unless something is operating in fullscreen mode?"

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Final bug: sound glitches while fighting Deus. There are also slight slowdowns in some scenarios, but I think dropping the resolution a bit would make it perfect.

I LOATHE SPU settings!

Last edited:

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
This runs way better than PCSXR on my 2012 Macbook Air. PCSXR ran OK, but the sound would constantly have ticks in it. It even runs great in full resolution using the Open GL plugin. Except after the intro, except when the gears attack the city the screen in just blank, except for the dialog. Is there a fix?

Anyway, thanks mentaluproar.

And boo to everyone saying to use a PS3. The PS3 does not enhance the games at all, from what I've read. Plus Sony has removed almost every feature that made the PS3 compelling: enhanced backwards-compatability, Linux support, Folding@Home. I'm almost glad Sony had that stuff leaked recently that should make the PS3 permanently hackable. What a bait-and-switch that console is.

EDIT: mentaluproar, it sounds like you found a solution to some of the problems, like black area above or below the graphics. Maybe you could add the solutions to the how-to?

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have posted the fix for the black bar issue, but discovered another annoying bug. Inside the package, I have an alias to a drive_d, which contains the ISO used in that package and is mapped in to show up as a drive D to ePSXe. The drive_d folder is placed in the same place drive_c is, but the alias to it keeps breaking. I don't know why yet. It still works just fine.

I plan on making this execute like a native mac app and resolve the alias glitch. Doh123 probably knows what causes that and the black bar glitch. I saw the alias glitch mentioned in the wineskin forums yesterday, but lost the link.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Here's a quick little tip to create directly launchable games. After you tweak your wrapper exactly as you like (GPU settings, etc) and drop your ISO directly into the wrapper somewhere (Please rip games that you actually own, and use the terminal to do so) you can tell the emulator to skip right to the game.

Option+launch the wrapper. click advanced. under exe flags, put:
-nogui -loadbin "D:\Megaman Legends 2.iso"

Change the path and image name to whatever and wherever the ISO is within the wrapper.

This is a great way to keep each game tweaked to the best settings possible, since each has different needs.

Attachments

• X_epsxe.png
    X_epsxe.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 213

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Here's a quick little tip to create directly launchable games. After you tweak your wrapper exactly as you like (GPU settings, etc) and drop your ISO directly into the wrapper somewhere (Please rip games that you actually own, and use the terminal to do so) you can tell the emulator to skip right to the game.

This is a great way to keep each game tweaked to the best settings possible, since each has different needs.

This is a great tip, thanks.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
If I can find a way for it to prompt which disc to use before each launch, multi-disc games could take advantage of this too.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Could any of you test this out with a macbook air? I'm very curious how those little things would handle this.

BoxOfSnoo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
After struggling to get PCSX working on my Mac, I tried this out, and it works perfectly! Thanks!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Holding yourself back on versions is no longer important for AMD GPU owners. Apple fixed the problem in the latest osx update.

kazenmazen

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
ePSXe freezes when trying to configure GPU

Help anyone? I tried to follow mental's instructions to the letter (but differed in the versions of the apps). However, whenever I try to configure the GPU, the program freezes.

Engine: WS9Wine1.5.29
Wrapper: Wineskin-2.5.9
Emulator: ePSXe 1.8.0

Appreciate your help guys.

EDIT: Got it to run using a later Wineskin engine 1.5.8

Last edited:

Musician

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
I found the best graphics settings for Xenogears. Look here:
ogl2_best.png
When the checkbox 'Use pixel shader for PSX texture window' is marked you can use Maximum shader level of "AA + Natural Vision" shader:
sample.png

And here is that shader (I found it on some emu forum):
View attachment AA + Natural Vision shader.zip

Last edited:

Musician

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Any help on getting a PS3 controller to work? Controller is connected, and I was able to map the buttons but that's, but when I load up the ISO no luck on it working.
When I played Xenogears on Mac I had to open Controller settings in ePSXe and press 1-2 buttons on PS3 gamepad there. I did it before loading ISO. After this operation the gamepad worked properly.

Akashshr

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Problem with PCSX-R Disk change

Hey all, Please help me solve this problem, its really been a long time I am stuck with it.
Or re direct me to the right thread,

I am using PCSX-R playing legend of the dragoon ( 4 CD game ).
I just finished the first one, and at the "please insert disk 2" screen, I am lost and dont know what to do. I have tried many things.

Things I have tried:-
1) There is an "Eject CD" option then just hangs the application.

2) On the "Pease insert disk 2" screen I just go to file and click recently run disks and choose disk 2 there in the menu. Then the game displays, "Please while while checking for right disk" and then displays "wrong CD inserted"

Please I really want to play this game, you are god if you can help me figure this out.

PS- I run it on the MAC version of PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.93
I am using ISO files to load the game disks
I have got to the end of the first CD by using freeze state and Defrost state! In game memory card dont work, even though I have them set up. *Thats a different problem*

Thanks everyone!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Sorry, but this thread is for ePSXe in OSX, not PCSXr. I have had too much trouble with PCSX and have decided not to write a thread about it.

Read the instructions for running ePSXe instead. You will be much happier with the result.

juantoothree4

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
Hey, hope you are still here.

I think my problem here is that my dGPU is not being recognized by Wineskin or ePSXe. I say this because when I run ePSXe.exe with Wineskin, using Pete's OpenGL2, I am only getting black screen when running a game. I can hear the audio, but nothing on display. I ran a game on OpenGL only and it worked, saw the display. I also say that my dGPU is not recognized because when I go to my Video Config for ePSXe, the GFX Card RAM is only recognizing up to 128MB of VRAM -- I can't choose anything more.

Now this may be because of my hardware, I am not sure. I am using a rMBP 15' Feb 2013, with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB.

Can you help me please? I would like to be able to use my awesome Graphics card.

Thank you

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Turn off your graphics switching, so it always uses the nivida... see if it works different.

If that does help, I always use a tool called gfxCardStatus, where you can lock in either intel or nvidia quickly and easily, as there are often times you want to lock the intel on, since it can handle many things Apple has it turn the nvidia on for... and it just wastes battery.

juantoothree4

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
Yes. I forgot to mention I have already tried doing this but to no success. I am currently using the gfxCardStatus you mentioned.

To add more info, on ePSXe, when configuring the video settings, some options are not available. This is why I think my gfx card is not being recognized. I'm probably wrong, I don't know much so I don't know what could be the reason and how I would go about fixing this.

Also I am not using this settings or driver to play. I can't, it only gives black screen. I have to use OpenGL only, not 2.0.

V9TP4QB.png

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to run ePSXe on a Mac without installing windows.

I have the same computer. Epsxe and wineskin will automatically recognize your dGPU just fine. If you want to test this, run the app. You don't need to start a game, just run the app. While it is running, go to Apple, about this Mac, more info. It should show the name of the card it is currently using.

I don't know what version of the plugin you are running. The options look different. Use Pete's OGL 2 renderer v2.9. Make sure you set render mode to 2, use framebuffer object.

Edit: wow, I feel dumb. It does use the intel by default! I probably never noticed because I use the HDMI out for epsxe, which forces the dGPU on.

Still, most play station games should run great on the intel HD 4000.

juantoothree4

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
Running Wineskin actually switches my video card to the dGPU one automatically. I just wasn't sure if ePSXe recognizes it, but I think that's not the case now.

I have gotten the OpenGL2 2.9 plugin and still doesn't work for me, just black screen again. When I switched to render mode 2 - framebuffer object - like you preferred, it just gives white screen with green and pink thin lines instead of black.

I have tried using ePSXe v1.8.0 and v1.9.0, OpenGL2 still don't work. This may not be because of Mac itself, but maybe just an ePSXe common problem. But I am not really good at troubleshooting ePSXe, maybe I should them for help. I also don't know what most of these settings mean or purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.